Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Hood Pins that Don't Scratch Paint?

Old 05-13-2012, 12:43 AM
Shift
2nd Gear Member

Default Any Hood Pins that Don't Scratch Paint?

I know this has been posted dozens of times, but most forums and posts where I'm reading up on this are dated 4-5 years ago... and a lot can change in that time.
I am considering hood pins. I mean real ones for the look. I love the old classic look but have read plenty of threads about people having issues with hood rub/scratches. My friend bought a Shelby GT a couple years ago and got a new hood for the reason his was all scratched up from his stock pins.
So my question is, for real pins (not AM's appearance one) is there pins out there with lanyards that don't scratch the hood or would be recommended? I have only a few problems ill put out there. For one I don't want black pins nor do i want anything that says Shelby on it, because my car is a Ford/Roush hybrid :P and I have absolutely nothing Shelby on the car.... shame probably I know, but its one of those things that'll be weird to me.
Ive read the whole "put tubing on it" stuff but i dont want it do look thick and weird because i put tubing on the lanyards from home depot.
Thanks guys.

Last edited by Shift; 05-13-2012 at 12:46 AM.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:04 AM
ShinobiOfLegends
3rd Gear Member

Screw hood pins, aerocatch FTW!!!!

http://www.aerocatch.com
Old 05-13-2012, 01:08 AM
Shift
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShinobiOfLegends
Screw hood pins, aerocatch FTW!!!!

http://www.aerocatch.com
That would be nice and all if I went to the track, but with a stock hood I don't NEED pins. 90% for my want in getting them is for appearance hence my reasoning for wanting pins and lanyards, yet also ones that work and are not 3m bond.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:00 AM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

http://www.cjponyparts.com/product.a...paign=shopping

From my knowledge even with the vinyl rapped wire they're still likely to scratch. I don't know, maybe clear vinyl wrap the hood.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:47 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

I don't use the lanyards. The only purpose of the lanyards is to allow the pins to dangle when the hood is open. Why risk scratches when you have all the functionality without them.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:09 AM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

My car used to have the Shelby pins with the lanyards that were covered in vinyl. Had absolutely no rubbing or scratching at on all on my stock hood in 2+ years.. Please note my car IS a daily driver too...so if ya find good ones with the vinyl lanyards like I bought from Shelby ... U should be fine.. The only reason I don't have anymore is I have new hood now with twist lock hood pins now
Old 05-13-2012, 03:39 AM
gothamems
3rd Gear Member

I have Scott Drake billett hood pins. I also have a clear bra on my front end, which was installed prior to my hood pins. I intentially took as much slack out of the lanyards when I installed them. To date, 3-4 years later, I have no scratches, marring, or blemishes on any of my paint,or damage to the clear viynal on the hood. The 3M clear bra install, including head lamps, fogs, and door handles was $625 if I can remember.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:38 AM
D'prived
4th Gear Member

I had my Shelby hood pins with the lanyards for about six months with no problems with scratching, rubbing or marring. I took the lanyards off because I didn't really like how it looked. Here's a pic without the lanyards. I like the cleaner look.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:09 AM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

I have the Shelby ones on mine (without the "Shelby"lettering on them) and I love them. As long as you keep a good coat of wax on your hood where the lanyards make contact you won't have any issues.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:51 AM
Shift
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CutterWolf
I have the Shelby ones on mine (without the "Shelby"lettering on them) and I love them. As long as you keep a good coat of wax on your hood where the lanyards make contact you won't have any issues.
So you have the Scott Drake ones? These?
http://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-dra...-2009/p/HDPK5/
Those are the ones I was looking at.
I wax the car maybe 4-6 times a year. Depends on how many shows I go to, but it is my Daily Driver as well. It seems like these are a problem for black cars more than other colors. If I do ever get the issue I could always remove the lanyards, but how hard is getting the scratches out. Simply buff it out?
Also people have said, it depends on how much slack you have in the lanyard. Too tight would seem bad, and so would too loose but I may be wrong, cause I've never had them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any Hood Pins that Don't Scratch Paint?