Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning and RWHP/RWTQ Guesses?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 01:50 PM
Roush05
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by S197GT07
Don't make decisions based on dyno numbers. Take it to the track and your trap speed will tell you what you really make.

Obviously as its been said dyno's read all over the place, they are a tuning tool, not something to make decisions off of man!
The only track close to where I am now is an 1/8 mile. I am not sure if there is one close to my college, but I'll have to check.
Originally Posted by 808muscle
How can you not have a job? How is this possible? No I'm in school excuses either. I worked 5 nights a week as a waiter all through college myself. Get to work man. Lol
It's not for lack of applications lol. I just haven't been called back yet. I really want to get one for the summer because *IF* I got one, I could work pretty much full time all summer and make enough for a blower. If I'm going to do that though, I need to make my decision before I put all of this on. I could make a profit selling the stuff I got because I got most of it for a good price.
Originally Posted by bigD1515
I'm agreeing with most of these other people. Take it to the track and check those numbers! A lot cheaper and to me it says a lot more But, since you're going with the Dyno, dont guesstimate high, guesstimate LOW so when the actual number is higher, you'll be like F-YEAH BRO!
I want to guess realistically :P My hopeful number is 340 ish but I know how much it varies.

Side note: I installed smoked corner lights just now. I like them a lot more than the OEM orange ones, especially with my car being black. What do you think?

Old 05-15-2012, 01:57 PM
bigD1515
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Roush05

Much better! ;P
Old 05-15-2012, 01:59 PM
Roush05
3rd Gear Member

Thanks! I want to tint all the lights, but I don't want to compromise safety/get a ticket/have someone rear end me and blame it on the tint. I put amber bulbs in so that I still get the amber color for my turn signals.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:00 PM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

The only track close to where I am now is an 1/8 mile. I am not sure if there is one close to my college, but I'll have to check.

Side note: I installed smoked corner lights just now. I like them a lot more than the OEM orange ones, especially with my car being black. What do you think?
Just go to the track, doesn't matter what size, that will be your determining factor if you kill it with fire.

Lights look good! Don't know what your state laws are but in Mass the turn signal must be amber. Since stock the bulb is clear and the housing is amber, I just got some amber bulbs for $3 to stay legal.

EDIT: Looks like you're a smart one.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:09 PM
Roush05
3rd Gear Member

Just go to the track, doesn't matter what size, that will be your determining factor if you kill it with fire.

Lights look good! Don't know what your state laws are but in Mass the turn signal must be amber. Since stock the bulb is clear and the housing is amber, I just got some amber bulbs for $3 to stay legal.

EDIT: Looks like you're a smart one.
I kinda figured that there was a law on that, so I went ahead and got some. Don't need to give the police any excuse to stop me!

Man, I am on the edge again about a supercharger. The main thing stopping me from looking for a used vortech/procharger/m90 (besides money) is that I am afraid I would throw a rod or mess up the engine in some other way. I could get close to $1500 for the stuff I have bought recently if I sold it, which would put me halfway there. I wish I wasn't so indecisive.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:23 PM
bigD1515
3rd Gear Member

Man, I am on the edge again about a supercharger. The main thing stopping me from looking for a used vortech/procharger/m90 (besides money) is that I am afraid I would throw a rod or mess up the engine in some other way. I could get close to $1500 for the stuff I have bought recently if I sold it, which would put me halfway there. I wish I wasn't so indecisive.
Superchargers don't do any damage to the engine do they? These cars are rated for high TQ and HP numbers so it can handle the stress. I thought that was only turbos that cause a bit of long term damage, someone correct me if I'm wrong but you should be fine

EDIT: and yeah stay on the safe side. Your car already sticks out enough. But you can be guaranteed as long as you're behaving, cops are admiring. Shoot them a wave here and there. I bet you'll see a nod of approval in return!
Old 05-15-2012, 02:27 PM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

I kinda figured that there was a law on that, so I went ahead and got some. Don't need to give the police any excuse to stop me!

I wouldn't worry about the engine if you have a good tuner around. Just tell him you're looking for longevity, and dumb the timing down so you'll just sit at 420 or so. Never boost in 5th, shift before 6k rpm, and if you have a SAFE 420 you should be ok.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:32 PM
Roush05
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bigD1515
Superchargers don't do any damage to the engine do they? These cars are rated for high TQ and HP numbers so it can handle the stress. I thought that was only turbos that cause a bit of long term damage, someone correct me if I'm wrong but you should be fine

EDIT: and yeah stay on the safe side. Your car already sticks out enough. But you can be guaranteed as long as you're behaving, cops are admiring. Shoot them a wave here and there. I bet you'll see a nod of approval in return!
I usually try to smile and wave. heck, I know most of the cops in my town.

No, your engine could go at any time. Adding a turbo/supercharger just adds more stress and increases the likelihood of something happening. I've heard it a million times though; it's all in the tune. (and the internals if you plan to go above 450 rwhp or so)
I wouldn't worry about the engine if you have a good tuner around. Just tell him you're looking for longevity, and dumb the timing down so you'll just sit at 420 or so. Never boost in 5th, shift before 6k rpm, and if you have a SAFE 420 you should be ok.
Well, what would you do in my situation? BrooksSpeed(Eric Brooks's shop) is a couple hours from my house, so I have a good tuner available. I am not a street racer or anything like that, I just enjoy the thought of a powerful car.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:42 PM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Well, what would you do in my situation? BrooksSpeed(Eric Brooks's shop) is a couple hours from my house, so I have a good tuner available. I am not a street racer or anything like that, I just enjoy the thought of a powerful car.
Um wow, he's one of the best so thats good. I would go blower man, BUT know that at any time, you could toss a rod. You will go through the pain of having to sell what you have, but it'll be worth it in the end.

First decide what blower you want, but if you had the option blower all the way man. Its too easy on these cars and if you ERIC BROOKS down the street (ish ), have him tune it and tell him to go on the safe side.

I'm going out on a limb and guessing you don't have a beater/DD?
Old 05-15-2012, 02:49 PM
Roush05
3rd Gear Member

Um wow, he's one of the best so thats good. I would go blower man, BUT know that at any time, you could toss a rod. You will go through the pain of having to sell what you have, but it'll be worth it in the end.

First decide what blower you want, but if you had the option blower all the way man. Its too easy on these cars and if you ERIC BROOKS down the street (ish ), have him tune it and tell him to go on the safe side.

I'm going out on a limb and guessing you don't have a beater/DD?
Yeah, I am lucky to have someone like that close by.

Correct, the Roush is my DD. That's the only thing that has me hesitant.

As far as deciding what blower I want, my ideal blower would be the M90. Safe numbers, and you get supercharger whine. Second would be Vortech or Procharger. They would compliment my 4.10 gears, and can be found pretty cheap. I kick myself every day for what I did a while back. I found the deal of the century on a Vortech V-3 kit on craigslist. Full kit with a few hundred miles on it that only needed about $200 in parts, injectors, and BAP. I paid $1200 shipped. I pieced almost everything together and then had to sell it because I needed money for car payments. I invested about $1400 and had a full setup. I ended up selling it on ebay for $2200. If only another deal like that would pop up.

Quick Reply: Tuning and RWHP/RWTQ Guesses?