Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang GT or Corvette (base model)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 09:41 AM
Lifeexplorer

Default Mustang GT or Corvette (base model)

OK, I know they are very different cars, and I just need some opinions.

Firstly I am very leery about the quality of both vehicles. I am really tired of reading reviews on how powerful those cars are. You know what, if the car doesn't run or run properly, it has got zero power. So I am hesitating to buy either one.

I understand there's a huge price difference. Mustang GT is at about $30K while a base Corvette $50K.

Money is one thing but if I spend money especially $50K on a car, I need to know that it is reliable at least to the level of my Honda - 10+ years, 1 repair.

I am not leaning towards the Vette mostly because I don't want to baby my car. A car is meant to be driven, scratched and sometimes, a little bump here and there. I like to drive it every day if I have it and I don't want to let it sit in my garage and only drive it during weekend. I may even take it to the track and learn how to drag race. Another thing is the Vette sits so slow that every drive way is a potential for damaging the car.

For the Mustang GT, I keep hearing comments like it's a unreliable junk car, which my early ownership of a GT confirms. It also doesn't project an image of quality and being classy. :-( I agree with the quality part but don't really agree with "being classy" part.

So what do you guys think?
Old 04-16-2012, 09:57 AM
Shift
2nd Gear Member

You come to a Mustang forum and ask whether to get a Mustang or a Vette? Don't you realize we're all going to probably say Mustang! best advice is to do what you want though.

edit: Mustangs aren't junk. Mine runs just fine. I typically wouldn't buy a Ford but the Mustang is the exception. It's better than the Camaro, and Challeneger from what I hear and have experienced. Also of course it's not supposed to be classy. They have the image of new age muscle car. What you drive reflects sometimes who you are. Especially that in which you do to it.

Last edited by Shift; 04-16-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:59 AM
Lifeexplorer

Originally Posted by JJP SuperStang
You come to a Mustang forum and ask whether to get a Mustang or a Vette? Don't you realize we're all going to probably say Mustang! best advice is to do what you want though.
Haha, I also went to Corvette forum to ask the same question. This way I get both sides of opinions. :-)
Old 04-16-2012, 10:03 AM
BrandonsBlueStang
1st Gear Member

+1

I've personally never driven, or even rode in a corvette, so I don't know pros/cons of one, however, mustang0672's brother (I believe) owned a corvette, maybe you could message him or he'll see this and post some differences that he's seen in the two
Old 04-16-2012, 10:05 AM
Shift
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lifeexplorer
Haha, I also went to Corvette forum to ask the same question. This way I get both sides of opinions. :-)
That's good but do know that you'll get all corvette response from them and mostly all mustang from here. I do not like Corvettes for the simple reason I find them overpriced. 40-50 grand for basically an engine cause the base ones are literally made of like plastic. Poke the back bumper and you'll see instantly.

We bought a Porsche over the Vette and never looked back. So a nice Porsche vert and a coupe mustang GT is a perfect match of fun. Vetted are nice don't get me wrong but they are a whole different image and yes they are more sports car and garage queen style of cars than are Mustangs. Mustangs can take some abuse.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:07 AM
Lifeexplorer

Originally Posted by BrandonsBlueStang
+1

I've personally never driven, or even rode in a corvette, so I don't know pros/cons of one, however, mustang0672's brother (I believe) owned a corvette, maybe you could message him or he'll see this and post some differences that he's seen in the two
You can comment on the Mustang then. :-)
Old 04-16-2012, 10:09 AM
Lifeexplorer

That's good but do know that you'll get all corvette response from them and mostly all mustang from here. I do not like Corvettes for the simple reason I find them overpriced. 40-50 grand for basically an engine cause the base ones are literally made of like plastic. Poke the back bumper and you'll see instantly.

We bought a Porsche over the Vette and never looked back. So a nice Porsche vert and a coupe mustang GT is a perfect match of fun. Vetted are nice don't get me wrong but they are a whole different image and yes they are more sports car and garage queen style of cars than are Mustangs. Mustangs can take some abuse.
Porsche is on the table too. :-)

What images do the Vette and Porsche project?
Old 04-16-2012, 10:11 AM
HIS S-197
1st Gear Member

@ Lifeexplorer
I thought it was between a Mustang and a 328ix sedan?
I guess you sold the SO on an American Muscle Car.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:11 AM
Shift
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lifeexplorer
Porsche is on the table too. :-)

What images do the Vette and Porsche project?
Depends on age. Older gentlemen with Vette: mid life crisis. Younger guy: fun sports car
Old gentlemen with Porsche: has class younger guy: fun sports car.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:14 AM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Are you looking at new cars of both? Have you actually sat in either of these vehicles? You seem to be all over the board as you mentioned (if I recall correctly) in another thread about a BMW too... All of these vehicles are so dynamically different from another that they really don't compete for the same buyers. What are some of your wants, needs in your vehicle? Will this be a DD or weekend ride? Do you do long distance driving or have a need to in this next vehicle? Will you be carrying a passenger or two ever, often, never?

My BIL has a 2002 Z06. I drove it 2 years ago, so my recollection might be fuzzy, but from what I recall, it was difficult to get in and out with ease. I am not small (5'10", 280lbs), so that definitely doesn't help. The interior was of lower quality than my 2005 GT. Now mind you this was a C5 and it was 8 years old at the time. A newer C6 would likely be different (better) interior wise, but the low seating would be the same and the egress and exit would still be difficult.

Don

Quick Reply: Mustang GT or Corvette (base model)