Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on CAI

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 02:48 PM
jcieutat
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Order_66
isnt it possible that the CAI makes the engine work less (more efficient) to achieve the same output? isnt that alone reason enough to do the mod?

is oiling these CAI just like oiling a drop in K&N? or is it more involved than washing it, letting it dry and apply the oil?
Spending $350 to make an engine work less to obtain the same output makes no sense to me! That being said, my car will never hit the track or drag strip.

I never did the K&N drop in but I am sure it is the same. C&L did not provide any guidance as far as the oiling.

At the end of the day I am sure you are like me, you will do what you want to do regardless what anyone else advises!
Old 05-24-2012, 03:52 PM
Order_66
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jcieutat
Spending $350 to make an engine work less to obtain the same output makes no sense to me!
well, to me that means less stress on the engine. less stress means longer healthier life.

just my thoughts. could be wrong to assume that.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:06 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

so the ONLY people with the #8 failure are users of the BAMA tune??
There are people with cylinder #8 failures from pretty much every aftermarket tuner you can think of. That being said, the failure rate is really low if you add up all of the tunes sold by each business.

We do offer a warranty against the cylinder #8 failures for Bama customers who have never run another tune other than stock before ours.

Hope this helps!

Chris
Old 05-24-2012, 05:26 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jcieutat
The OEM GT500 does come with one that is accompanied by a SUPERCHARGER! Maybe the SC needs alot more airflow!

I can only speak from MY personal experience here. I had the C&L CAI and Bama tune on my 2010 GT. I tried all 3 tunes with the correct accompanying fuel octanes. I then removed the CAI and had them send me tunes without it. I felt NO difference whatsoever. I am just being honest here. People want to jump out and buy these items thinking they are going to get get all kinds of crazy horsepower when the tune is what gives the horsepower. I was one of them! Then you have to deal with cleaning and properly oiling the filter which can be a task as well. If you over oil it, your car will die on you constantly.
GT500 is a little different. Limited run and probably doesn't have to abide by the same regs as regular GT's. Well, that is, if you're talking about a cone filter?

Anyway...the mere fact that a CAI makes the engine run lean without a tune tells me that obviously the CAI is doing something. Yeah, I'm sure most of the power increase comes from the tune, but the intake isn't doing nothing, especially at higher RPM's. It's also not really that hard to properly oil a filter. If that's such an issue, replace it with an AEM Dryflow. They don't need oiled, I've been a fan of them for years...but they aren't cheap.

Also I spent $94 total on my C&L Racer intake so I don't feel too bad about it
Old 05-24-2012, 06:10 PM
stephen1371
2nd Gear Member

the search feature also works great, best mod, the cold air question has been asked a million times
Old 05-24-2012, 08:49 PM
Order_66
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMChrisRose
There are people with cylinder #8 failures from pretty much every aftermarket tuner you can think of. That being said, the failure rate is really low if you add up all of the tunes sold by each business.

We do offer a warranty against the cylinder #8 failures for Bama customers who have never run another tune other than stock before ours.

Hope this helps!

Chris
yes it does. i was getting nervous that there was something specific with BAMA.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:51 PM
Order_66
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stephen1371
the search feature also works great, best mod, the cold air question has been asked a million times
why is there always one person who needs to make this point almost every time a question is asked? im sorry if made a mistake.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:18 PM
stephen1371
2nd Gear Member

its just faster to search most of the time then it is to wait for someone to answer your question, just stick around once a week someone will ask the cold air question, which is usually everyone first mod regardless on which is the best and if does or doesnt work, better question qould be should i buy one if im going supercharged, since most wont work with the supercharger, also why am im paying full price since there are 100 being sold used once a week

Last edited by stephen1371; 05-24-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:11 PM
BlackGT45th
2nd Gear Member

so the ONLY people with the #8 failure are users of the BAMA tune??
I'm glad AMChrisRose dropped in to give you details because I am/was not sure if it was just Bama or all the aftermarket tuning companies. I do know that most of the issues were when the tuning community wasn't as experienced with the 5.0 as they seem to be now and if I remember correctly it had something to do with the advance in spark(?) or something to that nature. Good luck on finding your CAI/tune package, there are many options and most of them are good. Let us know how it goes.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:08 AM
Freshman4life05
1st Gear Member

The fact that there have been #8 failures will more than likely keep me from ever getting a tuner... I know the chances are slim, but just my luck I would be one of the unlucky few and seeing how my mustang is my DD I can't afford to be without her...

To the OP as for CAI you won't see 10-15 hp gains by itself... It does change the sound when you get on it and you can feel a difference IMO especially in the higher rpms. I got mine for pretty cheap and that is the only reason I did it

Quick Reply: Advice on CAI