Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body Kit, grille, hood, and stripes

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 03:48 PM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ZPounds07GT
It looks great man, I like the way you did the stripes and the lettering is a great idea, thought about it myself actually. But please stay away from the "SHELBY" lettering.. it's one thing for people to think it's a Shelby without knowing, it's another to claim it's a Shelby when it is not. I'm not bashing, I'm just saying I don't think it's right personally.

As others have said, swap out the grille for a black fog delete grille. It will really clean up the front end, you'll be surprised.
At the rate it's going right now, I'm not concerned with annoying anyone with Shelby badges. I heard a Shelby owner say it was a "lame attempt at imitating a Shelby", even though there aren't any Shelby-specific markings on it. Maybe they're just annoyed because I have a car that looks just like theirs, but that cost half as much. Besides, 25 years ago, I had a 1965 R-Model clone (that I wish I still had), and didn't get any hassles for it, and it even had "GT-350" badges and gas cap on it).

Regarding the fog lights - I'm old, and I need the extra light. I live in a neighborhood with a healthy dear population and no streetlights.

The two issues together (center-mounted fog lights a la '67 Shelby) made me think about the Shelby badging I would use (if I were to just say screw it and do it). I was thinking the 1967 GT-350 stuff (gas cap emblem, grille emblem, and the newer style SHELBY letters on the hood and decklid).
Old 05-23-2012, 09:14 AM
ZPounds07GT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jsimmonstx
At the rate it's going right now, I'm not concerned with annoying anyone with Shelby badges. I heard a Shelby owner say it was a "lame attempt at imitating a Shelby", even though there aren't any Shelby-specific markings on it. Maybe they're just annoyed because I have a car that looks just like theirs, but that cost half as much. Besides, 25 years ago, I had a 1965 R-Model clone (that I wish I still had), and didn't get any hassles for it, and it even had "GT-350" badges and gas cap on it).

Regarding the fog lights - I'm old, and I need the extra light. I live in a neighborhood with a healthy dear population and no streetlights.

The two issues together (center-mounted fog lights a la '67 Shelby) made me think about the Shelby badging I would use (if I were to just say screw it and do it). I was thinking the 1967 GT-350 stuff (gas cap emblem, grille emblem, and the newer style SHELBY letters on the hood and decklid).
Yeah I could see people saying that about it although it looks almost nothing like a Shelby in my opinion, just the stripes and hood design. Some people on here have Cobra emblems on their GTs with the GT500 Conversion Kits but people don't have an issue with it because those cars have the "power to back it up". I don't mind it either then. Your Shelby clone could have been close enough in power and looks to not worry about the fact that it was a clone. Plus now-a-days, people see the Shelby name as a prestige and not just something that should be badged on every car just because it looks like it. But we could go back and forth on this all day. Lol.

As for the deer, get HIDs? Lol. They are brighter than the regular lights with fogs.

They have a GT350 in production now, maybe you could get those parts instead of the older style parts, just an idea unless you like the idea of the older styled parts.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:18 PM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ZPounds07GT
Yeah I could see people saying that about it although it looks almost nothing like a Shelby in my opinion, just the stripes and hood design. Some people on here have Cobra emblems on their GTs with the GT500 Conversion Kits but people don't have an issue with it because those cars have the "power to back it up". I don't mind it either then. Your Shelby clone could have been close enough in power and looks to not worry about the fact that it was a clone. Plus now-a-days, people see the Shelby name as a prestige and not just something that should be badged on every car just because it looks like it. But we could go back and forth on this all day. Lol.

They have a GT350 in production now, maybe you could get those parts instead of the older style parts, just an idea unless you like the idea of the older styled parts.
Welll, I just found out that Shelby DOES put its name on a V6 (even a naturally aspirated model), so I suppose it's not too far fetched to do it myself. The V6 "GTS" has the same badging I have (tri-bar pony on the grille, and powered by ford on the fenders), but also has "SHELBY" on the decklid. I think we all can agree that the GTS package on a "natural" V6 certainly ain't no Shelby in the truest sense of the word, but I think *my* V6 certainly lives up to what the GTS is...
Old 05-24-2012, 08:28 AM
ZPounds07GT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jsimmonstx
Welll, I just found out that Shelby DOES put its name on a V6 (even a naturally aspirated model), so I suppose it's not too far fetched to do it myself. The V6 "GTS" has the same badging I have (tri-bar pony on the grille, and powered by ford on the fenders), but also has "SHELBY" on the decklid. I think we all can agree that the GTS package on a "natural" V6 certainly ain't no Shelby in the truest sense of the word, but I think *my* V6 certainly lives up to what the GTS is...
Yeah they also have the C6 but I think that is just for the 05-09 body style. I didn't realize your car was a V6 anyway. But yeah, keep up the nice work on it. It already looks sick.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:31 PM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

I'll have to research the V6 Shelby badge, I'd really like to have the look if it's doable.
My pony is very sharp looking now. Don't know if I'd want to try an change it, but researching the V6 Shelby is interesting!!
Old 05-25-2012, 05:54 AM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

I've never seen one in person, nor have I ever seen anyne talking about having one in the forums, but the GS cars are very cool looking. None of the badging on the car is actually specific to a Shelby except for the decklid letters.

Evidently, they start with a premium V6 (or GT), and for $10k, they add a body kit, some interior upgrades, upgrade the suspension and wheels, and add the Shelby ID plate. If you want, you can order one with a supercharger (it's certainly the best way to get a factory warranty on a supercharged V6).
Old 05-27-2012, 05:30 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

Your new pony is really great looking. I wish I had the money to even mildly mod mine.
But, because mine's an anniversary edition I'm a little hesitant. That hood of your really rocks! Alan, in sunny Seadrift,Tx.