Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Annoying 10-beep chime at 80 MPH and above...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 09:43 PM
DougFL
1st Gear Member

Question Annoying 10-beep chime at 80 MPH and above...

My 2005 GT came standard with the crappy 4 gauge dash without the message center an no my color. Not sure why they even made that option...

So anyway, I went ahead and acquired the part and did the upgrade to get with the times and now I have the wonderful 6 guage cluster with the message center and the cool *** My Color. Love it!!

Only one small "issue" if you will. Every time I hit 80 mph, I get this annoying *** beep that chimes 10 times. It will then stop but if I keep it pegged at 80 or above it gives me the same chime every 1 or 2 minutes or so.

Now yes I know there are no 80 mph speed zones in the US, but hey we don't drive Mustangs to go the speed limit.

So my question is - does anyone else have this? Is it a factory setting and is it a setting that can be turned off (like the seat belt chime). It's driving me insane! Thanks for any thoughts/ideas/info...
Old 04-14-2012, 09:53 PM
ironh19
3rd Gear Member

thats weird.. my 05 nor my 07 made that noise.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:57 PM
red96v6
2nd Gear Member

Actually the max speed limit is 85mph in Texas lol...

But in answer to your question, no I have never heard or experienced this. My 07 came from the factory with the 6 cluster and My Color too.

Might wanna read through this thread:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...g-chime-3.html

And this one:
https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...t-75mph-2.html

Last edited by red96v6; 04-14-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:58 PM
josh87

my 05 doesnt do that at all. but i wanted to know where you got that dash kit at? i would love to have it. I have the simple one with speed,tech, temp and gas. I would like to have the color and all.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:59 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Sounds like My Key program on the newer cars......my '07 never did that.

Any thought from Ford?
Old 04-14-2012, 10:15 PM
Janorton05
1st Gear Member

I was bored so did some searching

Apparently from what other threads and forums are saying if you take your car into Ford they can reload the "as-is data" or something like that which will basically sync your cluster to your cars ECU and stop the annoying chime. I had to have them reload factory data into my old focus once before and the cost was 1 hours work, even though it only took 30 minutes, and cost me about 60 bucks.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:22 PM
DougFL
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Janorton05
I was bored so did some searching

Apparently from what other threads and forums are saying if you take your car into Ford they can reload the "as-is data" or something like that which will basically sync your cluster to your cars ECU and stop the annoying chime. I had to have them reload factory data into my old focus once before and the cost was 1 hours work, even though it only took 30 minutes, and cost me about 60 bucks.
Thanks. I'm gonna swing by Maroone Ford Monday and have them take a look. I even tuned it with my SCT tuner to the 93 octane racing tune to see if it made any difference but none. Not showing any codes either.

Ill post what I find here if anyone else ever encounters it. Thanks for the tips...
Old 04-14-2012, 10:26 PM
05MineralGrayV6
3rd Gear Member

mine does it at 75 mph it will chime a few times but if I set the cruize at 76 or above it doesnt go off again until i slow down under 75 then go past it again it use to really anoy me but ive grown use to it I use it to avoid tickets. strangly enough it also chimes when im in reverse just like a garbage truck backing up annoys the schit out of me.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:36 PM
DougFL
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by josh87
my 05 doesnt do that at all. but i wanted to know where you got that dash kit at? i would love to have it. I have the simple one with speed,tech, temp and gas. I would like to have the color and all.
Hey Josh, that is what I had originally too. This was by far the simplest upgrade I have ever done (not considering this damn annoying chime which i didnt have before).

First thing is pull out the little three would-be buttons in the center above the radio closet to you. They are three fake buttons. There should be a wiring connection harness to the middle one when you pull it out. That is the wiring for the information center. It is in most (at least GT's) even without the option. If you have that there you are good to go. If not, you will need to do some re-wiring (not sure how hard that would be).

Assuming you have it, you will need to order the 6 guage cluster and the switch. You can order it from here:

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...?siteid=214072

Its a Ford dealer in CA called Horizon Ford. Can probably order from any, but this seemed to be the simplist route. You register for the site and send an email (Tim is the guys name overt there). Tim will give you the info you need.

The cost I paid for the cluster and switch was around $400. I believe but worth every penny. There is also a $300 core charge that you get back when you send your current guage cluster back to Ford (they provide you a box and prepaid shipping to do so).

You have to tell them the mileage on your current speedo so they can program the new one to match (don't lie or you can kiss your core charge good bye and you would be committing fraud).

Then once you get the guage and the switch and have about 15 minutes of free time. You pull the old one off (there are a few clips holding it all in) and disconnect the one connection it has, connect that to the new one and set it in place and clip the cover back on. Peel off the protective film and your almost done.

Then you unplug the wiring harness from your fake buttons and plug it into the back of the new REAL buttons and snap it into place. You are done. That is it.

I found some directions somewhere, Ill find the link (it was to another forum) that explains it in better detail with pics, but if you contact Tim over at that Horizong Ford place he can help get you set up. Just make sure when you place the order, you order the right parts! lol

It is definately worth the time and money as you get all the cool info: My Color, Miles to Empty, Gas Mileage, etc. Well worth it. Ill post the other link as soon as I can find it. Good luck. Let me know if you have any questions. Just be cautioned with the potential of the annoying beep. lol
Old 04-14-2012, 10:37 PM
DougFL
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05MineralGrayV6
strangly enough it also chimes when im in reverse just like a garbage truck backing up annoys the schit out of me.
Yes I forgot to mention I have that now too. lol That one is really annoying. lol

Quick Reply: Annoying 10-beep chime at 80 MPH and above...