Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loaded V-6 or base GT for 1st Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 04:12 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

You can upgrade the bells and whistles later and much cheaper than regretting not getting the V8. I guarentee once you put some mufflers on that V8, you won't care about the other things as much.

Grumbling V8's sound better than bells and whistles

Also, the cloth recaro's are still very nice, I would get those
Old 07-05-2012, 04:17 PM
ninefooter
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by danman0469
Why anyone would buy a mustang without a V8 boggles my mind.
Because people like the way they look? Because they are still faster than your average car? Because a lot of options equal a car that fits you where a lot of other cars don't have those options? Because that kind of speed even in a v6 at 305hp still gets 31+ mpg? Because the 2013 v6 has the same HP as a 2010 GT?

Your mind must boggle easily. Maybe it's just all the heat in GA right now.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:21 PM
Jas5
3rd Gear Member

Bells and whistles? Meh, i'd much rather have the bigger motor and more power.

Only guy who voted v6 mentions not justifying the GT because he never went to the track. I guess you just drive conservatively or never get on it, cause I live in a smaller town and get on it at least once per day, especially onto the highway. Nothing beats the feeling of 400+ crank hp pushing you back in your seat. Although the newer 3.7L does have nice power, the GT would be more fun to drive. And like people have said, a big part of it is the v8 sound/rumble.. nothing beats it. I don't think a base 2013 can't be all that bad in terms of comforts... my 07 is a base..

Also didn't seem like you care much about gas mileage... I think those who get the v6 care more about gas mileage, entry price, and less about going WOT.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:23 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Base GT, no question. You can get creative and add bells and whistles yourself later, if you like.

Don't let yourself get chalked up as yet another "Shoulda got a v8!"
Old 07-05-2012, 04:26 PM
2007bluestang
4th Gear Member

Some people can only afford a v6. I want to trade ftom my 07 to a 13 v6. Id love to have the 5.0 but can't afford it or the insurance. Maybe thats why some people buy a 6 because they can't afford an 8
Old 07-05-2012, 04:31 PM
ninefooter
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2007bluestang
Some people can only afford a v6. I want to trade ftom my 07 to a 13 v6. Id love to have the 5.0 but can't afford it or the insurance. Maybe thats why some people buy a 6 because they can't afford an 8
You people with 07's, 06's, and sh*t talk about power when the 2013 v6 has more power than those years anyway. And even more stupidity shown here in the fact his fully loaded v6 with all bells, whistles, and track pack costs more than base GT anyway yet you talk about being cheaper than the GT?

I'm beginning to think people with 2005-09s v8's are pretty fckn stupid since they are unaware of the differences. It's quite laughable. Do you all just not read or what? His track pack V6 would blow your 07 GT's away.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:38 PM
Jas5
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ninefooter
You people with 07's, 06's, and sh*t talk about power when the 2013 v6 has more power than those years anyway. And even more stupidity shown here in the fact his fully loaded v6 with all bells, whistles, and track pack costs more than base GT anyway yet you talk about being cheaper than the GT?

I'm beginning to think people with 2005-09s v8's are pretty fckn stupid since they are unaware of the differences. It's quite laughable. Do you all just not read or what? His track pack V6 would blow your 07 GT's away.
Chill out man.
We all know it's normal for cars to get better over time, and the new 3.7L and 5.0L both jumped +100hp from previous motors, which is amazing.
I knew this would turn into a v6 vs v8 war, as usual, and I don't knock on the sixxer's but it sometimes baffles me why some get the v6 only to dump money into it when they would have been better off with an 8 (there are many reasons for this, though, such as not having the money initially).

I want performance so when I was looking for stangs I only wanted an 8, I could've gotten a very clean 07-09 sixxer with very low miles for $12k last year. I spent a 2k more and got this blown GT, sort of got lucky too though.

Even though the 05-09 GT has same HP as new v6, the 4.6L has 320 ft lbs torque while the new 3.7L has 280 lbs. Not a huge difference but you can definitely feel more torque out of the v8.
Then yes, one can say just throw a CAI/tune at the v6 and have it be the same as the v8, but then throw a CAI/tune at the v8 and what happens? Yeah it just keeps going on
Old 07-05-2012, 04:40 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

I say get the GT and customize the 'bells and whistles' you'd like, later on, when money allows.

you can't very easily slap on gobs of power and torque, but you can change out a lot of the little things fairly easily.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:47 PM
2007bluestang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ninefooter

I have an 07v6 so Idk if that was towards me or what. I cant afford a loaded 6 or base 5.0 or indurancr for the 5.0. Im gonna buy take off leathers amd thats premium enough for me. Sorry abouy typos im on mu phone with a messed up keypaf

Edit. Plus the base v6 is a good bit less than the base gt. That's what I meant I'm in college I can't work enough to pay a car note and 5.0 insurance. I'm taking what I can get and the 3.7s are bad do ill be happy

Last edited by 2007bluestang; 07-05-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:54 PM
Clark@AutoAnything
Former Sponsor

If you want to have a DD w/ good gas mileage but all the comforts, go V6. If you want a car that goes fast and you don't care about the gas mileage go GT. Its so much fun, but you'll soon have the itch to mod it. i had about $2k (labor included) sunk into my car before i even had possession of it, something i never did with the V6.[/QUOTE]

well said- mods are coming either way lol

Quick Reply: Loaded V-6 or base GT for 1st Mustang?