Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by Latemodel Restoration

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 04-21-2012, 12:47 AM   #1
MrBlack2012GT

Vehicle: 2012 Mustang GT
DeAdiSSu3
Default HELP: wicked vibration at speed

Hello everyone. My father purchased a manual 2012 Mustang GT premium off the lot last month. Black w/ saddle leather seats, manual, stock rear gear, tach redline glow, ambient lighting/mycolor etc., shaker 500 audio, sat nav delete, rear spoiler delete, stock rims/tires/brakes and it's impressive, apart from a very loud, very annoying vibration around the rear window/trunklid at speed.

The vibration starts at around 100 mph, in any gear, at any rpm. It vibrates the entire rear window and trunklid area. Sitting in the back seat and pushing on the rear window by hand when the vibration starts has no effect. I'm wondering if any 5.0 owners have had this problem or if anyone in general has heard about this? Thanks.

- Matt
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
MrBlack2012GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:11 AM   #2
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 GT
Josh Baker JoshuaDBaker xxPanduh

Why do you need to go over 100mph?...

Don't really know what the cause could be. LCAs, UCA, rear sway bar?...have you got under the car and looked for loose bolts in the suspension? That would be where I would start.

Was it used?...maybe check the tires or look to see if the lug nuts are to spec?

2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium Triple Yellow - Ordered
2006 Ford Mustang GT Premium Screaming Yellow - 1st Car/Soon to be Retired Daily Driver/April '12 ROTM
2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1 Dark Shadow Gray - Gone
2004 Ford Mustang GT Premium Oxford White - Gone
bakerjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:18 AM   #3
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Mustang GT

Warranty. Take it in.

06 Satin Silver GT - Auto...ROUSH M90 CAI, Afco Dual Fan HE, 4.10s,Truetrac, Detroit Rockers, Moroso, DSS DS, TCI Rachet Shifter, PA Deep Pan, Eibach Handling, FR P Springs, Strange Shocks/Struts, J&M UCA/LCA, SS Lines/ EBC Slotted/Dimpled Rotors w/Reds, Mickey Thompson SC5, Nitto 255/305, 2011 leather, Pypes LT's/H-Pipe, MBRP Resonators, Borla

2011 NHRA Sportsman Class Hawaii State Champion
12.23 @ 113 mph
808muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:30 AM   #4
BlackShelbyGt500
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 shelby gt500

re balance the rear tire maybe.
BlackShelbyGt500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:40 AM   #5
MrBlack2012GT

DeAdiSSu3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerjd View Post

Don't really know what the cause could be. LCAs, UCA, rear sway bar?...have you got under the car and looked for loose bolts in the suspension? That would be where I would start.

Was it used?...maybe check the tires or look to see if the lug nuts are to spec?
It was brand-new, off the lot. There is no suspension noise while cruising around town, no rattles, squeaks, knocking or anything out of the ordinary, if I had noticed something like that, believe me, id be under there checking every nut and bolt within two minutes, but that's what is strange about this, everything is rock-solid. Until you get up over the speed limit a bit then something within the trunk or rear facia or tail lights etc. starts vibrating.

What we're thinking is air pressure gets into the trunk at speed and makes one of the plastic bits vibrate extremely fast against the trunklid, or something of that nature. The cause of the noise always seems to be air moving quickly through the car. Anyway I just thought i'd ask, maybe someone had the same problem with their 5.0 and could enlighten me on the subject.
MrBlack2012GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:54 AM   #6
300HorsesAndCounting

Vehicle: 2006 Mustang GT

Over the speed limit in a mustang? Who's ever heard of such a thing? Haha. But my 06 Gt had a rattle by the back convertible window even at normal speeds. Never found out what it was but it just went away. How long has it been going on. Could it also be on a bumpy section of road? Do you go on the same road every time you decide to go over 100?
300HorsesAndCounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:53 AM   #7
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 GT
Send a message via AIM to Nuke Send a message via Yahoo to Nuke Send a message via Skype™ to Nuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerjd View Post
Since when does NEED have anything to do with it?...

Absolutely take it back to the dealer under waranty. It's possib;e the wheels wwere never balanced properly, you threw a weight, yada yada. Insist that they do a RoadForce balance.
07 GT Prem: Alloy, MT, 3.55's, Steeda CAI w/Brenspeed tunes, FRPP Stingers, 275/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S on SVT Cobras (OE GT500's), 14" shorty, Wheelskin side scoops & qtr window louvers, A-H rear window louvers, SHR honeycomb blackout panel, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
06 V6: Legend Lime, Pony Package, 14" shorty, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:15 PM   #8
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 06 GT, 06 Vert
Send a message via MSN to Young_Gun Send a message via Yahoo to Young_Gun

In my 07 v6, I got vibration at and above 100mph just because of air resistance. You are pushing a lot of air at that point, and these Mustangs have the drag coefficient of a brick.

Black 06 GT 5 speed, CAI, tuned, various electronics, scoops, nothing special

Red 06 v6 Vert

Tungsten 2007 v6 - SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironh19 View Post
totally, if any animal hits my car, I will genocide that species. thats why there are no kids in my neighborhood now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolical! View Post
It would be excellent on a presidential ballot: "None of the above. They're all idiots."
Young_Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:57 PM   #9
BlackGT45th
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: carless
LastTransam02

Maybe you just need to put a giant wing on the back!

In all seriousness take it in to get it looked at.
BlackGT45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:33 PM   #10
MrBlack2012GT

DeAdiSSu3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300HorsesAndCounting View Post
Over the speed limit in a mustang? Who's ever heard of such a thing? Haha. But my 06 Gt had a rattle by the back convertible window even at normal speeds. Never found out what it was but it just went away. How long has it been going on. Could it also be on a bumpy section of road? Do you go on the same road every time you decide to go over 100?
I've sped in different locations, highways in different states etc. and it doesn't seem like smooth roads help. We just got the GT brand new last month, it's not a convertible. We're taking it in this week. I honestly don't think it is anything mechanical, the car feels perfect until you get up to speed, and even with the vibration it still feels the same, it is loud and annoying but you can't feel it as though it's something like a tire or suspension component etc., you can just hear it, even over the shaker 500 speakers lol, hopefully i'm right and it's just a piece of plastic or trunklid touching something somewhere becuase of air pressure.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:33 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2007, 2012, 50, bar, car, cruising, engine, forum, loose, mustang, pulsing, speed, starting, sway, vibrates, vibration