Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's been a great 5 years

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 09:02 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Default It's been a great 5 years

and she's still going strong!

5 weeks from today, I'll have my little 4.0 for 5 years. I haven't been hell on her, but I sure haven't made it easy. 2 front end collisions, one tap from the rear, 70,000 miles, countless road trips and over 7k in mods, and my little 6er is still running strong (knock on wood).

In all of those miles, I've only had two issues: 1) going to a barn party, there was a helluva hill from the road to the main drive/field. One day I knocked the grounding wire out of contact which caused my car to short and had to tow it the next day. Repair took 10 minutes. 2) This year, I blew 3 fuses while changing out my radio for a pioneer unit. 4 frustrating hours later grasping at strings while using limited electrical knowledge, I got her back to normal after realizing I forgot to reconnect my electrical harness in the passenger foot-well (wow).

If there's one thing I've got to say, this has been my second Ford and I've put all but 60 miles on her with two very minor issues. My dad's a Ford man and I know that I now am too, without a doubt in my mind.

So how long have you had your ride? Have you ever had a hand in any stupid minor "breakdowns"? Let's not be shy here, I have one performance car fanatic who thought he would need a tow only to realize 20 minutes later that he forgot to reconnect his battery!
Old 06-18-2012, 09:41 PM
BlackGT45th
2nd Gear Member

5 years wow! Pre-congrats on that! My father is a Ford man as well. I can't say I am just a Ford fan, I still have an affection for Trans Ams .
Old 06-18-2012, 09:42 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Had it for 2 1/2 yrs and she has made me a huge Ford and Mustang fan. I've learned a lot about this car and cars in general just because I decided to get this car instead of the Mazda 3 that was sitting beside it on the lot. I've also spent WAY too much money on the damn thing with no end in sight. Lol

But I wouldn't change any of it.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:42 PM
JimC

I just sold mine after 6 years and 2.5 months --- and 203,000 miles. Two years with a 75 shot of nitrous, and then at 90,000 miles pulled the nitrous and put the Xcharger on it.

No real problems. Blew a head gasket but that was while it was still under warranty.

Had to replace the water pump at 150,000 miles, alternator at 189,000, and the thermostat housing gave way at 199,881 miles. Did the front axle bearings at 190,000 and the ball joint/a-arms and tie rods at that time too. Got a deal on the A-arms and tie rods when I was able to grab them from a guy who was upgrading his Saleen with only 10,000 miles on it. Got the A-arms and the entire steering rack for under $200 so was easy to do the tie rods by simply replacing the entire rack.

Broke the original 7.5" rear end at the track. CAI, tune, and drag radials was too much for it - despite the allegedly indestructible Richmond 3.73 gears, tlok, and LPW girdle.

Had to repair the heat exchanger for the Xcharger when a stone made it through the lower grill and punctured it.

The 2013 MCA Edition race red convertible was to be built today with expected delivery at the end of the week.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:45 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Mine has been in the family since February 2006 but it was built in November 2004.

67k miles
Old 06-18-2012, 10:00 PM
kput
4th Gear Member

I've had mine a Year next month..

20,000 miles on the odo since then,
new brakes, couple oil changes. Dent pounded out of the back. Busted rim. New dent in the door.
And lots of money on mods.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:08 PM
CincyGT2009
2nd Gear Member

I'm at 3 years and just a hair shy or 50,000 miles and this car has been impressively reliable!
Old 06-18-2012, 10:09 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
I just sold mine after 6 years and 2.5 months --- and 203,000 miles. Two years with a 75 shot of nitrous, and then at 90,000 miles pulled the nitrous and put the Xcharger on it.

No real problems. Blew a head gasket but that was while it was still under warranty.

Had to replace the water pump at 150,000 miles, alternator at 189,000, and the thermostat housing gave way at 199,881 miles. Did the front axle bearings at 190,000 and the ball joint/a-arms and tie rods at that time too. Got a deal on the A-arms and tie rods when I was able to grab them from a guy who was upgrading his Saleen with only 10,000 miles on it. Got the A-arms and the entire steering rack for under $200 so was easy to do the tie rods by simply replacing the entire rack.

Broke the original 7.5" rear end at the track. CAI, tune, and drag radials was too much for it - despite the allegedly indestructible Richmond 3.73 gears, tlok, and LPW girdle.

Had to repair the heat exchanger for the Xcharger when a stone made it through the lower grill and punctured it.

The 2013 MCA Edition race red convertible was to be built today with expected delivery at the end of the week.
A helluva track record, Jim. Congrats on the '13! Looking forward to the pics!

Tanner, I know what you mean, I liked my '98 Ford Ranger but I would never have got into cars if I didn't have the mustang! It's worth the constant building up and draining of the checking account haha.

Kput, you've put 20k in one year? Where do you drive every day? haha. We've all had dents and dings, some might say it ads a little character
Old 06-18-2012, 10:49 PM
xkape
4th Gear Member

On Mustang number 3. Had a 00 GT vert, an 04 GT vert and now an 07 Roush Stage 3 vert. Yes, I enjoy being able to see the sky..lol. My uncle worked at Ford for 30+ years as did my neighbors wifes dad. They both have Fords as well (saw that one coming right?) I am currently working up the funds to sell the POS DD 2000 Honda Accord and get myself a Focus as the DD and winter car. I hide the car in shame at my moms house in Cincinnati. Don't want it littering up my driveway. Mom and her husband also drive Fords. As does my other Aunt and her husband.
If you are staying American (which I will til I die) is there a better way to go? No, there isn't.

I love my car almost to the "it's like a museum" point. Would never dream of owning anything else. Of all the Fords I just mentioned, only my mom has had an issue. Her tranny went out which, kinda irked me cause it was only at 42k miles.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:05 AM
JThor
2nd Gear Member

I got mine one year ago last month. Have 15k mi, without any problems. The only thing has been a rattle in the dash which I will try to get fixed under warranty at the next oil change.

Before that, I had a 2003 Ford Escape. 160k mi with virtually no problems. Just normal maintenance. I gave the car to my son. He had the first problem with it. The alternator went out today.

I bought my daughter a 2003 Focus new. Generally reliable, but the spark plug wires have been a problem. Have to replace them about every two years.

So, Ford has generally been good to me. I will continue to buy Ford products.

Quick Reply: It's been a great 5 years