Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coyote 5.0 insane RPM

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 10:41 PM
JThor
2nd Gear Member

My guess is that they will fix it under warranty. I don't think they will be able to attribute a spun bearing to excessive rpm (without bent valves). The lower end should be able to withstand 9000 rpm if there was no valve contact.

Usually what happens on a missed shift is that the valve springs are not strong enough to bring back the valves before the piston reaches TDC (valve float). Valves make contact with pistons and the engine is instantly toast. If your engine didn't immediately blow, there was something else wrong with that bearing. The missed shift may have encouraged the bearing to fail a little earlier, but that bearing would eventually have spun regardless of the missed shift.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:41 AM
MrBlack2012GT

Originally Posted by JThor
My guess is that they will fix it under warranty. I don't think they will be able to attribute a spun bearing to excessive rpm (without bent valves). The lower end should be able to withstand 9000 rpm if there was no valve contact.

Usually what happens on a missed shift is that the valve springs are not strong enough to bring back the valves before the piston reaches TDC (valve float). Valves make contact with pistons and the engine is instantly toast. If your engine didn't immediately blow, there was something else wrong with that bearing. The missed shift may have encouraged the bearing to fail a little earlier, but that bearing would eventually have spun regardless of the missed shift.
The engine light kept coming on / off when we were in Florida, and we could feel a definate change in performance when the light came on. We figured it was something wrong with the chain tensioners. When the light would come on, we would hear a faint "click" while just cruising, without changing throttle position, and you could feel a bit of a lag in acceleration afterwards. Then it seemed to sort itself out. Then it happened again. There was something wrong with the engine to begin with, you are absolutely right. Even with that being said, and after what happened on the way back, it held together for a good while before letting go, i'm very proud of that engine for getting us home safely. You never know what could happen in these situations.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:35 AM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

If there isn't any added performance parts they have to fix it regardless if it was driver error or not........I don't see anywhere in the warranty that says they won't fix the car if it's hot rodded and something goes wrong.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:18 PM
Jhawk
1st Gear Member

I have missed a few shifts here and there. My mistakes haven't redlined the motor. It happens to everyone. Hope it turns out well for you.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:14 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2008GT/CSBuckeye
If there isn't any added performance parts they have to fix it regardless if it was driver error or not........I don't see anywhere in the warranty that says they won't fix the car if it's hot rodded and something goes wrong.
Taken from the 2012 Warranty guide:

"As a condition of these warranties, you are responsible for properly
using, maintaining, and caring for your vehicle as outlined in your
Owner Guide and Scheduled Maintenance Guide. Ford recommends
that you maintain copies of all maintenance records and receipts for
review by Ford."

"These implied warranties do not apply at all if you use your vehicle
for business or commercial purposes. In addition, the implied warranty
of fitness for a particular purpose does not apply if your vehicle is
used for racing, even if the vehicle is equipped for racing.
"

"WHAT IS NOT COVERED UNDER THE NEW VEHICLE LIMITED
WARRANTY?:

- misuse of the vehicle, such a driving over curbs, overloading, racing or
using the vehicle as a permanent stationary power source"

Heck, Nissan voids your powertrain warranty on the GTR is you disable all the electronic nannies and put the car into full race mode (even if you don't actually race it). They can pretty much do whatever they want so long as it's included in the paperwork .

Again, I hope the OP comes out on top, but Ford is pretty clear about what isn't covered in their books.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:56 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Crazy. Good story, but it would have been great if the motor never died.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:18 AM
MustangRSG
1st Gear Member

So what is the outcome or status now?
Old 05-01-2012, 11:27 AM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Andy13186
yea why doesnt the tranny actually lock you out of gears above a certain MPH?... that would completely prevent this. I thought it did lock you out of gears actually above certain MPH's.. try to put it in 1st or 2nd gear at 80 mph and it just wont go from what i can tell...
You're in luck, my friend! Such advanced, amazing technology has not only already been invented, it is available for you today!

You might want to know, "What is this incredible device that keeps me from shifting into 2nd gear at 80mph!?"

It's called an automatic transmission. You can purchase a vehicle equipped with one of these magical devices today!
Old 05-01-2012, 11:35 AM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
You're in luck, my friend! Such advanced, amazing technology has not only already been invented, it is available for you today!

You might want to know, "What is this incredible device that keeps me from shifting into 2nd gear at 80mph!?"

It's called an automatic transmission. You can purchase a vehicle equipped with one of these magical devices today!
Obviously i meant for manual transmission.. There is no point in it not locking you out of a gear that will just blow the engine, obviously an incorrect shift was made at a dangerous MPH,, Would you prefer it to have just blocked you from getting into gear or let you into gear and now you let the clutch out and the engine blows? The transmission letting you into gear at unsafe MPH for the gear just seems like bad preventative engineering measures.

I thought it did lock you out anyway at a speed higher than the gear can handle. try to get it into 1st gear at 100 mph.. i dont think that is possible, is it? And IMO it shouldnt be possible.

Last edited by Andy13186; 05-01-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:47 PM
SirJAG

need a warranty claim update!

Quick Reply: Coyote 5.0 insane RPM