Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do you react to a cop? lol

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 07:50 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

Cops are great. People complain and make stink; it's their JOB. They will also save your life over theirs.

Some are normal, some are dicks, some are cool as hell. HEY, sounds like everyone else in the world.

I think I would have hit the gas in neutral.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:49 AM
Xeremeh
2nd Gear Member

Agree with almost all of the guys in the thread. Treat cops as if you would anyone else. I've had my share of nasty run-ins with them, but you hafta remember that they are people just like us. They have their good and bad days. As far as being pulled over, the best thing I can advise is something that my grandma told me. She's very polite to cops, and when pulled over, she always does two things like clockwork. She puts the window down, then removes the keys from the ignition and puts them on the dashboard, so the cop knows that she's not going to be crazy and try to drive off. Also keeps her hands on the steering wheel in plain sight. When the cop comes up, she informs him that her license, insurance, concealed carry permit, and pistol are in a lockbox beneath her seat, and she needs to reach down to get it. =) I use the same thing. Most cops just give you a very surprised look and then calm down when they realize you're trying to chill them out and comply completely.

As far as compliments from a cop.. I really enjoy that. When you think about it, a traffic cop's job consists of dealing with hundreds/thousands of cars every day, and they're supposed to have a keen eye for spotting out-of-dates and such. So when one compliments my car, I make sure and thank them. If moving, just a smile and wave. If stopped, I'll roll down the window and make sure to say thank you. You'd be surprised how many just want to BS for a bit.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:04 AM
DSargent09
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Entaille
two sides to every story - something tells me you aren't as innocent as you make it out to be. define "and then speed" - how quickly and how many mph over were you? how quick was the lane change? either way, it sounds like it was aggressive. reckless driving, in my state, is simply 10 or 15mph over the limit and it's officers discretion if they want to nail you for that or something smaller.

that doesn't make you a bad person or some terrible law breaker, it's just the definitions and something you unfortunately got caught doing. we all drive hard at times so I am not judging you on that. life will be easier if you accept responsibility instead of playing the victim card, blaming your age and car etc.
My attorney got a copy of his statement and he lied about a lot of things that transpired. I'm not one of those kids playing the "victim" card. When I get home from work today I will explain all of this.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:58 AM
TommyB681
2nd Gear Member

us cops do weird things. 2 possibilities in my head. they could have been like be and, as other people said, be car freaks or...they could have been being total jackasses and making fun of you for something (like me an my buddies like to do lol)
Old 04-24-2012, 02:52 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

I am a HUGE car guy, but also a LEO so I am torn between someone with a nice, well put together car who is just having "alittle fun", and some jackass that is endangering the lives of others. Treat us like you would like to be treated and for the most part we will show that respect back to you.

Matthew
Old 04-24-2012, 07:29 PM
Deki
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by DSargent09
I got pulled over about two weeks ago, and the cop was a complete dick to me. Took me to jail for reckless driving when all I did was make a lane change between two cars ( easily 59 yds of room) and then speed... Being 21 in a red mustang gt w. exhaust got me arrested. If I would have been in any other car it would have been a speeding ticket. Needless to say I got an attorney and have every intention of taking it to trial. I was driving aggressively not recklessly
Your red mustang and age didn't get you arrested, your stupidity did.

Originally Posted by DSargent09
My attorney got a copy of his statement and he lied about a lot of things that transpired. I'm not one of those kids playing the "victim" card. When I get home from work today I will explain all of this.
And you are playing the victim card. You tell us in specific detail as to how many yards there were between cars, and you admit to speeding after that, but the cop is a liar based on your word? Good luck in court, I have a feeling you won't win that case.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:07 PM
Javdog
3rd Gear Member

I agree they are after all, guys just like most of us, I have had cops pull up next to me and I just say "HI" you would be amazed the power of that word, I have also smiled at them and said "do you want to race", they get a kick out of that one. I also had a sheriff ask me to roll down my window, when I did he said I wanted to see who was in the car, I proceeded to say it must have been my tinted windows or the morning dew, he just laughed and went on his way, if you act decent you will be treated like a decent human being. I also agree there are alot of bad cops but how you act is how they will act with you...
Old 04-25-2012, 05:43 AM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JJP SuperStang
I had a lightly modded Supra behind me after a car meet, and a guy in a Fire Department SUV motioned me to roll my window down and then told me "Don't make that Supra driver look too bad now."
Proper response: "Hell, I've already done that..."
Old 04-25-2012, 07:07 AM
Thor
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Young_Gun
Complain that they don't get payed enough
I can't do this with the local cops since they make $100,000+ a year.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:46 AM
DSargent09
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Deki
Your red mustang and age didn't get you arrested, your stupidity did.

