Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by Latemodel Restoration

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 05-05-2012, 11:51 PM   #1
dannyr2008

Vehicle: 2005,Ford Mustang V6
Default crankshaft pulley (hormonic balancer) wobbly ?

Hi guys,

I've find that my crankshaft pulley is wobbly a bit. I've heard that pulley should not wobble at all and if it did, it should be replace asap.

Should i get it replace ?

I just bought the car, 2005 v6 engine with 106 000km.

I have no vibration of the engine on idle, no noise of any kind.

I have a video clip which i made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG3FLdtCYVE

What do you guys think about this ?

Thanks for your time

Danny
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
dannyr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:07 AM   #2
akdoggie
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 Ford Mustang

Watching your video, I actually saw no malfunctions. What I saw seemed to be a normal operating 4.0 and your slight movement is nothing to be worried about. The 4.0 balancer, when it's bad, will definitely be evident.
Black '07 4.0 coupe. 18" Bullitt Wheels, Bullitt susp & GT brake upgrade, GT500 strut plates, Dynamax exhaust w/GT mufflers, S/D Coil, Live Wires, JLT CAI w/Diablo tune, Hood struts, IPU, GT MyColor, Leather Pwr Seats, 13 Boss Strg Wheel, a/dim mirror, Homelink, amb light console, Ford Nav/SYNC, hood scoop, qtr & side scoops, r/w louvers, GT500 spoiler, CS/GT frt & rr bumpers, rad ext & batt-m/cyl covers, underhood caps, plenum cover, tloc 7.5 w/3.73's, Seq t/lights, trunk switch.
akdoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:00 AM   #3
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 08 GT Vert, 02 GT Vert

Yep.....nothing there to worry about.
I wake up in the morning with nothing to do and by supper time, I have half of it done.

2008 GT Vert, stock
2000 Lightning, s/c, tuned, Basanni, built tranny
Previous Mustangs:4 - '66 Coupes(silver/blue/grey/red) '87 GT HO, '00/'02/'07 GT Vert(red)(grey)(black), '68 Coupe, '11 GT/CS
AzPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:34 AM   #4
JimC

Vehicle: 2013 MCA convertible

I didn't see anything either.

An easy check though is take a white marker and draw a line from the center of the pulley straight out to the edge. Check that after driving and see if there is any movement. When the balancer goes it will wobble enough to break the straight line.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:35 PM   #5
duckbubbles
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2013 Mustang GT

Could not see any movement. Look at the edges of the pulley flange, just outside the belt run, from an overhead angle and you probably won't see it there.

Frank

SOLD! 2008 GT Premium, Vapor Metallic, 5-speed man. w/MGW, Ford Racing M6066 Whipple, GT500 Front end, Spoiler, Suspension and Wheels. GTA's, sequentials, one touch. Can't wipe the smile off my face.
duckbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:32 AM   #6
dannyr2008

Vehicle: 2005,Ford Mustang V6

Ok thanks for your replies guys.

How can i check if it's tight enough, do i just take a ratchet with the proper socket and check if it's snug ? How tight should it be ?

I watched my video and it seems to be less wobbly compared with my eyes. I'll try to make another video with another camera and see if it's more visible...

That might be a funny question but what kind of white marker do you use to do that test ?

It seems to be wobbling more up and down than sideways... I'll try to show that on my next video.

Thanks for your time

Danny
dannyr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:46 PM   #7
Derf00
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: '08 S197 GT

What you are seeing is not movement (at least from what I can see in the vid), it's the fast rotation of unevenly colord surfaces that give the illusion of movement.

With the engine off, take the serpentine belt off, grab the top and bottom of the pulley and try to push the top back and the bottom forward and vice-versa several times quickly. Should be zero play.

This next piece doesn't matter because it's a rotating mass but:
Then grab the laft and right side of the pulley and push the left back while pulling the right forward and vice-versa. Again zero play.

You would use a white wax marker or white sharpie (yes they make them in white). The wax marker can be easily removed. The sharpie...well it's meant to be permanent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostBoyz View Post
if you are getting 29mpg in your 5.0, you aren't driving it correctly
Derf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:46 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2007, 2013, 65, 87, belts, blue, crankshaft, engine, ford, gt, harmonic, mustang, pulley, sensor, v6, wobbling