Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a V6 but reeeeeally want a V8

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 10:29 AM
cema93
2nd Gear Member

Default Got a V6 but reeeeeally want a V8

I have owned my '07 V6 since the 24th of June in 2009 (greatest day). I love my Mustang. It is like my pal. He gets me where I want to go and I treat him right with frequent washes and waxes. I keep the factory rims shining and the tires gleaming. I turn heads in town. My Mustang is vista blue with white racing stripes, hood scoop, louvers, chrome upper and lower grill, Gt fog lights, dual exhaust with a self-installed GT bumper, and sequentials. I would hate to think of anyone else driving it. BUT

About a year ago I started getting a bad itch for the 8. I am sure some of you guys out there know what I am talking about. I go to college and see a few GT's and cant stand it. The loud rumble, the power, the american legacy. I want the fun and excitement of a GT. I would probably keep it for a loooooong time and slowly add stuff and who knows? it may sell for 200k on the SPEED channel 40 years from now . doubtful but anywho...

question is: Should I trade mine in (in another town because I couldn't stand to see it driven by someone else) and get a GT? I found a few good deals and I could get about a 4-6 thousand dollar difference. I have found a lot with under 50k miles. mine has 48k. I am getting married in July. We have quite a bit of money put back, have full rides in college, and work 25 hours a week. (this summer is looking about 30). Suprisingly, my fiance is encouraging me. I just worry about insurance, and gas differences. Should I wait till I am out of college and have a "real Job" to get one or just get one now?? I dont want to buy on an impulse and it is killing me.

Thanks ahead of time for you "sane" opinions.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:51 AM
xkape
4th Gear Member

The fact that you took the time to type all that and post it tells me you have already made up your mind but are looking for some backup.

Oddly enough, the more you debate it to yourself, the bigger of an impulse buy it will be when you do decide to pull the trigger. Decide now to go through with it and then take your time finding the reight GT while you still have the patience to do so.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:35 AM
AMustangHopeful

Well, I called my insurance a couple months back to see what I might be paying for the v6, and the v8. Both cars came in at right around 150 a month, give or take 5 bucks. That was also for the 2013 Mustangs with full insurance.

If you're wanting the new 5.0 GT, the gas is the same. Old GT, is 2 less in the city, 3 less on the highway, or if u have the auto, highway is the same (by the factory mpg specs anyway). Depends on how you drive the GT though, if you go WOT after every red light, your gas usage will be terrible. I've heard some guys with the 3.31 gears for the 5.0 GT get 22-27 mpg.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:40 AM
Ares05
2nd Gear Member

I wouldn't worry about gas, it really is about the same with the V6 as long as you are not speed racing around town. insurance might be a little different depending on your age (since I don't know it). I feel you man, actually I think I'm in a very similar boat. I have a 2005 sonic blue v6 with white racing stripes and quarter window louvers. I have good memories in my car and I remember the day I got it. My father was talking with me the other day about it because I had the money to go for a mach 1 that I really loved. He just basically told me to work for it and that a GT would be my goal for out of college, and it is working. I got my v6 by cutting a deal to help out my parents with college, They gave my brother the option to go out of state and I said im good and they decided to help me buy my car(I pay for everything else). I realize I went off on a tangent but maybe you could wait a little bit. You are getting married which is costly enough. Although if you say you have then money saved up, wait till you find the right one for you and then pull the trigger, find one that will make you just as happy as your v6. Good luck with your choice man!

(im hoping to help my parents out even more by possibly getting an ROTC scholarship, they have done a lot and I hope I can repay them) then going for a termi when im out of school!
Old 05-21-2012, 11:50 AM
cema93
2nd Gear Member

xkape, I am looking for some backup. I am looking for a big reason not to. I am very conservative with my money and so is my fiance.

mustang hopeful: There is nothing in this world I would love more than a 2013 5.0 or maybe a 2014 or 2015. BUT i dont want to pay the difference. an 05-09 GT would give me the desired price difference. It isnt a matter of ability but of conservativness/being "cheap" lol. thank you for insurance opinion. I am very blessed with helpful parents....They are divorced and split my insurance. I just pay for gas. car was paid for when they bought it for me. So i would just have to take on the extra insurance

Ares05: im very good with the peddle. I am getting 19.8 in town right now . 90%-95% city and 5%-10% highway. I just want an 8 so bad. I wouldnt say i am jealous of the other GT owners but just jealous of the fun and excitement.

