Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on what I should do about this dealer.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 05:55 PM
attz0r

Default Opinions on what I should do about this dealer.

Alright, last week I signed all the papers and completed all the financing information to purchase a brand new 2012 mustang GT. I wanted no options, just the color red and the gt base package, so the located me one, it just accross the GA/SC line down in Hardeesville SC. I wanted read or grabber blue, and settled on red. Before I even started the papers, I asked several times, "so you will have this car here for me tomorrow?" always getting the "yes of course, we will send a driver down tomorrow morning to pick the car up and have it to you before you get off of work."

So the next day comes, no call by 5pm, so I call, the sales person says he'll go ask where the driver is at and he'll call me back. 45 minutes pass andno call (this becomes standard, no call backs after I had already signed all the papers) so I called him, and he tells me like it's no big deal, "oh they didn't send anyone today, it will be here tomorrow or saturday." And at this point my blood is boiling, I had been reassured that my car would be there that day, and after I had signed the papers on the car, I didn't really mean anything to the dealer. So I went down to talk with the sales manager about why my car hadn't been delivered as promised and he didn't even come over, I had to deal with the finance guy, who had nothing to do with selling me this car, but seems to be the only person who gives a damn about the customer. After argueing, explaining that I was expecting the car that day because I sold my previous car already and had to work the next day, they let me leave in a new 2012 v6 mustang, which was disappointing, and they gave me free oil changes for a year and 3 free tanks of gas (which was oddly forgotten when I went in today.)

So here comes my real issue, I was sold a misrepresented car, I agreed to buy a new 2012 mustang gt base model, no options, in red, and for the most part I got that, aside from one major issue: I dark blue pin stripe with a little horse on the front fender. I saw this the second I walked up to the car at the dealer when I came to pick it up, and I said to the salesman, "I can bring this back by to get this pin stripe removed, right?" thinking that it was just a tape stripe. He told me just come back by next week when the body shop was open and he'd have them take it right off. So thats what I did, I went by today, waited for 25-30 minutes while the detailer was working on it, then the salesman came back, I was suprised that it had taken such a short time, but then he proceeds to tell me that the stripe is not just a tape stripe, it's paint, under the clear coat.

My heart sank at this point, I had just been told that the car I just spent $30,000 on has a dark blue, incredible noticable and stupid looking pin stripe premantly on the side of it, something that I told the sales person on pick up that I did not like, and had I know that this would be on the car before I bought it, I would not have even considered buying it. Ontop of it having this horrible pin stripe, it came to me with 600 miles already on it, the car was only 280 miles away, so that means it had around 300 miles already before it was even delivered to me.

So for a resolution, I was offered two free tanks of gas, (I guess they had already forgotten about the other two, I mean it had been nearly 4 days, no one can remember something like that for 4 days.) And I just kind of blow the sales guy off because I was furious and he clearly didn't give a damn, considering he already got the sale. So I walked back to my car in a rage and asked the first non-salesperson manager I saw about this pinstripe and what my options were, I told her that I was not going to beable to live with this, that I told the salesman right away I didn't want the stripe and showed here the window sticker with no mention of this pinstripe. She went inside and got the sales manager, who said he could swap it out for another one, ok great, find me another red one and I'll take it, but there was no red ones left matching my options. So he gave me the option of living with the pinstripe, taking a black car or paying $1,700 out of pocket for a red one with the brembo brake package. Or how I see it: take a car I don't want, take a car I don't want or take a car I kind of want but have to pay $1,700 for.

Seeing as I do NOT want a black car, I told him to call the ford dealer with the brembo car to make sure they had it and to see if it had the pinstripe aswell, well that was 8 hours ago and I haven't heard anything back from him, I called once and he never called me back.

So as of now, I'm stuck with a awesome car that has a horrible pin stripe that I cannot stand, I don't have $1,700 cash to dish out to get the car I would even want and I can't even get a phone call back. I have no idea what to do about this awful dealer, they provide zero customer service and really don't care about what happens after they already got the sale. I spent $30,000 at this dealer, the least they can do is deliver me the car I paid for, and not try and give me one I don't want or one I have to pay $1,700 for.

Cliffs: spent 30k on a car, was lied to about deliverly dates to get me to just sign the papers, got sent a car with a painted and clear coated pinstripe that I did not want, then got basicly told I'm stuck with it or I can take a car I don't want.

