Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Problem!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 07:45 PM
shad2009
5th Gear Member

Default Big Problem!!!

so i ordered the Roush underdrive pulleys from American Muscle and bought a new drive belt for my car (at 80k mi, might as well)...so after my shift ended, i had one of the guys in service (that i always have work on my car) install the pulley and crank...everything was on, i gave the car a crank (didn't let start) 3 times to make sure everything was ok, then started it and let it run for a few minutes, then did a test drive in the lot, everything is fine...now i'm driving home (live about 35 mins from my dealership) and i'm almost at my exit and i just happened to look down and the battery light was on, so i started to get over into the breakdown lane and as i was doing so the temp gauge started moving towards HOT as i was coming to my stop and i immediately turned the car off, look under the hood and the drive belt is snapped...called up the guy that did the install and of course he blames it on the pulley saying that it wasn't made to fit (so why would you let me drive that far if you knew this)...so i called up AM and they said the stock drive belt is fine (told me this, before i told them about my problem)...so while i was waiting for the tow truck i called one of my buddies to see what he thought and he suggested it's either the new belt that i bought was bad, or the guy lined up the pulley wrong...now of course this was an off the book install so there's no paper trail, but thank the lord for cameras, so he can't say he didn't do the install on my car

just wanted to get your guys thoughts on the situation...sorry for the long rant
Old 04-26-2012, 08:02 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Misaligned pulley most likely.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:19 PM
shad2009
5th Gear Member

now i gotta spend extra money to have it re-alligned...and handing the bill right to him
Old 04-26-2012, 09:02 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

You know the old saying... You get what you pay for... Did he charge you, even though it was off the books?

Don
Old 04-26-2012, 09:08 PM
shad2009
5th Gear Member

^are you saying the part is cheap? if so, roush has some explaining to do...yea he did, $40, instead of the dealers normal $100 per hour rate...he always works on my car and never had a problem before...i'm very suprised he's trying to say that the pulley isn't made for my car
Old 04-26-2012, 09:36 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

This is another example of why you should always do your own mods. Sorry for the fubar.....I know it sucks. If you dont know how to work on your car certainly you must have a friend whom works on his car. With all the DIY threads, a LOT can be done without having to trust somebody else. You have a lot of guys here with lots of experience.
That guys excuse blows......never trust him again.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:44 PM
shad2009
5th Gear Member

^i won't be anymore...i'm actually kind of glad he did this F-up because he was supposed to do my gears...NOT ANYMORE

what really pisses me off is that bullsh!+ excuse he gave..."i couldn't have lined it up wrong, the part isn't made for your car, that's why you don't use aftermarket parts"...really?!?!
Old 04-26-2012, 09:48 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Exactly, that excuse was really lame. Now I have to tell you, my 4.10 gears is the only mod I paid to have installed. My freinds and I didnt have much experience in doing them so I paid a 4x4 shop to install them. Make sure you talk to the installer about your expectations before paying them to do the job. Good luck and enjoy.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:58 PM
shad2009
5th Gear Member

yea, we've got shops here that guarantee no whine, so i'll have a talk with them...thanks...how do you like your 4.10's, is she a DD?
Old 04-26-2012, 10:29 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Love them and yes its a daily driver. The blower I have now spins the tire really really fast so I have learned to control my right foot. No full throttle runs with street tires anymore. LOL

The only thing that I would like to change about my car is my JDM tune once a month gets a signal stuck rich at startup. I dont know why. Getting a tune on Maui doesnt exist, so email tunes are it.

Your car with 4.10s will really wake up that auto. The only thing you have to watch out for is heavy throttle while making a turn from a stop when she goes into second. I have found myself drifting by accident when she changes gears. You just have to be ready for it. On a slick road you could be going all the way around. The click into second gear is quite fast......depending on throttle usually 3 to 4k, and thats enough to get you sliding.

FYI.....your TG color is the best mustang color ever IMO. I so wanted that color but couldnt find one.

Quick Reply: Big Problem!!!