Last edited by cema93; 05-21-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:57 AM
Ares05
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cema93
xkape, I am looking for some backup. I am looking for a big reason not to. I am very conservative with my money and so is my fiance.

mustang hopeful: There is nothing in this world I would love more than a 2013 5.0 or maybe a 2014 or 2015. BUT i dont want to pay the difference. an 05-09 GT would give me the desired price difference. It isnt a matter of ability but of conservativness/being "cheap" lol. thank you for insurance opinion. I am very blessed with helpful parents....They are divorced and split my insurance. I just pay for gas. car was paid for when they bought it for me. So i would just have to take on the extra insurance

Ares05: im very good with the peddle. I am getting 19.8 in town right now . 90%-95% city and 5%-10% highway. I just want an 8 so bad. I wouldnt say i am jealous of the other GT owners but just jealous of the fun and excitement.
I feel this so much in my town, although we have a lot of spoiled idiots in my town who's parents have a lot of money and not a lot of sense. So you would love a 5.0 but wouldn't mind a 05-09 GT? As stated earlier since money, insurance, and gas don't seem to be a problem, I would go for it but do it in a conservative way like you said. Wait and look around for awhile and find the absolute perfect one for you! That should also probably help tide the impulse a little bit.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:58 AM
cema93
2nd Gear Member

[QUOTE=Ares05;7946558]He just basically told me to work for it and that a GT would be my goal for out of college[QUOTE]

IDk if I can wait 3-3.5 years man. I see these people at college with Hemi chargers, camaro ss, mustang gt's and i want that fun. I want those conversations with "car" people about V8's and mods. I can carry a good conversation now with my 6 but still. I had a friend of mine who i went to school with, he is 1 year ahead of me, and he got a 2004 black gt. flowmasters, tune, cai...beast.....sometimes we will talk in the parking lot at college and when he drives away i will get my window down or leave my door open juust so i can hear the decibels and the cleaness of his flowmasters. I dont want a GT to be a stop light punk. I want it cause it would be freakn sweet XD
Old 05-21-2012, 12:07 PM
Ares05
2nd Gear Member

[QUOTE=cema93;7946575][QUOTE=Ares05;7946558]He just basically told me to work for it and that a GT would be my goal for out of college

IDk if I can wait 3-3.5 years man. I see these people at college with Hemi chargers, camaro ss, mustang gt's and i want that fun. I want those conversations with "car" people about V8's and mods. I can carry a good conversation now with my 6 but still. I had a friend of mine who i went to school with, he is 1 year ahead of me, and he got a 2004 black gt. flowmasters, tune, cai...beast.....sometimes we will talk in the parking lot at college and when he drives away i will get my window down or leave my door open juust so i can hear the decibels and the cleaness of his flowmasters. I dont want a GT to be a stop light punk. I want it cause it would be freakn sweet XD
I am feeling you man, you hear that deep low angry rumble and it just sounds awesome. Do you know which of the model years you would like to have/ preference looks wise or performance? 11-13? 05-09? maybe the 03-04? (termi's are pretty sick).
Old 05-21-2012, 12:36 PM
cema93
2nd Gear Member

well i would definetly want the newest one possible ('13) but again, i dont want the big price difference. so i would be plenty happy with an 05-09. they have a great look and everything. i do like the new mustang look too. i honestly dont care to much for the 99-04 look.

05-09, lowest miles possible, good price, pretty much 100% stock, shaker 500 at least, either blue, black, dark red, or gray
Old 05-21-2012, 12:44 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

get the GT!
you wont regret it.
the only thing you are regretting right now is not having the GT.

Quick Reply: Got a V6 but reeeeeally want a V8