Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coyote 5.0 insane RPM

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 10:12 AM
Bmitchell373
2nd Gear Member

Glad you back on the road, I'm pretty sure my car is fine. 2nd-3rd is only 1000 rpms so even 8k for a split second wouldn't kill it. But 3rd to 5th, you probably went well over 9k.

Thanks for the response.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:43 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Sorry to hear about the problem, good to hear it didn't expire immediately.

Most manual tranny drivers grab the wrong gear once in a while, just not at quite such a critical instant.

FWIW, I'd imagine that an intentional 5-4 downshift that accidentally went 5-2 instead would have done the same thing under much more normal driving.

Originally Posted by Andy13186
Obviously i meant for manual transmission.. There is no point in it not locking you out of a gear that will just blow the engine, obviously an incorrect shift was made at a dangerous MPH,, Would you prefer it to have just blocked you from getting into gear or let you into gear and now you let the clutch out and the engine blows? The transmission letting you into gear at unsafe MPH for the gear just seems like bad preventative engineering measures.
No point? People have hated the computer-forced 1 - 4 manual tranny upshift ever since it was first introduced (by GM in the F-bodies, if memory serves). This would be more of the same, never mind the complaints if the maximum possible downshift speeds ended up being too low for any reason.

Time was, even reverse was not locked out. People dealt with it just fine, and this meant the vast majority of drivers on the roads (including those who didn't even like to drive).

Are the licensed drivers of today inherently that much less capable than their parents/grandparents/great-grandparents that this kind of "assistance" is at all necessary? My own great-grandfather, born in the 1860's (no, that's not a typo) and who I still remember being around, simply would not be able to grasp this concept of avoiding reliance on your own self.

No point? People these days are way too ready to have every little responsibility shifted to somebody else, or to have it "engineered away" from them having to deal with. I don't want that kind of car, nor should anybody else who considers themself a "driver". Not just another passenger who happens to be sitting behind the steering wheel, but a real driver.

There is a saying about no matter how extensively you "idiot-proof" something, there will always be a better idiot who manages to get past all of the preventive measures anyway. It's a losing bet to think you'll outsmart every single one of them.

I thought it did lock you out anyway at a speed higher than the gear can handle. try to get it into 1st gear at 100 mph.. i dont think that is possible, is it? And IMO it shouldnt be possible.
The 1st gear synchro will make it extremely difficult, to the point where most people would probably never be able to make it happen. But it is not completely impossible, mechanically.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 06-03-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:50 PM
GTR21
1st Gear Member

Speaking of the 1-4 shift, I have a Camaro that does that. Luckily it's easy enough to disengage. It does however have a reverse lockout when the car is in forward motion which is pretty helpful
Old 06-03-2012, 01:19 PM
Bmitchell373
2nd Gear Member

I just found out about the 1-4 shift lock out. My car says it on the dash but I've never been locked out. A guy I talk to out here with a 5.0 said the car will lock him out of 2nd when its displayed on the dash. Is it something you can take off? I know it can be tune out. But my car never locked me out. I just wonder if the previous owner disabled it?
Old 06-03-2012, 01:26 PM
GTR21
1st Gear Member

The previous owner probably did, I don't really know too much about Mustang lockouts, but on the Camaro it FORCED you to go from 1st to 4th unless you went higher in the rpms than casual driving. A guess possibly a way of being emissions friendly? It was disabled before I bought it, so I can't help ya much on that one
Old 06-03-2012, 01:40 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

It's basically there to bump the fuel economy up just a tiny bit.

The penalties for missing mpg standards are taken at least down to the tenths of a mpg, times the $ amount per tenth, times the number of cars sold, and this can run into the $Millions. So for Ford, GM, Chrysler, etc., a tenth of a mpg here and another tenth there is a big deal.

Even if you were to meet the current year's mpg standards, I think there are carry-back and carry-forward allowances to let you "crutch" years that you might have come up just a tiny bit short of the goal. So you'd still want to pick off any easy tenths.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 06-03-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:43 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Yes, it is easy to bypass by physically unplugging the solenoid at top of the transmission on the passenger side. If you search for "disable skipshift" in the forum search tools, there is an extensive thread describing the process. It is relatively easy, and supposedly there are no problems associated with it. It will still display the message in the lcd info center, but the solenoid will not be active.

Don
Old 06-03-2012, 02:25 PM
4LiterSonic
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MrBlack2012GT
Although the kid who unloaded the car and checked everything took a video of him doing a burnout at 6k rpm in it the day before we bought it, then showed us the video after we signed the papers lol.
See, if that had been me, I would've taken a video of me railing his mom and then sent the kid a copy of it along with a bill for new tires.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:44 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Andy13186

I thought it did lock you out anyway at a speed higher than the gear can handle. try to get it into 1st gear at 100 mph.. i dont think that is possible, is it? And IMO it shouldnt be possible.
Its not that you are locked out of the gears at higher speeds. Its more that the gear cluster is spinning way to fast for the syncros to line up so it cant. If you force it hard enough it will go into any gear at any speed.