Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Defective paint on 2005 to 2009 mustangs

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 07:36 PM
wildazme
3rd Gear Member

bottom line if your car has over 36000 miles on it they wont do sh*t, if we get it to be a recall they have to no matter what.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:41 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MrSandman
Aren't the hoods aluminum? If so, it will never rust through (only iron can rust (iron oxide), and this would be considered a paint defect only (not corrosion).
Yes, the hoods are aluminum. Technical sources would probably differentiate between iron and aluminum. The common dictionary says that rust includes non-iron metals that show a similar result to that of rust of iron as the result of corrosion. Corrosion is defined as a gradual wearing away by chemical action.

Whatever you call it, Ford only covers the defect under the bumper-to-bumper warranty unless there is perforation. If there is perforation, you have the warranty as described in a previous post.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:45 PM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MrSandman
Aren't the hoods aluminum? If so, it will never rust through (only iron can rust (iron oxide), and this would be considered a paint defect only (not corrosion).
Yes, and yes. It is contamination in the prep that causes it to bubble, and mine is starting to bubble pretty bad. I'll call tomorrow when I get back from work, and it is funny how things never change. A person I worked with said he had an older F150, and he washed the paint right off of his roof lol.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:49 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Art161
Yes, the hoods are aluminum. Technical sources would probably differentiate between iron and aluminum. The common dictionary says that rust includes non-iron metals that show a similar result to that of rust of iron as the result of corrosion. Corrosion is defined as a gradual wearing away by chemical action.

Whatever you call it, Ford only covers the defect under the bumper-to-bumper warranty unless there is perforation. If there is perforation, you have the warranty as described in a previous post.
...and aluminum isn't going to have perforation..which was my point. They use aluminum on planes for a reason.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:47 PM
SchneidyP4.6
2nd Gear Member

Just noticed this issue on my wife's 06 the other day. She is pissed. My dad had this on his 05, has been repainted 3 times and keeps bubbling up. This must be why the 2010+ have fiberglass hoods! The owners manual states the paint warranty is only 5 years. I think Ford should step up and fix this issue, especially for those people who take great care of their cars. I think it may be do to how the underside of the front part of the hood is designed. Looks like water can just sit up underneath it do to the overhang/groove.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:38 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SchneidyP4.6
Just noticed this issue on my wife's 06 the other day. She is pissed. My dad had this on his 05, has been repainted 3 times and keeps bubbling up. This must be why the 2010+ have fiberglass hoods! The owners manual states the paint warranty is only 5 years. I think Ford should step up and fix this issue, especially for those people who take great care of their cars. I think it may be do to how the underside of the front part of the hood is designed. Looks like water can just sit up underneath it do to the overhang/groove.
Where did you hear that from? I haven't actually looked into this, but I figured it was aluminum like the 2005 I had previously.

Don
Old 05-04-2012, 12:13 AM
ThaiCobra
3rd Gear Member

Well the paint in general sucks on these cars. If you ever look closely at a BMW/mercedes/high end car and then compare the paint qualities to a mustang, the difference is night and day. Mine has so many chips and dust flecks it is ridiculous. I have just come to accept that in order for Ford to make the mustang so affordable they had to cut some corners. Paint was one of those corners.

luckily i have not run into this issue though. Good luck with your recall!
Old 05-04-2012, 12:56 AM
SD 197
2nd Gear Member

I have the paint bubbling under the front of the hood near either side of the latch.

I had a similar issue on my 2004 Expedition, but on the rear hatch.

So far it isn't too bad, plus I can't see it.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:38 AM
wildazme
3rd Gear Member

if it bothers you or not you should still call, if all the mustang owners would just call you would be helping alot of people out there with this problem it only takes 5 minutes. if you have a mustang call help us all out.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:08 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by waykooljr
Sorry to keep pushing the warranty thing, just that my cars hood started bubbling up while it was under warranty and the dealership would've fixed it but it wasn't a good time to be without my car and I didn't have it done. Then I put it off until it was too late, figured I'd be changing the hood anyway.
I would have removed the hood at the dealer and left it with them. I don't need no stinking hood!

Quick Reply: Defective paint on 2005 to 2009 mustangs