Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-20-2015, 10:34 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior
Print Wikipost

Plasti dip my rims???

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 03:26 AM
kput
4th Gear Member

I have my wheels plastidipped.
sure people think it's "ricer", but most of those people who say that are the ones that can afford to drop a grand on new wheels, or 400 bucks on powdercoating.

I have my wheels, faux gas cap, and 4.0 emblems...
as well as my entire front chin spoiler, and rear spoiler.

The brake dust DOES come off, you just have to keep it clean..if you let it go too long without washing, it can be "absorbed" and start to look like crap.

Nice part is that it does peel off, and is cheap.

Someday I'll have my wheels powdercoated, but til then plastidip works wonders.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:50 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

I know a guy who is a high performance driving instructor. A few weeks ago he was riding with a student at Virginia International Raceway (VIR). As the laps went buy a strange mechanical vibration grew louder and more prevalent so he had his student pull into the pits. They got out and walked around the car and discovered that several lug nuts were lose and starting to back out. It turns out the guy had plastidipped his wheels recently. The high heat from repeated stops on the track had melted the plastidip around the lug nuts, allowing them to loosen.

Yikes!
Old 06-13-2012, 03:59 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Argonaut
I know a guy who is a high performance driving instructor. A few weeks ago he was riding with a student at Virginia International Raceway (VIR). As the laps went buy a strange mechanical vibration grew louder and more prevalent so he had his student pull into the pits. They got out and walked around the car and discovered that several lug nuts were lose and starting to back out. It turns out the guy had plastidipped his wheels recently. The high heat from repeated stops on the track had melted the plastidip around the lug nuts, allowing them to loosen.

Yikes!
Same roommate has gone through that same problem with two cars now. Between cheap spray paint or plasti dip you end up with a relatively soft top layer on the wheels. He's had to torque them down many times and that's just normal street driving, not the track. Another reason not to do that.

And powder coating shouldn't be $400 for four wheels, more like $200-$300. But it does add up by the time you un-mount then remount and balance the tires, could be $400 in the end I guess. I have some hookups there

I will say that if you want to blackout some emblems then plasti dip isn't bad. It's really just on the wheels that it looks bad to me over time.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:57 PM
SchneidyP4.6
2nd Gear Member

Keep in mind plasti-dip has been popularized by the same group of retards that camber their wheels sideways and put on tires that are way too small for their rims because it looks "dope."
You must be a former VWVortex member!
Old 06-14-2012, 10:13 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

Here's a reason right here not to plasti dip your rims. These started black and looked ok day one. Now it's been a couple of months. You can't even really try and clean out the brake dust, you'll just wipe off the plasti dip.

Attached Thumbnails Plasti dip my rims???-photo.jpg  
Old 06-15-2012, 08:54 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

sounds like this is a good thing for short term use....but the above picture definitely shows that it doens't hold up...
Old 06-15-2012, 02:18 PM
Hinojosa
2nd Gear Member

if you wash them regularly they keep a good color, my rims are hadnwashed every other day and they still look like they did day one and i is my DD car
Old 06-15-2012, 02:44 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hinojosa
if you wash them regularly they keep a good color, my rims are hadnwashed every other day and they still look like they did day one and i is my DD car
Every other day? Seriously? Who has time to do that? Especially when you plasti-dipped it in the first place? If you have that kind of time I guess, but I would rather drive my car than detail it every other day...

Don
Old 06-15-2012, 04:44 PM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hinojosa
I think you should mention that day one was just like last week, if I'm not mistaken. You have to give it some time.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:44 PM
kput
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by candymanjl
Here's a reason right here not to plasti dip your rims. These started black and looked ok day one. Now it's been a couple of months. You can't even really try and clean out the brake dust, you'll just wipe off the plasti dip.

That's extended periods of not washing...

I just sprayed mine down once a week or so with some Turtle wax ICE and wiped them off...still looks good as new. Reasons those look like crap is called NEGLECT.
Difference between any clean and dirty car.

Quick Reply: Plasti dip my rims???