Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decisions, Decisions. I need a little advice.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 12:40 PM
Roush05
3rd Gear Member

That would be great. I would really appreciate it. And I do have access to a machine that I could use to cut my current pipe, but I wasn't sure how it mated up to the long tubes because they haven't arrived yet. That would save me a couple hundred bucks though for sure.

edit: What do I do about the O2 sensor location?

Last edited by Roush05; 05-10-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:25 PM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Roush05
That would be great. I would really appreciate it. And I do have access to a machine that I could use to cut my current pipe, but I wasn't sure how it mated up to the long tubes because they haven't arrived yet. That would save me a couple hundred bucks though for sure.

edit: What do I do about the O2 sensor location?
PM incoming with cell #

For the O2's you will need at least 2 extensions for the fronts. Since you got real longtubes, you will need to extend the front O2's to reach. I needed 4, but you could get away with 2. AM's site shows they come in the box, so I wouldn't worry.

Your tune will compensate for the distance difference of the front O2's. Since they are much further downstream, they take longer to heat up.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:15 PM
Roush05
3rd Gear Member

I know there are 2 O2 sensors on each side. Are you saying I can get away with 2 total(1 on each side)? I am assuming the protrusion on the headers is for O2 sensors? I just noticed in some of the shorty h pipe pics, they had holes for O2 sensors like the link below. If that is the case, do I need to cut O2 sensor holes in my current h pipe?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/bbk-sh...t-offroad.html
Old 05-10-2012, 02:26 PM
ShinobiOfLegends
3rd Gear Member

Roush05, where in ga are you?
Old 05-10-2012, 02:39 PM
Roush05
3rd Gear Member

I am in Statesboro, but I have family in Woodstock. Why, what's up?
Old 05-10-2012, 10:31 PM
Roush05
3rd Gear Member

Bumping with an update. I just bought Comp Cams Stage 2 127200 cams and Steeda UDPs. I am currently leaning towards putting all of them on and running a Bama tune. I want to get in touch with Eric and see if he thinks a dyno tune would net me much. If not, I will just do some dyno pulls over there.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:05 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

I know there are 2 O2 sensors on each side. Are you saying I can get away with 2 total(1 on each side)? I am assuming the protrusion on the headers is for O2 sensors? I just noticed in some of the shorty h pipe pics, they had holes for O2 sensors like the link below. If that is the case, do I need to cut O2 sensor holes in my current h pipe?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/bbk-sh...t-offroad.html
I think we're over-complicating this. You need all 4 (2 front, which live in the header collectors, and 2 in the rear) O2's. I thought your question was retaining to how many O2 extenders you need. Your current H pipe should already have the O2 bungs in it, but if the part you cut off has them you will need new bungs.

Bumping with an update. I just bought Comp Cams Stage 2 127200 cams and Steeda UDPs. I am currently leaning towards putting all of them on and running a Bama tune. I want to get in touch with Eric and see if he thinks a dyno tune would net me much. If not, I will just do some dyno pulls over there.
Awesome. The way you do the install without the spring compressor is as follows:
Take out spark plugs, get to the point where you have valve covers off.
Rotate engine to 12:00 and verify with cam position on each side
Back the cam caps off slowly, and remove the 3 unloaded followers.
Re torque cam caps
rotate engine to 6:00
Now all the other followers are un-loaded, so you can just remove the caps and replace the cam.

All the spring compressor does is save you the trouble of backing the cam caps off, but it's not difficult and I've heard some people say the spring compressor makes it more difficult.

Feel free to give me a call if you're confused at all!
Old 05-11-2012, 01:02 PM
Roush05
3rd Gear Member

Will do. I don't know most of the terminology, but once I figure out which piece corresponds to which name I should get it pretty easily.

Also, since I don't have to worry about emissions, if I have to drill new holes for the O2 sensors, could I just zip tie the back two out of the way and not worry about them?
Old 05-11-2012, 01:23 PM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Will do. I don't know most of the terminology, but once I figure out which piece corresponds to which name I should get it pretty easily.

Also, since I don't have to worry about emissions, if I have to drill new holes for the O2 sensors, could I just zip tie the back two out of the way and not worry about them?
You could, yes. I know some people that don't have emissions use one of the rear O2's for a wideband sensor.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:28 PM
Roush05
3rd Gear Member

I'll have to see where my current O2 sensor holes on my midpipe are then.

I found a write up for the exact cams that I'm gonna be putting in:

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...-write-up.html

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...-page-2-a.html

Quick Reply: Decisions, Decisions. I need a little advice.