Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cops be buggin

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 03:58 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Is it your local town cop? If so he will be looking for you to break the rule.
There are so many laws that people aren't even aware of. For example in VA & NC it is against the law to have a bracket or frame around your license plate. It's also against the law to have anything hanging from your rear-view mirror. Cops use these law violations if they suspect you of something else in order to pull you over.
I was driving in NC last month in my Conversion Van and I had two unmarked 2012 Black Chargers following me from behind and beside me for 15 minutes! They were trying to find a reason to pull me over and they got me for a friggin license plate frame. While one cop was talking to me the other was peeking through my back window. I think they suspected me of hauling guns, drugs or illegals! LOL When they saw I was clean, they let me go.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:12 PM
stephen1371
2nd Gear Member

i used to have the blacked out covers, got pulled cop was pretty cool, just gave me a warining, i asked why i cant have them and if i could tint them instead, i had them on for about 6 months and never got pulled before, he let me know that in GA, there can be no tint of anykind on and reflectors or tail lights, i took them off and now i just deal with
Old 05-20-2012, 04:16 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

So, cop didn't write you a ticket and he's still a douche bag? No wonder cops write so many tickets if they still get no respect even when they let people off.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:18 PM
Pope1122
1st Gear Member

Somebody told me i could keep the tint up there but put two small circle reflectors on my license plate, if so im going to try that, but first im going to atch this part time cop on duty and ask him exactly what the law is on it. Im sure he is going to say you just cant have any tint or covers or your lights
Old 05-20-2012, 05:01 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Like stephen said, here in GA any tint/covers are illegal for headlights and tail lights.
Its fairly likely that they are illegal elsewhere its just a matter if the cop wants to stop you or not
Old 05-20-2012, 05:35 PM
adidasUNT8
3rd Gear Member

the covers look like crap anyhow... tint your tails or buy some tinted ones and you won't get pulled over for looking ghetto.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:44 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

^hahha.. I have to agree. A few of my friends have had those covers a while back.. they are dim as **** when you are following them in the daylight, bro.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:31 PM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

NY it's 1000 feet. Every time I go on a local cruise we get cops coming out the wazoo. Last week we had 4 guys with tinted tails pulled over and ticketed. The first thing I did to my car was tinted windows all the way around. I ran them for nearly a year. Then in one week got pulled over 3 times because of them. Needless to say now I'm tint free. I'm not even going to bother messing with my lights.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:32 PM
notanexit7

I'm an NC traffic cop. The general statute is 20-129(d) regarding rear tail lights (also includes tint). They have to be visible from 500 ft and like the other member said..I don't carry a tape measure just to measure how far I can see your lights, however, the cover's are a whole lot darker than actual tint and I have stopped a car before because I could not see any tail lights during the daytime. No I did not write a ticket for something stupid like that but I made them understand that it was extremely dangerous during the day when nobody can see your brake lights. Also just like 07 Stang stated, you can't have a license plate frame of any kind covering the license plate. Stupid law, yes, but bad guys use that to conceal their plate because they think I won't read it. They think it "hides" them from the police. I am what you call a "barney fife" town cop. When you stop a car for a license plate frame and pull a kilo of dope from the car..best feeling on the planet. You are correct in that we use something small to get something bigger. If your mess is straight you'll be let go for the most part, unless you got diarrhea of the mouth as soon as the officer got to the window. People fail to realize that they talk themselves into tickets half the time.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:57 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

^^^^^^^^^Nice....................first post, lol.

But it really is like you said: use the small tools to get to the big stuff.
A pull over for a tail light out, will get the guy that has a warrant against him.
It happens countless times...

Quick Reply: Cops be buggin