Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can 2 of the "same" tunes be so different?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 10:21 AM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

Default Can 2 of the "same" tunes be so different?

I've been driving my car with a Bama 91 race tune for over a year now. I have loved it since I first loaded it up, mostly due to the low end power. Well, money has been a little tight lately, I have cut down on a few expenses and I had ordered 87 octane tunes from Bama, along with a new 91 race tune, just in case I had to resort to cutting down on my gas expense as well. Last night, I updated the firmware on the tuner and decided to replace the old 91 race tune with the new one. Problem is, I don't love the new tune as much. Like I said, I've driven the old 91 tune for over a year, so I'm completely used to how it feels. The lowest idle RPM was 750, a light tap on the gas pedal would get the car right up to speed for normal street driving, and it would do the shifts pretty aggressively. The new 91 tune goes down to a very low 600 RPMs on idle, it does very smooth shifts, and I now have to push in the pedal a lot more just to get up to speed, and it doesn't even feel as fast as the old tune. I'm gonna change it back to the old 91 race tune later today. I gotta say that I'm a little disappointed on the new 91 race tune. I thought the tunes were supposed to be the same, after all, they are both 91 race tunes. Any thoughts or input on what's going on?
Old 04-19-2012, 11:17 AM
lawrencecar1
2nd Gear Member

Did u ask the tuner ??
Old 04-19-2012, 02:48 PM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

No, I haven't. And I don't plan to. I'll just load up the old 91 race tune to have it back like it used to be.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:20 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

You are a bit confusing.

What tune do you have loaded on the car right now? What was in the car before?

(P.S.) There is no such thing as an 87 Race Tune.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:33 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

He's saying he had a 91 Bama tune, but then requested new tunes I suppose including another 91 Race, tried the new one over the old one, and that's when he experienced the new driving experience.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:48 PM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
You are a bit confusing.

What tune do you have loaded on the car right now? What was in the car before?

(P.S.) There is no such thing as an 87 Race Tune.
I have the new 91 race tune on the car right now, which I ordered about two weeks ago. I had the old 91 race tune before. I've had it on for over a year now. And I never even said anything remotely close to an 87 race tune.

Originally Posted by pdonket
He's saying he had a 91 Bama tune, but then requested new tunes I suppose including another 91 Race, tried the new one over the old one, and that's when he experienced the new driving experience.
You are 100% correct. I had ordered 91 Street, 91 Performance, and 91 Race tunes over a year ago when I purchased a BBK cai and the 91 Race tune was loaded on the car. About two weeks ago, I ordered 87 Street and 87 Performance tunes, just in case I had to resort to spending less gas on money. The third tune I ordered was a new 91 Race tune, which I loaded onto the car last night. This new 91 Race tune is the one that feels so different, in a not so good way.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:33 PM
r0cky00

One more question on this, when you ordered the new tunes, did you enter all of your mods again or did you assume they would have it on file still? That would definately change the tune but if you put everything in the same I don't know of a reason it would be different other than Bama making some adjustments to be "safer" for your car... curious to see if anyone can shed light on this.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:24 AM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by r0cky00
One more question on this, when you ordered the new tunes, did you enter all of your mods again or did you assume they would have it on file still? That would definately change the tune but if you put everything in the same I don't know of a reason it would be different other than Bama making some adjustments to be "safer" for your car... curious to see if anyone can shed light on this.
Yes, I entered all my mods. You have to enter them every time you order new tunes. It goes to very low RPMs, it even went down to a very low 500 RPMs but quickly jumped up to 650. I quadruple checked that I entered the correct mod list before sending it to Bama, so I know I didn't make a mistake.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:14 AM
r0cky00

The one thing I noticed after tuning mine was the fact it did this too. It would idle at around 500 RPM and drop slightly and rev back up. After a few days, it stopped this. I am thinking it is relearning how to do some things based on how you drive. It had some odd hesitation at first when at 75% throttle but that's gone now.

Might not be the issue since if you went back to your old one it didn't reset but maybe that's part of the newer tunes...? Mine idles around 650 RPM smooth now using a 91 Octane Performance tune. Wish I could confirm this for you but I can only speculate at this point.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:21 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Yes, with over 2000 different variables to deal with,
one 91 octane tune could be very different from
another 91 octane tune.
The octane rating of the tune relates to the timing only.
There are other variables that can be set quite differently
in between two different 91 octane tunes.

Also the adaptive learning needs to be reset when you swap tunes.
Even if they are both called 91 octane.
Did you do this when swapping tunes?
If not then all comparisons fly right out the window so to speak.

Quick Reply: Can 2 of the "same" tunes be so different?