Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chugging Sound - Think It May Be Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 07:39 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Default Chugging Sound - Think It May Be Brakes

When I'm slowing down, once I get real slow about to stop, if I listen a bit I can hear a chugging sound. It sounds like it may have something to do with the ABS.

Ideas?

Thanks
Old 04-15-2012, 08:03 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Push the clutch in.....

Could just be the brakes are applied so lightly that they are not making solid contact. Try a brisk stop and see if the noise is there.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:51 PM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

That happens to me as well every now and then. And it tends to be when my fuel tank is full right after filling up. If it's the same sound that you're talking about, my guess would be that it's just the gas moving around as you're making a stop.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:29 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Antonio323
That happens to me as well every now and then. And it tends to be when my fuel tank is full right after filling up. If it's the same sound that you're talking about, my guess would be that it's just the gas moving around as you're making a stop.
Nope, got about a quarter tank of gas.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:05 AM
ZPounds07GT
3rd Gear Member

Does the chugging go away after the brakes have warmed up or does it always sound like that? Also have you checked the pads?

Does it sound like a chug or like a grunt or kind of like sand paper rubbing on something just at a higher pitch? I know my rear pads were metal to metal when they sounded like sand paper was being applied instead of the brakes, it stopped like it too!..
Old 04-16-2012, 12:26 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AzPete
Could just be the brakes are applied so lightly that they are not making solid contact. Try a brisk stop and see if the noise is there.
Would better pads help that? Or can I adjust brake pressure?
Old 04-16-2012, 02:06 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Different pads could change it. Also, have you checked for a warped rotor? Light application of the brakes on a warped rotor can make some odd sounds.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:53 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Different pads could change it. Also, have you checked for a warped rotor? Light application of the brakes on a warped rotor can make some odd sounds.
How do I do that?
Old 04-16-2012, 03:01 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

It may be hard to see...

Do you feel any pulsing of the brake pedal.....like it wants to push back at your foot? That is one indication.

The other is to spin each wheel and watch the rotor spin in relationship to the brake caliper. This may be hard to see the problem at this point because the warp could be so small.

Are you sure the pads are not wearing out? These cars should have a tab that makes noise when the brakes are down to a min. amount of pad left. May be time for a regular brake job.....
Old 04-16-2012, 03:04 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

It may be hard to see...

Do you feel any pulsing of the brake pedal.....like it wants to push back at your foot? That is one indication.

The other is to spin each wheel and watch the rotor spin in relationship to the brake caliper. This may be hard to see the problem at this point because the warp could be so small.

Are you sure the pads are not wearing out? These cars should have a tab that makes noise when the brakes are down to a min. amount of pad left. May be time for a regular brake job.....
I don't feel the pedal pulsing but I do feel the brakes pulsing

Quick Reply: Chugging Sound - Think It May Be Brakes