Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stone chips on front of stang

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 04:49 PM
bahbahblacksheep
2nd Gear Member

Default Stone chips on front of stang

I've been getting a zillion stone chips on the front of my car, particularly on the passenger side front panel, right beside the front headlight. Its disgusting.

Are any of you getting a ton of stone chips also?
Old 09-22-2005, 05:01 PM
Kiss Fan
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Stone chips on front of stang

Join the crowd. I've noticed a few and I've touched them up with the Ford touch up paint. One thing to keep in mind...I'm not a great "artist", so when I'm painting using a drop here or a drop there it doesn't look great at first, but once it dries it settles pretty well. I don't know what else to do. I have them also on my '04, but mostly on the hood and I guess I could put a shield above the front grill to alleviate the problem.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:35 PM
bahbahblacksheep
2nd Gear Member

I just picked up some touch up paint...does it work well? I would hate to have blobs of paint all over the place
Old 09-22-2005, 05:57 PM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

You should invest $100 in a bra or $3-500 on the 3M Clear Bra. You may not like the look of a bra, but what do you dislike worse [&:]

The other thing you need to be **** about is bugs. If you don't wash them off frequently their acid content will eat into the paint on the plastic and leave a spot similar to a rock chip.

Old 09-22-2005, 06:35 PM
BigSkyLLC
1st Gear Member

Anyone use the clear bra's? I've seen them on other cars and they seem to work well. Looks like you could install your self with a lot of patience. Any opinions?
Old 09-22-2005, 09:04 PM
bahbahblacksheep
2nd Gear Member

Ya, i've seen the 3m clear bras also...I might have to invest in one...but the cost ARRRRGH. I'd rather put that money into performance mods [:@]
Old 09-22-2005, 10:42 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

I've been practicing a much longer follow distance. Never a "tail-gater", but, now increasing following distance. The one ding I have on the bumper, saw it coming, I was chasing motorcycles in the mountains. I'm staying WAY BACK from cycles.

I use Meguiar's "Quick Detailer" on the front bumper after almost every drive to clean up bugs.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:53 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

be sure to keep alert when following trucks, especially 18 wheelers filled with dirt and trash trucks.
In the city we don't have to worry too much about bugs but I know out in the country they can be quite a nuisance. Sometimes the big black ones come at you so quickly that you feel like ducking under the dash for fear they'll break the glass windshield!
I once got the worst thing in the world on my windshield! I was trying to follow a new Mustang GT and this jerk cuts me off and then runs right over a recently killed squirrel or something. A piece of it flew up and land SMACK, right on my windshield! It was horrible! Raw flesh and fur! and the windsheied wipers couldn't get to it! Almost threw up when i pulled into a gas station to knock it off with their squeegie!
Old 09-23-2005, 03:53 PM
Robs05gtvert
2nd Gear Member

I have the 3M Clear-Bra on my car. I wish I had it done before I drove her the first time....it is pricey but I know it's saving my front end from the Jersey Turnpike. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO INSTALL YOURSELF!!!..... The installer came to my house to do it and he was there for 6 hours. They couldn't pay me enough to do his job All total it cost me around $800.00. Worthy investment in my opinion. If I can help anyway let me know.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:57 PM
torch red
4th Gear Member

3m-does it cover the entire front of the car, how long days it last, can u remove it?

Quick Reply: Stone chips on front of stang