Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Price to replace rear brake pads $355?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 01:22 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Originally Posted by highline
I will google tonite, but I'm in the same boat...diy or pay someone...I'd rather do it myself, but have never done anything with brakes...Is there a good write up (taco bill?) for the s197? Do i have to bleed? I will be replacing rotors and pads...
If you need help, just give me a shout, you can come over to my house and I will give you a hand. We can get Curartorpatronus (Greg) to come help too

It is easy.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:30 PM
highline
4th Gear Member

haynes, nice suggestion...I may take you up on that oddy...I will order the parts this week...
Old 04-10-2012, 02:00 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

haynes, nice suggestion...I may take you up on that oddy...I will order the parts this week...
Just let me know
Old 04-10-2012, 02:18 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

I will google tonite, but I'm in the same boat...diy or pay someone...I'd rather do it myself, but have never done anything with brakes...Is there a good write up (taco bill?) for the s197? Do i have to bleed? I will be replacing rotors and pads...
I did not have to bleed them. If you use the proper tool (linked to earlier) to retract the piston properly, there should be no introduction of air into the line, and thus you should not have to bleed the brakes.

Don
Old 04-10-2012, 02:29 PM
incorrigible
2nd Gear Member

Here is a decent write up

Fronts are much easier than the backs as no piston rotation is needed. Bleeding is unnecessary.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:26 PM
blue.eyes_crying

I just bought new calibers an rotors an brakes for the back of mine an the parts was just $231 dollars an labor was free its not that hard to do it your self but my best friend wouldn't let me do it alone so he helped me.Not sure who is trying to rip you off but that's what they trying to do.An that price includes 14 extra i had to spend for caliber bracket that bolt broke off in.I am just glad i got it done an i have both back brakes working instead one an didn't know that till tore it apart that explained why she fishtailed in the rain so much.I will know for sure next time it rains though.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:32 PM
6-Speed
2nd Gear Member

Be sure to inspect the guide pin boots and check that the pins turn and slide freely without binding. I got in the habit of just pulling the pins, cleaning and re-greasing them with caliper grease whenever I service the brakes.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:04 AM
highline
4th Gear Member

see, this is what scares me...I have no idea what a guide pin boot is, or does...most likely why I'll be having someone else do this...especially with brakes...they seem pretty important to safe driving...
Old 04-11-2012, 12:06 PM
Rylay
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigDinTexas
Simple answer. NO. And not no, but HELL NO...

You could purchase Hawk HPS pads for front and back and get your OEM rotors turned for alot less than what you are being quoted for just the rear. The only tool you'll need besides your basic socket set is a brake caliper compressor tool. I purchased mine at Harbor Freight for $10.

Do it yourself and save the money for other mods.

Don
and a brake caliper compressor tool can be a 'C' clamp and scrap wood....
Old 04-11-2012, 12:11 PM
Rylay
3rd Gear Member

see, this is what scares me...I have no idea what a guide pin boot is, or does...most likely why I'll be having someone else do this...especially with brakes...they seem pretty important to safe driving...
do you have a father or close friend who's handy or a pesky neighbor? or anyone really to watch over your shoulder? changing your own brakes is along the same lines as changing your own oil.

just make sure that the rubber boots compress nicely and don't have and brakes or tears in them. you should even have to worry about it, really

Quick Reply: Price to replace rear brake pads $355?