Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loaded V-6 or base GT for 1st Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 03:06 PM
briankeene

Default Loaded V-6 or base GT for 1st Mustang?

I'm looking to order a new mustang after the 1st of the year. I'm 46 and on the tail end of raising kids, last 4 in high school. I checked out the Challenger, Camaro and the Mustang. The Mustang won!
I get the x-plan through work, work for the railroad. With the x-plan and incentives I can get a 2013 for around 26-27K, thats with $1500- 3000 cash incentives that I'm thinking should be offered in Feb or March. Then I will order want I want.
My choices-
Base 2013 GT with 3.73

Premium V6
V6 performance package
mustang club package
leather recaros

I would go with the 6 speed manual in either. I drove both(the V6 was an automatic) and the GT was awesome for the power and would be a fun DD car! The V6 had some pep with the 305 HP and I thing the performance pack and the stick would make it a pretty quick ride. The V6 would be sweet with the bells and whistles, the GT would be fine with the standard features and fast!
So about the same price for a daily driver. Bells and whistles or 420 HP? I also like the Gotta Have It Green, my wife thinks its girly. It looks awesome in person, the pics don't do the color justice.
Any input would be appreciated.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:27 PM
JustAn0therNumb3r

I'm a bit biased since I own a 12 GT, but I would say go for the base GT w/ 3.73. I have never driven the v6s and they're definitely no slouch, but it just wouldn't be my choice.

Get the base 13 GT then later on buy after market bucket seats or throw down the cash for the leather recaros. You can always update the suspension and stuff later as well.

Like I said, just my opinion...
Old 07-05-2012, 03:30 PM
JustAn0therNumb3r

Oh, the one thing I forgot to mention is that with the base 13, I do not believe you'll have the track apps. Just something to think about as well...
Old 07-05-2012, 03:33 PM
ninefooter
1st Gear Member

I went with the loaded v6.. I couldn't have a base gt. I would've had to have all the options in a GT, and couldn't justify spending 8 grand more on a faster car with worse gas mileage that I wouldn't track. It'd be like those people with off-road four wheel drives that never ever ever never see off-road in their life.

Now.. that being said, I'm kinda getting the track bug since I've never done that and think it could be fun so who knows maybe in 2014 if they have the same body style + IRS I'll trade in for a loaded GT and try that route.

Ultimately my decision is based on tracking it or not and I would never buy a base car. I love sync, the heated power seats, heated mirrors, etc. etc. Either way whichever you choose I'm sure you'll love it.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:40 PM
briankeene

I was considering the cloth recaros for the GT, would be a $1440 option.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:49 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Go fast or creature comforts....what puts the smile on your face...

I prefer the GT....plus there is no sound like a V8.

Also....with Fords past timing on model year vs calender year.....will you be able to order a '13 in Jan. of 2013....with the new model changes coming up next things might shut down early......
Old 07-05-2012, 04:03 PM
theczar
2nd Gear Member

I've had both. Bought a loaded V6 when i was 21 because i couldn't afford the insurance on the GT. It was a year-round DD (only car) thru all sorts of weather, even deep snow. I now have a 2013 GT w/ the track package (in GHI Green! not girly at all btw) which is my nice weather car.
If you want to have a DD w/ good gas mileage but all the comforts, go V6. If you want a car that goes fast and you don't care about the gas mileage go GT. Its so much fun, but you'll soon have the itch to mod it. i had about $2k (labor included) sunk into my car before i even had possession of it, something i never did with the V6.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:08 PM
danman0469
2nd Gear Member

Why anyone would buy a mustang without a V8 boggles my mind.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:11 PM
MoshpitMad
3rd Gear Member

GT. Easy
Old 07-05-2012, 04:12 PM
Jay_C123
2nd Gear Member

I say go with the GT. I got the base GT and dont regret it one bit!! I dont mind not having the track pack or leather seats or any other bells and whistles the fully loaded GT has. Plus your going for the 3.73 gears mmmmmmm mmm!! nice!! and with the V8 rumble?!?! thats the way to go!! U can always get the cloth recaros. definitely on my list.

Quick Reply: Loaded V-6 or base GT for 1st Mustang?