Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-23-2015, 12:11 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Headlight Install

Old 04-16-2012, 11:00 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Default Headlight Install

Hey guys,

I will buying a pair of halo headlights soon and wanted to get some information on the install so that when they arrive I can get right to it.

I want the halos come on with my turn-signals (unless this is really difficult, then I will go with the fogs.) What do I have to do in order to make this work? Do I need to slice wires, figure out how to run a cable to the switch in the cab, what? A step by step would be phenomenal; any photos would be great too.

Thanks.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:17 AM
adidasUNT8
3rd Gear Member

Chances are that the instruction manual will most likely come with directions on how to install them, I would think. I think you can splice into one of the wires on the back-side of the headlight switch. It isn't difficult to do, but I wouldn't attempt it without instructions.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:11 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LordRipberger
I want the halos come on with my turn-signals (unless this is really difficult, then I will go with the fogs.) What do I have to do in order to make this work? Do I need to slice wires, figure out how to run a cable to the switch in the cab, what? A step by step would be phenomenal; any photos would be great too.
You can do what I believe you're inferring, but it would involve tapping your high-beams using a latching relay. Slap a latching relay on either of the high beam lines, so when you flash them briefly your halos are triggered on, then a subsequent flash will trigger them back off again. No drilling, no running a switch, etc..

This is from the installing HID thread a page over I answered last night, gives all the car's wiring:
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=40&viewfile...0Autolamps.pdf
using http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=40&viewfile=Symbols.pdf(page 3 to verify color wiring abbreviations)

Really, I'd just wire a relay (if it doesn't come with one) to the parking lights so the halos are on when the parking lights are on.

Last edited by wayne613; 04-16-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:29 PM
Andrew Christian
2nd Gear Member

http://www.americanmuscle.com/smoked...0509.html#tab2

Best installation guide out there. Go to the middle of the page and go to the "Installation" tab. There is a nice video which should guide you step by step.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:39 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wayne613
Really, I'd just wire a relay (if it doesn't come with one) to the parking lights so the halos are on when the parking lights are on.
This is what I wanted. I had a brain fart and could not think of parking lights. In my head I kept seeing my turn-signal lights on (parking lights) and wanted the halos to come on at the same time.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:09 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LordRipberger
This is what I wanted. I had a brain fart and could not think of parking lights. In my head I kept seeing my turn-signal lights on (parking lights) and wanted the halos to come on at the same time.
Not sure if the video linked by Andrew does this or not, probably not, and is inline with the parking lights, meaning it's actually getting it's load power from the same line. Not sure how much those will draw, but as a good general rule of thumb it's not a good idea to add after-market stuff to an existing used line, as they do things as cheaply as possible without any user add-ons to a circuit in mind.

In which case for our 05-09's:
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=40&viewfile...se%20Lamps.pdf (Page 2)

Easiest to use would be either side's parking lamp circuit to trigger a relay for it (likely both, unless your going to wire the halo ons from the same circuit, so you need two relays).

Tracing the wiring in that area:
Dark green = 12v on for left front (drivers side)
Black with a pink stripe = 12v on for the right front (passenger side)

Hit radio-shack, or any automotive store and get a 12v, 20-40amp SPDT relay if this kit does not come with one. Around $5.

Pin 86 = ground
Pin 85 = the dark green or black with pink stripe wire from the car

Pin 30 = Power on line to the halo lights
Pin 87 = Fused battery power line, or an unused properly rated(amperage) line from the BEC.

I split the above, as both groupings of 2 are interchangable, meaning 85 could be ground, and 86 could be the dark green/black with pink stripe, etc..

More information, should you need it: http://www.the12volt.com/relays/relays.asp

If you're going to go the above route, and not cut, then resolder the 3 leads together, I'd crimp but still use heat shrink tubing over, or wrap tightly with good electrical tape, then zip-tie at the end point so it doesn't unravel over time. Just need to make that as air-tight as possible to avoid corrosion, and obviously to avoid shorting shiznat.

Edit: I started to say the side-lamp for use, but this will flash when that side's turn-signal is used by the SJB... so yeah, eeeeee, wrong. Altered the above to parking lights for either side.

Last edited by wayne613; 04-16-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:16 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

I have never used the halos before or seem them come on. Do they come on instantly or do they need to warm up to their full potential like a florescent or HID bulb?