Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 GT with 65k miles starting to fall apart..

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 09:08 AM
Fort LiquordaleGT
2nd Gear Member

Default 06 GT with 65k miles starting to fall apart..

Door panels came off
Mirror pealed
Door handles peeled
Hood is going to rust bubbles already
One fog light is slightly loose
The front drivers seat plastic piece where the switches are broke, one of the clips snapped
Air switch for the seat broke
Pass side seat latch handle broke
Trunk light broke, what a stupid design!!!!
Last week car flooded due to Fords stupid design with the cabin air filter
Yesterday the shifter ball literally came apart, the top came off and it fell apart
Radio buttons paint have peeled

I only buy American, this is my 2nd Mustang and my immediate families 8th mustang. (see below) But they ALL have the same issue, the interior eventually falls to pieces around the drive train. I have 3 payments left, I'm starting to get ticked off. MY GFs scion similar miles/year looks brand new compared to my car.. We don't have kids, I don't beat on it, and 98% of the time I"m the only one in the car and no one has ever driven my car except my mom one time. (Few know how to drive stick these days thus no one can drive my car which is just sad but that's another topic)

91GT
94 Saleen
90 Saleen
69 Fast Back
89 GT
95 GT
06 GT
91 LX 5.0 Convert
Old 06-29-2012, 09:18 AM
Menace
5th Gear Member

I hear ya man. I've always taken good care of my car but these were built ****ty right from the factory. Just started up today and got the P0340 code, a quick google and it appears to be another pretty common problem. Along with the passenger water leak, AC motor switches, etc, etc, etc...
Old 06-29-2012, 09:30 AM
Fort LiquordaleGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Menace
I hear ya man. I've always taken good care of my car but these were built ****ty right from the factory. Just started up today and got the P0340 code, a quick google and it appears to be another pretty common problem. Along with the passenger water leak, AC motor switches, etc, etc, etc...
I told my GF that her Scion will be the last foreign car in our driveway that we own.. She owned it before I met her. But I just have a gut feeling I'll have to change my stance as her car will far out last mine... I' confident the engine in my stang will run 150k but I may be driving a shell of a car at that time.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:34 AM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

When I traded in my 2005 GT, she only have about 40k miles on her. My interior was as new when I traded her in as when I got her with only 5,800 miles on her. My shaker headunit did have the same peeling problem, but it was only one button and not that bad. The latch on the back of the passenger seat did break, but it was replaced by some billet handles from UPR. As far as paint, she looked good (save for the few rock chips that were filled with touch-up).

Sorry you've had such a hard time, but not sure why our experiences were so different. Maybe the suppliers cheaped out between the 05-06 model year.

Don
Old 06-29-2012, 10:22 AM
Jas5
3rd Gear Member

Sorry to hear.. are you second owner, maybe it was poorly taken care of?
My 2007 had 80k miles when I got it end of last year, had been garaged (only a couple small scratches, no dings/dents), but obviously been raced due to 10" rear wheels, short throw, blower, and cherry bomb dump before rear axle. However, it's still in excellent condition.. the interior is flawless. Only gripe is that the cloth seats offer no support for my back and have to slouch when driving. I need to strap something there for support
Old 06-29-2012, 10:40 AM
Fort LiquordaleGT
2nd Gear Member

First owner, bought it with 150 miles on it...
Old 06-29-2012, 10:58 AM
illini4
1st Gear Member

I've lots of issues with my 07 GT Convertable too. Ring gear and pinion howling (replaced twice), radio button wear, all four brake light bulbs replaced (one at a time), convertable top tension cables replaced (rattle), and this weekend I'll be replacing the lower control arms (rear) due to squeeking. I did the repairs myself, except for the ring gear and pinion (warranty). Regardless, it's still my all time favorite car.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:42 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I have the peeled mirror and hood rust bubbles when I bought mine with only 15k miles in 2009. Otherwise, it's awesome.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:42 PM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

This is my second Mustang. My '02 was in very good shape when I traded it in with 75K miles. (Owned between 60K-75K miles, had it for about three years)

My 06 is sitting just barely above 40K, I bought it with 20K on it back in 2008. I've had no issues with it either. My only complaint on the interior is the fuse panel door won't stay on (Never has, it's lived in the trunk for a year now).

I can't explain why some have good luck with these cars, and some have really bad luck...
Old 06-29-2012, 01:47 PM
Fort LiquordaleGT
2nd Gear Member

I should say I live in Florida and since Ford glues these cars together the glue dries. The door panels, shifter **** and mirror are all glued together...

However I just ordered the seat tilt latch and I was chatting with the guy from UDP. From what he tells me, the basic design of using plastic has not changed in 8 years thus a new mustang owner will eventually have that part break.. Ford wants similar money as the aluminum ones. C'mon Ford! Shameful. Is the seat tilt lever the new center console latch from the fox body years?

I did find a new Ford OEM shifter **** on ebay for 22 bucks, so I'm happy with it. I paid 51 for the black aluminum seat tilt latches.. I would never put chrome anything in my car so I was forced to pay a higher price.

Quick Reply: 06 GT with 65k miles starting to fall apart..