Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

accident.. need advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 08:02 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Body shops aren't full of magicians. Any repair of that magnitude will require a bit of filler to make it smooth and straight. Replacing that panel is not an option, but the bumper will be replaced.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:13 PM
CincyGT2009
2nd Gear Member

^Not sure why you say that replacing the quarter is not an option. It was replaced on my car (even with far less damage) and I have provided the documentation from FMC to back up that it can and should be done.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:35 PM
xkape
4th Gear Member

Did your car have bondo all over it before your wreck? Nope.. did you cause the wreck and jack your car up? no.. Do you have to "just deal" with the cheapest POS way to fix it? NO.. HELL NO!!! The quarter needs replaced. Make them replace it or find a lawyer. I could not and would not accept it and if I were to have a car with bondo BS I also, could not, or would not accept it. Fix it or kill it I would tell the insurance Co.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:23 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Perhaps I should rephrase. The structure of that panel makes it such that it is not a simple unbolt and replace panel. There will be cutting, matching and *gasp* filler to bring it all together.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:32 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

Since this wasn't your fault and the other person's insurance is fixing it, I'd insist the car be repaired the best way...not the cheapest.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:31 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

I had a similar incident (within 3 weeks of purchasing my car), however my right rear fender was not as bad as yours. The dealership replaced with a new fender and matched the paint. The person that hit me, paid cash for the repairs, so no need to go through insurances. =-)
Old 06-21-2012, 10:43 AM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

If it wasn't like that before, it 'should' be replaced completely and insurance *will* cover that. That is what insurance is for - full repairs, not fillings...

What you decide to do with the repair money, is your business. However it is the insurance company's 'business' to get your car back the way it was 100%, and not with 'filler'. If they offer anything else - check your small print and get a lawyer.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:48 AM
xkape
4th Gear Member

Diabolical.. if Ford can put it on there, someone can take it off. Without cutting, filling and whatever else they stick in there.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:03 AM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

I had an accident that ended with similar results a few years ago. Costed my insurance company over $10k to repair... don't know why they are only quoting you $3k. They had to cut out the quarter panel and put in a new one, along with fender, bumpers, lights, repair the door, etc. I was lucky there was no mechanical damage.

Make sure it's done right because your car is going to be sliced and diced. I know your pain, it was pretty depressing. The body shop was a PITA to work with though their work has held up so far.

Last edited by alkemist; 06-21-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:44 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by alkemist
I had an accident that ended with similar results a few years ago. Costed my insurance company over $10k to repair... don't know why they are only quoting you $3k. They had to cut out the quarter panel and put in a new one, along with fender, bumpers, lights, repair the door, etc. I was lucky there was no mechanical damage.

Make sure it's done right because your car is going to be sliced and diced. I know your pain, it was pretty depressing. The body shop was a PITA to work with though their work has held up so far.

Thanks for posting that pic. Can everyone see how the panel must be cut out? There is NO WAY to complete this repair without using filler where the old and new material meet up. If you want absolutely no filler, your only option is a new car...

Quick Reply: accident.. need advice