Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best CAI's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 10:37 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Yeah dont bother with a CAI until you can get a tune as well. Huge improvement over stock. I had a JLT with brenspeed tune. With my auto trans it literally would chirp second and third gears........so freaking awesome. AM has great tunes as well. Here is video showing what that tune was capable of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSjLlRoBL1M
Old 04-26-2012, 10:58 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Woah, sensing a little butthurt here. It's great that you're starting to mod, and I fully support getting active in the discussions, I'm just saying that we have a new guy come online on a weekly basis asking for CAI opinions and the active members' opinions and preferences don't change nearly that often. Maybe a better question like: What do you guys think of X brand CAI?

Like others have said, a standalone CAI is worthless. You'll never feel those 5 ponies you pick up, and you might throw a code (friend in a Camaro had this happen to him. Told him it was completely possible that it would and without a tune, he just wasted a bunch of money as I installed it. Didn't want to listen). The meat is in the tune. Grab an 87 or 93 street tune for daily driving, and an 87 or 93 race for opening it up on weekends (I love the 93 race tune).

Grabbing a CAI/tune combo is a good investment. You'll feel the improved throttle response and hike in power bands immediately.

Welcome
Old 04-27-2012, 04:41 AM
robs
3rd Gear Member

For what it's worth, I went with a FRPP factory CAI... I had a K&N on my Jeep and it let through dirt (literally had to wipe out the throttle body and inlet tube)...

That scared me away from the recleanable kinds. I know they're extremely popular... but seeing all the dirt was not happy... Other Jeepers had similar experiences so it wasn't that I had a defective one.. Your Milage May Vary.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:36 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

FYI, don't expect a fuel mileage improvement. Performance yes, and equivalent fuel mileage IF you can keep your foot out of it after feeling the power incrrease...
Old 04-28-2012, 11:42 AM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

True,

When you have a CAI/tune it turns in to FMPG (Fun Miles Per Gallon).

Best of luck with whatever you choose!

Thank You

TJ
Old 04-30-2012, 07:53 AM
slinkchris
1st Gear Member

without a tune, just get a drop in KN filter and call it a day until you pony up the money for the tune.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:10 PM
Kevs_4.6
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tywalson
I am in the market for getting a new CAI for my 06 gt.

Currently deciding between the Roush or K&N from AM. Anyone have suggestions, and which one people have had good experience with?

Looking to improve the HP and gas mileage with not too expensive of a mod.
thanks for any help!!

Tyler
I have a JLT Series II that I purchased form AM sitting in my garage with less than 6000 miles on it that I am looking to sell as I don't have my "07 anymore.

PM me if you are interested and I can send you some pics.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:39 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by tywalson
I am in the market for getting a new CAI for my 06 gt.

Currently deciding between the Roush or K&N from AM. Anyone have suggestions, and which one people have had good experience with?

Looking to improve the HP and gas mileage with not too expensive of a mod.
thanks for any help!!

Tyler

There are several nice CAIs out there. Most companies claim a 30-40 hp gain with their CAI/Tuner packages. UPR's CAI/Tuner package is said to gain "up to 40hp".

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-b...sct-tuner.html

I installed this combo on my '06 GT and it made a major difference in performance. It also increased my average fuel economy from 21.9 to 22.7. I've been very pleased with it.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:50 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
There are several nice CAIs out there. Most companies claim a 30-40 hp gain with their CAI/Tuner packages. UPR's CAI/Tuner package is said to gain "up to 40hp".

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-b...sct-tuner.html

I installed this combo on my '06 GT and it made a major difference in performance. It also increased my average fuel economy from 21.9 to 22.7. I've been very pleased with it.
Isn't claiming "30-40hp" practically the same claim as "up to 40hp"?
Old 05-03-2012, 08:30 AM
Cardstang
1st Gear Member

I have a '10 GT and am close to pulling the trigger on a CAI and tune.

The iTSX wireless tuner from SCT looks awesome. Anyone have that?

Quick Reply: best CAI's?