Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who does track days with their supercharged 4.6

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 09:26 PM
09blkgtcal
2nd Gear Member

Default who does track days with their supercharged 4.6

Hey Guys,

Went to my first track day a few weeks ago, had a blast. I was wondering how many of you are doing track days with a blower specifically a centri. I recently bought a intercooled vortech off StealthGT but now that I'm going to be doing alot of track days I'm not sure its the best idea. I spoke to a guy at who was running a gutted out s197 with a blower. I asked him how its held up with the blower hes on his 4th motor lol and this is his 2nd built motor and hes making 440 with his Saleen. He highly recommended against the supercharger, but I figured I'd check with you guys. I really wanted more power for the street but I dont know if its worth the risk. Now I'm thinking about selling the stang, the blower and picking up a c6 with the z51 pacakge. That route is obviously more expensive but I'll avoid the potential headaches. Let me know your opinions

Thanks
Old 04-17-2012, 09:51 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Your motor is as good as your tune... Just because someone has been through 4 motors doesn't mean yours is gonna pop. I know you are probably paranoid as I know I was, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. Get your car tuned by a reputable tuner and you will be fine.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:15 PM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

If you're going to keep the stang, I say go ahead and put the supercharger on there, but just make sure you keep it mild. Get a good, conservative tune and keep the power levels down, just spitballin I'd say keep it 400 hp or below with the stock engine internals. Also get an aftermarket temp gauge to keep an eye on your coolant temps...you may need to upgrade your radiator. Track driving is hard on an engine as it is, its a lot different from 1/4 mile racing where you just push it hard for only 13 seconds at a time.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:54 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I quarter mile race the sh$t out of my car. I even hot lap it when I'm winning rounds. I have over 100 passes with the blower. Car runs like a champ.
Now with an auto X event your talking serious heat and heat soak. Keeping the car cool is your best bet against blowing stuff up. Having a proper tune is key too. Do NOT cheap out on the tuning. Pushing the envelope too far is risky, be prepared if you want maximum power out of your setup. I have a nice safe tune from JDM. Sure I could put on a smaller pulley and be a little faster, but I would rather not take the risk.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:31 AM
Lil_Chef
3rd Gear Member

I have about 15k miles on my car since i got supercharged and i've had about 5 track weekends since then. nothing has blown up since then, but i am in the middle of trying to fix some behavioral problem.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:16 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

It sounds like that guys tuner sucks ***
Old 04-18-2012, 01:32 AM
stags
3rd Gear Member

We dont buy these cars to drive them like grandmas in minivans or sedans. Given, its great to take care of and baby your car. But IMO getting an SC is in line with the pay to play, build the best stang you can mantra. Why did you buy the car if not to have some serious fun with it? An SC will only multiply your entertainment
Old 04-18-2012, 01:42 PM
DPE
2nd Gear Member

Sleeper08 seems to track his car all the time and has for the last couple years. It is an M90 though, not a Centri. But I don't believe he's had any problems and claims 445hp at the crank. Clearly it can be made to work, but from thinking about the same kinds of things and researching a bit over the past year it sure seems like a mild roots is the way to go for reliability. That the M90 comes with a Roush tune that's theoretically on par with a factory tune in terms of reliability probably doesn't hurt.

For me personally, I'll very likely keep mine NA. I stress it quite enough on track as it is, and considering how hot the motor can get on 90+ degree days it seems unwise to add more power/heat to the mix. I may get a bigger radiator to help out with that, and my engine is 100% stock (and is likely to remain so other than supporting mods to promote longevity).

How much you stress the engine on a road course is somewhat dependent on how you drive as well. I have a lot of track miles, and drive pretty well at the limit when I'm out there. Not suggesting I'm particularly fast around a track, but it's not because the car isn't being pushed hard . If you're a real track junkie and aren't keen on working around problems, you might think about that Vette. Or perhaps a 5.0 so you can do the right thing and stay with Ford .
Old 04-18-2012, 01:50 PM
moochman4life
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09blkgtcal
Hey Guys,

Went to my first track day a few weeks ago, had a blast. I was wondering how many of you are doing track days with a blower specifically a centri. I recently bought a intercooled vortech off StealthGT but now that I'm going to be doing alot of track days I'm not sure its the best idea. I spoke to a guy at who was running a gutted out s197 with a blower. I asked him how its held up with the blower hes on his 4th motor lol and this is his 2nd built motor and hes making 440 with his Saleen. He highly recommended against the supercharger, but I figured I'd check with you guys. I really wanted more power for the street but I dont know if its worth the risk. Now I'm thinking about selling the stang, the blower and picking up a c6 with the z51 pacakge. That route is obviously more expensive but I'll avoid the potential headaches. Let me know your opinions

Thanks
Hey man, you and I have chatted about this. Anyone who recommends AGAINST a supercharger on track had a rare negative experience or doesn't know what they're talking about.

I drive what I believe is 8-9/10s, but was also severely hampered by my ****ty street tires at the time. I have never had an issue at the track in the last 2 years with my Vortech 3V and custom tune.

I keep editing lol: I think I'm up to 10 track days or so on my current setup without missing a beat.

Last edited by moochman4life; 04-18-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:34 PM
09blkgtcal
2nd Gear Member

When I said track days I meant running on a road course 30 min at a time. Moochman is the only person I know whos running a centri on road courses. I have seen that a few guys with the m90's do track days but those are also supposed to be alot more reliable. I would just like to hear some others chime in. Moochman I do trust you lol

Quick Reply: who does track days with their supercharged 4.6