Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 11:24 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

To change the topic a little... Even though we have no idea what Ford has planned for 2015 at this point, I do know one thing, I would LOVE to see a true fastback again.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:35 AM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
To change the topic a little... Even though we have no idea what Ford has planned for 2015 at this point, I do know one thing, I would LOVE to see a true fastback again.
AMEN! AMEN! AMEN I SAY TO THAT!
Old 05-14-2012, 02:30 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Something else we should remember, sometimes concepts are just either a decoy or a thought into what could be (not should be).

Take a look at the link http://www.stangbangers.com/1964.htm the last pick is the ORIGINAL Mustang concept car. Released 2 to 3 years before the production car came to market.

http://www.supercars.net/cars/2409.html this one has specs, note the DISC front brakes and the drum rears with a 1.9L engine Neither were on the production vehicle.

My point is, until Ford says "this is the car we're going to call the mustang" it's all conjecture and guessing...
Old 05-14-2012, 02:33 PM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
+1 to that..
Old 05-14-2012, 05:44 PM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Something else we should remember, sometimes concepts are just either a decoy or a thought into what could be (not should be).

Take a look at the link http://www.stangbangers.com/1964.htm the last pick is the ORIGINAL Mustang concept car. Released 2 to 3 years before the production car came to market.

http://www.supercars.net/cars/2409.html this one has specs, note the DISC front brakes and the drum rears with a 1.9L engine Neither were on the production vehicle.

My point is, until Ford says "this is the car we're going to call the mustang" it's all conjecture and guessing...
Ah yes Philip T. Clark's mid engine Mustang 1. At least the tri bar pony from that concept stuck.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:31 PM
mph07alloy
3rd Gear Member

After looking at this picture several times, I've decided that I DO like the car pictured, however I don't think this represents what Mustang enthusiasts expect with the next gen Mustang. Take the concept car and call it a Falcon or a Probe or whatever but not a Mustang. If you look at sports cars in general, say the Porsche 911, anyone slightly interested in cars knows a 911 when they see one, if it is a '70s model or a 2012. Each new 911 model is a continuation of the previous style. This concept drawing really doesn't look like a continuation of the current Mustang, it looks like a cross between an Aston and a Nissan Z with a running horse emblem on the grill. Ford should leave the new "global look" to the Taurus, Focus and Fusion and put the Mustang in a category of it's own. What should the next gen Mustang be? I have no idea, I'm not a car designer but this concept definitely isn't making my excitable parts excited.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:48 AM
CaptainRon
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mph07alloy
After looking at this picture several times, I've decided that I DO like the car pictured, however I don't think this represents what Mustang enthusiasts expect with the next gen Mustang. Take the concept car and call it a Falcon or a Probe or whatever but not a Mustang. If you look at sports cars in general, say the Porsche 911, anyone slightly interested in cars knows a 911 when they see one, if it is a '70s model or a 2012. Each new 911 model is a continuation of the previous style. This concept drawing really doesn't look like a continuation of the current Mustang, it looks like a cross between an Aston and a Nissan Z with a running horse emblem on the grill. Ford should leave the new "global look" to the Taurus, Focus and Fusion and put the Mustang in a category of it's own. What should the next gen Mustang be? I have no idea, I'm not a car designer but this concept definitely isn't making my excitable parts excited.

And I agree with you 100%. I still feel that Ford should continue developing on the S197.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:29 AM
potman
3rd Gear Member

I was talking to a dealer the other day and he told me the 15's will drop the retro all together. So if you like the retro, get' em' while they they're hot.

This leads me to ask, how will Chevy and Dodge respond? Will they ditch retro too?
Old 05-17-2012, 10:57 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by potman
I was talking to a dealer the other day and he told me the 15's will drop the retro all together. So if you like the retro, get' em' while they they're hot.

This leads me to ask, how will Chevy and Dodge respond? Will they ditch retro too?
LOL The dealer told you that?!?!?! Ford tells the dealers nothing about what is coming out, much less about a design that is coming out 2 years from now!
Old 05-17-2012, 11:25 AM
JThor
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mph07alloy
If you look at sports cars in general, say the Porsche 911, anyone slightly interested in cars knows a 911 when they see one, if it is a '70s model or a 2012. Each new 911 model is a continuation of the previous style. . . Ford should leave the new "global look" to the Taurus, Focus and Fusion and put the Mustang in a category of it's own. . .
I agree. The "classic" Mustang was a winner. The subsequent iterations up to the S197 never had the same appeal. The S197 has been a winner again. Ford's sales proved it. I see plenty of twenty-somethings drooling over my GT. So, I doubt the S197 lacks appeal to the younger generation. They are just paying off student loans rather than plunking the money down on an expensive sports car. The 911 still has the appeal even though it is very reminiscent of the original 911.

Like Porsche, Ford ought to evolve the Mustang, rather than go the old American car manufacturers route of the '50's and '60's where the body style is radically changed often. It didn't work back then, and I doubt it will work now.

Quick Reply: 2015 Mustang?