Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitto Motivo test and review

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 10:06 PM
JimC

Default Nitto Motivo test and review

I was selected by Nitto to test out their new Motivo all season high performance tires on my 2006 Mustang. I have been running the Pirelli Pzero Nero tires on this car since it was new – almost 6 years and 198,000 miles ago. The new tires arrived this week and I was able to get them on the car Saturday. Made for an interesting trip to the tire store for the process of dismounting my Pirelli’s and putting the Nitto Motivo on the car; imagine trying to put 4 tires into a Mustang. So with 30 degree temperature and the sun shining I dropped the top on the convertible and loaded the Nitto Motivo’s into the car for my first top down drive of the year 2012.

So far I have been impressed! They run much quieter than my Pirellis did on the road. The ride felt much smoother too on the way back home and I noticed that the braking seems more assured and the slotted rotors don’t seem to be making the same amount of noise either. Handling is somewhat better as well so far. I’m anxious to see how they do in the rain now. It is a little late in the season to try out the snow performance.

Last edited by JimC; 04-10-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:58 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

giggity the sidewall is ugly on that tire. seems like a decent all season option though
Old 04-11-2012, 05:50 AM
fordplay
1st Gear Member

How is the sidewall ugly? I have liked nittos performance, if they made them to fit my rims id look into them. By the way that drive had to be awesome
Old 04-11-2012, 09:07 AM
highline
4th Gear Member

I'll agree that they are not the best looking sidewall...do they really say "outside"...OP, why were your slotted rotors making noise, and how did the tire aid this?
Old 04-11-2012, 10:07 AM
07mark
2nd Gear Member

I was hoping to also get selected from Nitto since have to get tires in May. Haven't heard from. Glad you wrote this, might help decide between purchasing these or Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires have been reading about.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:49 AM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

Havent tired these but the Nittos I have gotten the 555's are great. So I would recomend them over the Michelins
Old 04-11-2012, 11:17 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Interesting Jim I have heard about their new tires! Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:44 AM
JimC

They do say "outside" on them.

And highline - with the Pirelli's for some reason the noise from the slotted rotors during braking was carried through to the inside of the car. That was the first thing I noticed - came up to the stop light and stepped on the brake and the noise wasn't transmitted. The Nitto definitely runs quieter than the Pirelli's on the road, so that had to account for it. I just know that the ride and stopping is quieter than it was before and the Pirelli's were fairly new (I wish that Nitto would have let me know I was selected and shipped the tires 3 weeks earlier - I have an almost new set of Pirelli's in the shed now because it was time to replace and I hadn't heard from them).
Old 04-11-2012, 12:16 PM
07mark
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
I wish that Nitto would have let me know I was selected and shipped the tires 3 weeks earlier - I have an almost new set of Pirelli's in the shed now because it was time to replace and I hadn't heard from them).
Man they didn't even let you know that you were selected?
How long in between you requesting tires for review and when they arrived?
I might wait a little longer just in case. i would hate to buy new tires then get a free set.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:27 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

hows the price on these compared to say pirelli, goodyear, michelin, etc.?

you gonna take these on a road course, or track?

Quick Reply: Nitto Motivo test and review