Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cops be buggin

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 08:42 PM
notanexit7

Exactly
Old 05-20-2012, 09:04 PM
xkape
4th Gear Member

I think that, in a mustang, you will be let go and in a POS ricer you will get a ticket. Or any other American car really. Cops are not so different from "normal folk". They are actually more American Made that most. My experience has been that, in an American made car, im fine. In a foreign car, im f'ed.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:34 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Look man, the law is the law. I run no front license plate and when I get pulled over for it, it's MY fault. I don't sit there and blame the cop...I fix it right there and don't give the officer grief, usually don't get a ticket...If you get a ticket, show the judge that you fixed it and usually they will let you off...it's just a non-moving violation with a small fine anyways. My car had taillight covers...I got pulled over a few times for it. Ended up selling them because it's just not worth the annoyance...plus smoke covers were only cool in the 90s if you think about it, kinda played out now. Is it worth possibly going to jail by popping off to a cop? I would rather spend 1 minute fixing the issue then a night in jail.

Last edited by Ricardo; 05-20-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:10 PM
Pope1122
1st Gear Member

thinking way too much, i never said i was a dick to him? Going to jail is the last thing there going to do over a light cover, Im just saying if can find my way around it an use them i am, if not so be it.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:23 PM
Stuart McWilliams
2nd Gear Member

People got a little sidetracked here. People took it as "A douchebag cop pulled me over for my taillights and now I'm mad" instead of what how he was able to still use his covers. The covers are expensive, especially for what they are, and I personally have had some bad experiences with spray and film. Spray can look splotchy and is permanent (correct me if I'm wrong) and film can be a pain in the butt to install and will usually start to wrinkle and bubble. Both can make a beautiful car look like a ricemobile.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:40 PM
edcologne
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by notanexit7
I'm an NC traffic cop. The general statute is 20-129(d) regarding rear tail lights (also includes tint). They have to be visible from 500 ft and like the other member said..I don't carry a tape measure just to measure how far I can see your lights, however, the cover's are a whole lot darker than actual tint and I have stopped a car before because I could not see any tail lights during the daytime. No I did not write a ticket for something stupid like that but I made them understand that it was extremely dangerous during the day when nobody can see your brake lights. Also just like 07 Stang stated, you can't have a license plate frame of any kind covering the license plate. Stupid law, yes, but bad guys use that to conceal their plate because they think I won't read it. They think it "hides" them from the police. I am what you call a "barney fife" town cop. When you stop a car for a license plate frame and pull a kilo of dope from the car..best feeling on the planet. You are correct in that we use something small to get something bigger. If your mess is straight you'll be let go for the most part, unless you got diarrhea of the mouth as soon as the officer got to the window. People fail to realize that they talk themselves into tickets half the time.
well said

and thank you for your much appreciated service
Old 05-20-2012, 11:42 PM
2007bluestang
4th Gear Member

^ ^acetone takes the paint off tail lights
Old 05-21-2012, 12:32 AM
stephen1371
2nd Gear Member

some people cut them so it shows (2?) tail lights some rule on how much of the brake light can be uncovered, not really sure just something i have seen some guys do so they can use
Old 05-21-2012, 01:10 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Pope1122
Sup guys, i live in nc and i have the taillight covers on my car (smoked). I have been in front of sheriffs and state troopers and they never said anything but i got pulled today by a barney fife town cop today and was rude an he was going to right me a town ticket($35) but instead i went around and popped them off haha he got ill then. He said if he saw them on again i was getting a ticket, I paid like 100 for them is there any way around this? Like any ideas from you guys or am i just not gonna be able to ave them? thanks
Good luck with that.... General consensus is its based on what area you are in and how the police are around there...
Old 05-21-2012, 07:38 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Pope1122
I paid like 100 for them is there any way around this? Like any ideas from you guys or am i just not gonna be able to ave them? thanks
Why not just save them for the days at fairground or other car shows or in the parking lots at the beach or cruise night stops?

That's really the places where this sort of appearance mod is going to get the best reaction, when people have plenty of time to look at them without having their mind distracted by driving their own car (and keeping it from not hitting yours).

Norm

Quick Reply: Cops be buggin