Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will headers void warrenty?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 08:53 PM
drock111

Default will headers void warrenty?

will bbk long tube headers and high flow catted x pipe void warrenty on 2011 gt?
Old 05-02-2012, 09:08 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

no but your claims will likely be denied for anything powertrain related with them installed. the tune required especially.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:19 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Wasn't there a flowchart on one of the TSB's that said if the car was having problems and it could be verified that the tune was aftermarket then the dealership is to start the process of cancelling your warranty? Yep... found it here... Common modifications that might lead to the cancellation of your warranty... The very first item is Custom PCM Software Calibrations...

I'm still trying to figure out what and when I'm going to perform the Tune on mine, but I'm trying to determine if anyone has actually had their warranties voided.

Don
Old 05-02-2012, 09:25 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

I called three stores before installing just a catback. All advised "mess with cats or headers you will have issues with warranty work." Tuners is classified as a NO NO for sure. They are told by corp to send in pcm for verification if needed. The tune will be found and likely be denied warranty work.

Big Din - you know my warranty was cancelled by ford on my fiasco. My local ford store advised they have denied work due to tuners alone. They said a few got by.... Then corp got tight on it and makes them go through special procedures prior to doing any powertrain warranty work.

Me personally - Not going to risk losing a warranty over a few HP. I will just wait
Old 05-02-2012, 09:28 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

From my searches online... Most tuners are making the tunes pretty safe and issues related to #8 are gone now... Hell AM offers a warranty on theirs.. Now that's confidence.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:39 PM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99gtstang

Big Din - you know my warranty was cancelled by ford on my fiasco. My local ford store advised they have denied work due to tuners alone. They said a few got by.... Then corp got tight on it and makes them go through special procedures prior to doing any powertrain warranty work.

Me personally - Not going to risk losing a warranty over a few HP. I will just wait
Yours wasnt just a tuner. It was the previous owner literally raping that engine and trading it in. Lol
Old 05-02-2012, 09:41 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

Yes, you have a point. You know - They never had any proof of anything or told me what caused it, lol. I didn't ask that way the selling dealer couldn't back out.

They said likely a blower or spray.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:17 PM
rollin9208gt

FYI:

I left work last week, turned right and started down the road. Switched to second gear and the whole car starts to shake, traction control light comes on and the shifter is lifting out of the console. It felt like all four wheels were about to fall off the car. I pull over as soon as I could. Got out of the car, checked the tires and none were flat. I got back in and drove to the Ford dealer, luckily it is literally a quarter mile from where I work. I drop the car off (they were closed) and was called by the service manager the next day. The reason for this "incident" was because of my after-market wheels and tires. I have 20x10's (rear) and 20x8's (front) on the car. I explained that I have had these wheels/tires on the car for almost 8 months and this is the first time this has happened. I wasn't charged for this, but the manager said that nothing was broken, leaking or "out of order", but it was the wheels/tires that caused this to happen. He also said that if something was wrong, the warranty would not have covered the repair.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:24 PM
BlackGT45th
2nd Gear Member

Aftermarket equipment only voids the warranty if it causes the damage. However, if you can't afford to have some "just in case" funds to spare if anything goes wrong then I wouldn't recommend doing any mods just to be safe.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:49 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Mod the damned car for petes sake. After 12 vehicles with over 1,000,000 miles, I've never ONCE had a warranty repair related to the power train.

Quick Reply: will headers void warrenty?