Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Here, Big Plans, Donno Wut Im Doing, Help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 11:20 PM
Cburnett92

Default New Here, Big Plans, Donno Wut Im Doing, Help?

I recently got into cars a few months ago when I got my 2010 Premium V6 Mustang as a gift, since then I have experienced the addiction of customizing your car, I know what I want to do with the car everywhere except when it comes to performance. I want to be able to keep up with the 5.0s, I know it would be cheaper to trade it in for another but that is not an option. I dont know much about whats under the hood but I was hoping you guys could go over my list of things I would like to do to it and feel free to modify it, ty .

Already have
-custom duel exhaust with xpipe, catbacks and magnaflows
-custom CAI

Wish List
-shorty headers/full length
-new drivetrain? (I read on here that the stock V6 drivetrain can explode if you go to fast)
-new cam
-new crankshaft
-tuner (bhama or diablo?)
-supercharger (or a turbo if its better? and maybe add a second turbo on eventually if my engine can handle it)

feel free to modify, anywhere I can get some get prices on some of these, ty for the help.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:34 PM
xkape
4th Gear Member

1st post and you are talking about blowing your car... NICE! Honestly, I would reply with more but its Friday night and.. you know.. 12"30am.. not the best role model right now..lol

Some one will get you squared away. If not, my morning looks good..lol
Old 06-15-2012, 11:35 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Welcome to the mustang world............now open that wallet!! LOL

Not an option why? Seriously you have to think long term here. If you really have the performance bug you have to consider trading that v6 for a v8. I say this cause you prolly will never get it to where you want it and it will cost a sh*t ton of money. All that outlay of cash will translate to nada when you go to sell it. But you can modify your car to be quite fast and run into the 12's at the quarter mile track but its gonna cost you. Your best bet is to make a long term mod list with the cost associated with them. Can you install stuff? You will save big money if you can. Dont waste your money on mods now that you will have to remove later to add bigger performance items. Again this is long term thinking. Reading old threads will really educate you on what works and what is a waste of cash. Sure you can ask questions but nobody can say whats better ie supercharger vs turbo. Its whats better for what you want to do.
Because I have a GT I am not gonna say where you should start. I will let the others in the know chime in. Good luck and warm up that credit card cause its about to take a beating! LOL
Old 06-15-2012, 11:36 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by xkape
1st post and you are talking about blowing your car... NICE! Honestly, I would reply with more but its Friday night and.. you know.. 12"30am.. not the best role model right now..lol

Not a good role mode....LOL...........I'm enjoying Rolling Rock tonight xkape. What about you?
Old 06-15-2012, 11:41 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Your drivetrain isn't going to explode, its the 'driveshaft' on the 2011+ 3.7 Mustangs and only when they remove their stock limiter.

I would go with the CAI/Tuner combo, members on here really seem to enjoy that mod, especially if you have an auto.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:44 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by xkape

Word lol.

You're going to need a lot of $$$ if you want to keep up with the 5.0's. It takes a supercharger/turbo on the 4.6 GT to keep up with them on the freeway. Your 4.0 will probably need to be built and turbo'd.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:45 PM
Cburnett92

Im making a long term list, I have extra money that I just want to throw into my car, and yes at the very end of the list, way down the road, I just want to buy a Shelby and go from there, but atm I am driving my V6 and I have extra cash to throw parts into it, I dont know how to install any performance parts (I can do all of my vehicles looks and electronics but not when it comes to the engine, I dont want to mess around with anything I am not 99% sure I can do)
Old 06-15-2012, 11:47 PM
Roush05
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
Not a good role mode....LOL...........I'm enjoying Rolling Rock tonight xkape. What about you?
Wild Blue for me.

Edit: to the OP, to be as fast as a stock 5.0, you're probably looking at 7k at least. It may be cheaper to trade for a 5.0 if you can do that.

Last edited by Roush05; 06-15-2012 at 11:53 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:04 AM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

I honestly think keeping up with a 5.0 would be a task better suited for the 3.7 V6, not the 4.0. I'm not saying it can't be done, it's just that you have to do so much to the 4.0 to get there. If you have the funds to get it done, then go for it. If you don't, I would just focus on giving it decent speed and some good looks.

Last edited by Antonio323; 06-16-2012 at 12:50 AM.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:12 AM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Antonio323
I honestly think keeping up with a 5.0 would be a task better suited for the 3.7 V6, not the 4.0. I'm not saying it can't be done, it's just that you have to do so much to the 4.0 to get there. If you have to funds to get it done, then go for it. If you don't, I would just focus on giving it decent speed and some good looks.
That statement needs to be seen! If there is one thing I've learned over the years of modding, it's that there is always something newer and faster. After I learned that, I stopped stressing over go-fast mods. Huge money saver. Mod things you get to use all the time. . like the interior and sound system.. and of course visual mods.

Unless you have plenty of money. . then disregard previous statement.

Quick Reply: New Here, Big Plans, Donno Wut Im Doing, Help?