Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some police advice!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 09:34 PM
DSargent09
2nd Gear Member

Default Need some police advice!!

Do radar/laser jammers work? Can police tell that you are using one? What are good jammers?

If you are caught using a jammer, what is the consequence?
Old 02-21-2012, 09:43 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Why so much interested in these things this past week? I don't understand why people can't just hit a track if they want to test the limits of their 'stang. I mean honestly, how much time will you save speeding? Unless you drive an hour minimally during your commute, you're risking a ticket for NOTHING! Not worth the risk man, just abide by the laws of the road. Hopefully someone can at least answer your question but you know my suggestion, or I hope so at least.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:46 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

I asked another MF'er here and got that yeah they work cuz my buddy has one, but that was it.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:50 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Here:

Laser Jammer Laws

Radar Jammer info

More Radar Jammer info

"Sec. 501. General penalty
Any person who willfully and knowingly does or causes or suffers to be done any act, matter, or thing, in this chapter prohibited or declared to be unlawful, or who willfully and knowingly omits or fails to do any act, matter, or thing in this chapter required to be done, or willfully and knowingly causes or suffers such omission or failure, shall, upon conviction thereof, be punished for such offense, for which no penalty (other than a forfeiture) is provided in this chapter, by a fine of not more than $10,000 or by imprisonment for a term not exceeding one year, or both; except that any person, having been once convicted of an offense punishable under this section, who is subsequently convicted of violating any provision of this chapter punishable under this section, shall be punished by a fine of not more than $10,000 or by imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years, or both.
"

Last edited by bakerjd; 02-21-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:55 PM
Syracuse315
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DSargent09
Do radar/laser jammers work?
Not really with the new digital radar guns or new (2000's model year and beyond) laser guns.

Can police tell that you are using one?
If they have a jammer detector, usually right in the radar gun they can. It measures the frequency of the signal and compares it to the original signal sent out.

What are good jammers?
Can't help you there, but I use a V1 radar detector and it works great (loooonnggg range).

If you are caught using a jammer, what is the consequence?
1. Pissed off cop
2. Radar jamming is a violation of FCC/Federal law(s). Big $$$
3. In regards to laser jamming, from ehow.com:

"No federal law exists preventing the use of laser jammers. In an attempt to prevent drivers from obstructing an officer's readings, some states such as Illinois, Oklahoma, California, and South Carolina have passed laws against using these devices. These states view use of laser jammers as a way to break speed laws without any legal consequences. These consequences vary from state to state, but remain misdemeanor offenses."

[URL="http://www.ehow.com/info_8462878_laser-jammers.html#ixzz1n4ymhRMy"[/URL]

You could always just slow down, lol.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:03 PM
speedycpu
1st Gear Member

As a police radar technician I know a little bit about this since we also have a lidar department. In Texas as of Sept 1st 2011 laser jammers became illegal.
http://www.guysoflidar.com/texas-laser-jammer-laws.html

Yes, they can detect you if you have a jammer. All it requires is a cheap camera with a poor IR filter or a digital SLR with the IR filter removed from the cmos sensor. You have one officer watching down the road zoomed in and the other shooting cars with laser, if you all of a sudden see what looks like extra headlights (usually purple in color) pop up, there's your guy with the jammer.
If you want to do a simple test to see what it looks like, shoot your TV remote at your camera phone and you'll see it pulsing. Same type of thing, but, laser jammers are several orders of magnitude more powerful.

I've heard all commercial radar jammers that people can supposedly buy don't work and are a waste of money. I know of two ways of building a radar jammer, but, for obvious reasons I'm not going to disclose that sort of information. They are illegal anyway, so even if you do manage to get ahold of or build one that works you'll likely get slapped with a class C and the FCC will be talking to you as well.

Just my humble advice, buy a Valentine one with concealed display and mount the display between your tach and speedo just behind the steering wheel and the radar detector high and to the right of your rear view mirror.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:09 PM
Syracuse315
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by speedycpu
Just my humble advice, buy a Valentine one with concealed display and mount the display between your tach and speedo just behind the steering wheel and the radar detector high and to the right of your rear view mirror.
How did you know my setup, lol? (Although my concealed display is down by my shifter for quick signal ignores)
Old 02-21-2012, 10:11 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Lol - radar...

Not too hard to jam if you know how it works... Not going to tell anyone how to do it, though!

I say just drive the speed limit! Have a little fun on back roads from time to time - probably won't get you in too much trouble - but keep away from the traffic!

That being said, I live on a back road and they pulled me over for suspected DUI while I was swerving to avoid potholes.

ANOTHER NOTE:

Didn't somebody with a Cobra post a thread about how he made his car pretty much cop proof? Modified the front bumper, headliner, and everything?

Last edited by Young_Gun; 02-21-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:14 PM
Rainson
3rd Gear Member

those are useless...also a Mustang is more like showing off on the road rather than speeding to risk your life and more importantly someone else's life...
drive safe is the only way to keep you away from citations.
Drive like a man on the street, race like a pro at the track.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:17 PM
DSargent09
2nd Gear Member

Just to respond to everyone about not speeding.... I dont speed just came across a jammer on a website and was curious lol. havent had a ticket in over 3 years, and dont plan on it.

@Speedycpu what does that thing do? lol

@Baker, thanks for the good info my man.

Quick Reply: Need some police advice!!