Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Redoing My Interior!!

Old 06-12-2012, 06:35 PM
Stuart McWilliams
2nd Gear Member

Default Redoing My Interior!!

So I decided that my tan interior wasn't sporty enough and felt too "family-carish". I felt like I was driving around in my dad's Focus. I decided to paint the dash, door panels, and seats. I used Rustoleum's black spray paint for plastic and their flat black spray paint meant for fabric/vinyl. I'm not completely finished yet but I have enough for you to get the idea. I just need to finish painting the driver seat and get both of the seats back in. It took a little under three cans for the dash and is about four cans per seat. Each can costs about 7.50. My biggest obstacle was the age requirement for spray paint in Nebraska. It took going to six different stores looking for more paint! I went ahead and attached a photo of the stock tan for reference. My interior has a bunch of marks and scratches that the black covers right up. Well, here's some pics:

Old 06-12-2012, 06:51 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

I like the tan. Aren't the painted seats gonna rub off on your clothes? I have painted interior panels using SEM vinyl paint and it is very durable.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:58 PM
Stuart McWilliams
2nd Gear Member

The tan in that picture looks very nice, but mine had marks and bruises all over it. As for the seats, I used paint specific for cloth and the paint is completely dry now. I wish I would have chosen a different brand though because the seats came out quite rough.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:56 PM
vbstang13
3rd Gear Member

Looks a bit streaky and spotty on the dash and doors and I don't know what to say about painting the seats.

I actually like the tan interior; but you did not so congrats, you made your interior look just like 90% of the Mustangs out there. Only cheaper and not as good.

Post some more pics when you get it put back together, might look better when it is complete.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:01 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Wow, tell him what you really thing, VB. Lol

It looks okay, the only thing I see is how shinny the doors are. If you end up not liking the paint, hit me up I've got a lot of black interior pieces for sale.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:13 PM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

I think it's a huge improvement! Black interior is way better than tan. And painting the seats seems kinda funny to me, I would have just gone ahead and bought some leather take offs.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:42 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Hmmmmm........I would have mixed it a bit more leaving some tan.......

Looks like a second coat might be needed to even it out.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:53 PM
kput
4th Gear Member

you painted your seats?....
Old 06-12-2012, 10:18 PM
xkape
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kput
you painted your seats?....

I was kinda like wtf on that one too but, he said it was cloth specific paint so what the hell right. If its a failure and he needs to get new seat covers at least he's only out a few bucks. If it works he saved a boatload of cash.

I painted my dash on a car I used to have. It looked awesome but, it reflected like crazy onto the front windshield. I couldn't see much.

2nd coat it all and show some completed pics.. I think it will turn out nice.. good job on at least having the ***** to give it a go.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:31 PM
Stuart McWilliams
2nd Gear Member

I noticed it looks kind of spotty and streaky in the pictures but it doesn't look that way. Maybe it's just the reflections?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Redoing My Interior!!