What would you guys do? I know I'm hard to please but I'm 20 years old and I just spent 30 grand on a brand new car, I want what I paid for.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:12 PM
Rainson
3rd Gear Member

Other than dealing with the dealer, call Ford coperate.
Or go to http://www.bbb.org/ file a complaint against the dealer, they will receive a letter from BBB about the cosumer complaint..
Old 04-11-2012, 06:12 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Well I've been in a similar situation, I'm only 20 as well and two summers ago ordered my first car, 2011 Mustang GT.

If it were me, I would go in and say you'll trade them all of their stupid perks, gas, maintenance, oil changes or whatever they offered you, and tell them that they can either eat the loss on getting you the brembo GT or they can give you all of your money back and you'll walk away leaving them with a stupidly pinstriped red 2012 GT on their lot.

If they weren't willing to REALLY bargain with you after the mess ups they've made, I'd just walk away from that dealership and figure out something with another. Not to mention that 30K for a base 2012GT sounds high (unless that's before all current rebates out there).
Old 04-11-2012, 06:19 PM
06_footy
2nd Gear Member

That dealership needs to be reported.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:19 PM
tbar
2nd Gear Member

I bought a truck this way once. I just put down a deposit and when they brought the truck in from the other lot it had to meet my approval or the deposit was refunded. Did you not put anything in the contract about the vehicle meeting you approval. I would take it back and demand your money back if that doesnt work have a lawyer give them a call.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:29 PM
attz0r

Well the 30k was after all the taxes and gap insurance, the price of the car was about 27k, I didn't take the rebates, I took 0% financing, and I used the X plan via my company (who is a big supporter of ford, hell the service department uses paper floor mats with my companies name on them, and my company is an upscale service station.)

I already called ford, they were very kind and basicly told me that I'd have to deal with the dealership directly. If this isn't resolved properly, I'll be file a complaint with the BBB, either way it goes I'm complaining to ford directly.

As for leaving the car on the lot, one of the managers was very concerned about how they were going to sell the car, she was telling the other manager that they were going to have to try and remove the little horse and make it one solid stripe and try and sell it that way. It really is a stupid looking stripe, you would be hard pressed to find someone willing to live with it.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:47 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

reach out to the highest person you can at the dealership - the owner, or the VP if you can't reach the owner. they will typically ensure you are taken care of.

if they refuse to take care of you, read out to ford corporate.

**** happens. I bet they didn't even think to look for some weird custom pinstripe on a car. what they should offer to do is to have those panels repainted perfectly and to your standards.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:49 PM
mph07alloy
3rd Gear Member

You had an agreement, they misrepresented the car, maybe not intentionally but it's still not what you agreed to. They are in the wrong and you need to stand your ground and don't give in. You should make them get you exactly what you want or take your business somewhere else. You are spending your hard earned money on a new car and it needs to be exactly what you want! I had a similar situation with my gray 2007. It arrived and it had a horrible gold decal down the sides. Luckily it peeled right off with a heat gun.

Stick to your guns, don't settle for something you aren't happy with. That awful stripe should be enough to void the contract. If you have a friend or family who is a lawyer it may not hurt to get them involved if they still want to give you a hassle about it. Sometimes just 1 letter from an attorney gets things done................Good luck!
Old 04-11-2012, 06:51 PM
HIS S-197
1st Gear Member

Looks like you've done your due dilligence with calling Ford, and you've been given some viable options by a few members here. Whatever you do, DO NOT take no for an answer. Remember, "the squeaky wheel gets the oil" and let us know how this pans out.

On a side note... I am rather curious to see just how awful this blue pin stripe is... PICS?
Old 04-11-2012, 07:49 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

I feel your pain, I would be extremely upset if a new car I was buying was delivered to me different then what I asked for.. And the mileage being that high for new is unacceptable as well. Do what others on here have mentioned, I would try to reach out to a Ford PR rep, and also spread the story on several automotive boards that are related to Ford and Mustangs and eventually it will get their attention. And believe it or not but if it's a large dealership they more than likely have a Facebook and it's easy to persuade the masses on social media nowadays. Leaving negative comments about how you were unhappy with the business you received from "such and such" dealership will get their attention.

Quick Reply: Opinions on what I should do about this dealer.