Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange electrical problem after stereo install.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:29 PM
Thelona

Default Strange electrical problem after stereo install.

So I recently installed a new stereo in my 2005 V6 mustang, just a regular pioneer head unit, with an aux and ipod/usb port. Everything went pretty smooth, and everything worked great, for about 3 days.

After 3 days I was riding to work and the stereo, and heat clicked off suddenly, Head unit completely dead, no lights or anything, the traction control button was lit up as off, and my battery, ABS, and traction control light came on in the gauge, other then that gauge was working fine. it stayed like that for about 3 seconds and everything clicked back on.

I made it to work without it happening again, but didn't have time to really do anything about it till after work. it did the same thing about 3 or 4 more times that day, going to lunch, and on way home. Each time only staying off for about 3 or 4 seconds and clicking right back on.

I got home and took my dash back apart to check the installation, and everything seemed fine, nothing lose. Now its been a few days and not sure what could be causing this.

Have also noticed that the window power dies when it does it. It never seems to stay off for more then a few seconds, and is not accompanied by any dimming, or warning whatsoever. and seems to be happening at completely random times both highway driving and city.

Was hoping someone here could shed some light on it, maybe someones had a similar problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 04-30-2012, 04:41 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Is it possible you just happen to have a battery going bad at the same time as the radio install.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:47 PM
Thelona

The battery is only about 8 months old, it shouldn't be going bad yet. : /

And I'm not seeing any sluggishness in the power windows or hesitation when starting the motor like I did when my last battery died on me.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:56 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

OK. Does the car act different if the radio is left off when driving? Sounds like possibly an overload on a wire somewhere.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:44 PM
Thelona

rode around with the radio turned off for awhile today, and yes it still does it even with the radio off : /
Old 05-01-2012, 08:26 PM
SOLER

Default From whom did you purchase the stereo?

I buy most of my electronics from Crutchfield. They have competitive prices, and they have all the necessary accessories (and tools) to do a clean install, and 95% of the time these things are free. Things like wiring harness to plug new radio into OEM harness, bezel to fit radio in dash, and a Master Install Sheet. This Master Install Sheet is MONEY. If you order a radio, they'll send the MIS free; otherwise it's usually around $10.

It explains things like how to take apart the dash (properly), where all the wires are, as well as where all the speakers are and how to take old ones out and install new ones. But the best part about it (I'm getting to my point :P ) is it will tell you where all the other wires are to other accessories in your car, not just what applies to the stereo, but every wire to every switch to other accessories that you might see or have to disconnect in the process of getting the dash apart to get to the stereo. My point is, if you had one of these, you could read thru it and see if you happened to knock loose or disconnect some wire on accident.
Just a suggestion.
SOLER
Old 05-01-2012, 08:42 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

sounds like a lose electrical connection somewhere. I would start at your battery and make sure all the connection are good and strong.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:45 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Thelona
I got home and took my dash back apart to check the installation, and everything seemed fine, nothing lose. Now its been a few days and not sure what could be causing this.
Have you tried just unplugging the lot to see if it re-occurs? As previously stated, sounds like an overload.

The SJB is low draw only. You tax it, it has the uncanny habit of going wonky, or even permanently damaging it.

The power windows control lines are tied to the same low power SJB circuit.

The cluster lights, and TCS, etc are all controlled by the cluster itself though. I think some of the triggering is from the SJB however, my advice should putting it back to near as it was before doesn't solve it, is to take it in.

If the car is otherwise working fine (no headlight dimming, etc) then my guess would be the SJB is having issues, either that, or the alternator, which is not as likely, but you did say you replaced the battery recently. Having a corrosion issue on the alternator's contacts, or it otherwise having intermittent problems would force it to use the battery only for that time, causing some rather random draw symptoms to other parts of the vehicle.

How old was the other battery when it died? Don't suppose there was a decent rain the day this happened, or the night before? Cleaned all the visible ground points recently in the engine bay(and BOTH the battery terminals themselves for that matter)? Any feel warm when car is running from right after a cold start?

Last edited by wayne613; 05-02-2012 at 05:24 AM.