And you are playing the victim card. You tell us in specific detail as to how many yards there were between cars, and you admit to speeding after that, but the cop is a liar based on your word? Good luck in court, I have a feeling you won't win that case.
I was at a red light with a car in front of me, in the lane next to me was also two cars and far left lane I couldn't see. The 59 thing was an accident lol meant to say about 50 but on my I phone I hit the 9. Light change and the car in my lane went. Middle lane didn't realize the light had changed and sat there a few seconds. After leaving the light there was a nice size gap to my left. Using my blinker I made a lane change at about 35 mph in a 55 mph zone (shortly after leaving light) I am now in front of all traffic but the car to my right that I just came from behind. I down shift to third and gave it about 3/4 throttle because i felt like being a dumb *** lol. Got up to about 70 (only punched it for about a second) and got off of it. I took it out of gear looked in my rear view Mirror and in the far left lane was a cop. I got over in the right lane slowed down and put my cautions on all before he even put his lights on ( knew I deserved a speeding ticket) shortly after he put his lights on and got behind me. I drove about a 1/4 mile further going about 45 until I found a safe spot to stop off the road. He comes to my car ask for my liscense and ins. I tell him it's in the glove box and I'm going to reach for it. I hand it to him and then he ask me why I didn't stop when he got behind me. I told him my brother in law is a cop and always complains that people stop on the road and he feels he is going to get hit. He gave me a pissed off look and then said yeah we'll now we have to figure out how the hell to pull out of here... He goes to his car and come back. Ask me so would you say what you did was a little reckless? I responded yeah I guess.. I was speeding... he then asked me to step out of the car and went on to tell me when I made the lane change that the car in the middle lane had to slam on their brakes to avoid hitting me. He also said he picked me up on his REAR RADAR doing 90???? How so when we left the light at the same time and he was in the far left lane and I was in the far right? The DA accepted the charges he called in and he arrested me. His car didn't have a cage so he called another cop to pick me up. When I was place in his car he said "man not all cops are like him, he is being a dick he told me he only got you at 72mph on his front radar but said he is going to say he was in front of you so he doesn't have to show the dash cam. I was super cooperative with both cops... Yes sir, no sir, and even sat through the first cops lecture about how bad speeding is. I did 24 hours on jail, and once released I went straight to an attorneys office. I made the first court appearence he Da offered me 200 dollar fine and 6 months deferred probation... Or a pretrial deversion (1 year probation, random drug test, 24 hrs community service) but when it's done the will dismiss it. I am torn between that and taking it to trial. My attorney is trying to push towards a trail because he believes that this one is very beat able based on how the cop truly lied. (90 on rear radar) and in his statement he changed his story. The car in the middle lane didnt hit their breakes, they now "swered into his lane and almost hit him trying to avoid me) Not just me saying he is lying about the 90 thing (strongest part of his case because I was speeding). I had a passenger in the car, and my college professor was right behind me (some luck lol) Class had dismissed and I spent about 20 minutes studying in the library before I left.

I have until 5-14 to decide what I want to do with this case. I am leaning towards the 1 year thing because I work full Time, go to school full time, have a fiancée, and never get in trouble. Plus at the end it's like it never happened...

I would like to take it to trial to avoid the hassel of the whole probation but it will cost an additional $2000, and worst case if I am found guilty they can give me 30 days in jail and it will go on my record, which could prevented from obtaining my CPA liscense.

My soon to be father in law is an executive for a gas company and his boss reccommended this lawyer so he is kind of expensive. Already paid him 2000...

As of right now I'm leaning towards the pretrial deversion (1yr probation) time will tell.

And I do not appreciate you insulting me, but on another note everyone is entitled to an opinion.
I have still left out details, but oh well. I do not need to plead my case to my Internet friends.

Last edited by DSargent09; 04-25-2012 at 07:50 AM.

Quick Reply: how do you react to a cop? lol