Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans Whine Normal? Video Inside

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 06:07 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by HxCGuitars
The more I think about it the more I think it's completely normal. I've definitely had it since I bought the car, too. It's already been apart, I'm sure the trans shop would've said something if anything was screwed beyond belief.

I used a GoPro 960. I love it! I just bought it for $125 as where I work had them on sale and I used my discount to drop the price even lower. The raw video also looks a lot better cuz youtube kinda sucks the quality out of it, so don't be mislead.

I just tested out my suction cup mount too, it's great!
yeah man the quality is pretty nice, im gonna have to pick me up one!
Old 07-12-2012, 01:07 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Our 06 never had that whine.
Not anything like it.

It may be normal or not. If you love your baby it wont hurt to bring it in to the Ford house and let them take a look at it. Better safe than sorry no matter WHAT.

I am not trying to scare you or say it's anything but I NEVER heard that whine in our 06. Nor my two friend's 08s. Again it could be nothing but why take the chance?
And remember most people on this forum are not mechanics though some are. Some have real exp. working on cars and some have little or none.

ALWAYS ALWAYS better safe than sorry.
And besides... if it bothers you and is nothing major that could hurt it BUT can be fixed...
Why not get it fixed?
Old 07-13-2012, 12:17 AM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
Our 06 never had that whine.
Not anything like it.

It may be normal or not. If you love your baby it wont hurt to bring it in to the Ford house and let them take a look at it. Better safe than sorry no matter WHAT.

I am not trying to scare you or say it's anything but I NEVER heard that whine in our 06. Nor my two friend's 08s. Again it could be nothing but why take the chance?
And remember most people on this forum are not mechanics though some are. Some have real exp. working on cars and some have little or none.

ALWAYS ALWAYS better safe than sorry.
And besides... if it bothers you and is nothing major that could hurt it BUT can be fixed...
Why not get it fixed?
Thanks Blacksmoke, just when my mind was calmed

To be honest, my dealership is a bit of a hassle. I guess the thing that's been making me feel better is the fact that I hear it in over half of the videos I watch online. There are some where I don't hear it, but more where I do.

I don't know, kinda second guessing whether I should get it checked now. They didn't say anything about it before. Now I'm worried they might point to my MGW or something.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:48 AM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

I had that whine from day one with my 08 GT. It's because the gears are cut straighter than a lot of cars on the road. Straighter cut = stronger gears = more noise.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:39 AM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by acarzt
I had that whine from day one with my 08 GT. It's because the gears are cut straighter than a lot of cars on the road. Straighter cut = stronger gears = more noise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmJH84FnQa8
Interesting...I wonder why some, such as you and I, have that whine, yet Blacksmoke never had it. Maybe his was just so loud and badass from the cams and longtubes

In all seriousness though, maybe they're like rear end gears in a way, and just develop a specific wear pattern, and the straighter cut are just a lot more prone to it? I don't know. But again, I've heard it in MOST videos, but not all. You say you've had it since day 1, have you ever had any issues?
Old 07-13-2012, 09:48 PM
angryBits
2nd Gear Member

My 2011 GT made the same noise. Hey does that wristband get you free beer at the fair?
Old 07-14-2012, 12:30 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Does the sound annoy you? Does it cause you to worry?
Then get it checked. End of story!

If your dealer is a pain just take it to a different dealer.
As people in your area where a friendly dealership is.
Even if you have to drive an hour or more to get it checked somewhere that wont give you shat.
There are PLENTY of them out there that will not give a rat's *** about your MGW.

Having that load off your shoulders as far as the annoyance and the worry will make it WELL worth it.
I used to take our 06GT to a dealership I found was friendly every single time I got anxious about an issue.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:07 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
Does the sound annoy you? Does it cause you to worry?
Then get it checked. End of story!

If your dealer is a pain just take it to a different dealer.
As people in your area where a friendly dealership is.
Even if you have to drive an hour or more to get it checked somewhere that wont give you shat.
There are PLENTY of them out there that will not give a rat's *** about your MGW.

Having that load off your shoulders as far as the annoyance and the worry will make it WELL worth it.
I used to take our 06GT to a dealership I found was friendly every single time I got anxious about an issue.
It doesn't really annoy me or worry me, just started to when someone pointed it out to me. It's quiet and normal sounding enough that I'm ok with it, I was just curious if others had it to ensure it was normal. Interesting that you didn't, though, so I might get it checked out.

Both dealers near me, I'm friends with people in the sales dept, not so much service. Neither of them seem to take me too seriously due to my age.

And Angrybits, nope only 19 I went to the beach the day before with the girlfriend and had forgotten to take it off.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:11 AM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by HxCGuitars
Interesting...I wonder why some, such as you and I, have that whine, yet Blacksmoke never had it. Maybe his was just so loud and badass from the cams and longtubes

In all seriousness though, maybe they're like rear end gears in a way, and just develop a specific wear pattern, and the straighter cut are just a lot more prone to it? I don't know. But again, I've heard it in MOST videos, but not all. You say you've had it since day 1, have you ever had any issues?
My clutch ate itself at 86,000 miles but never had any tranny problems beyond that.