Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trade my '10 M90'd GT in for a 2013 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 07:14 PM
jpmotorsport

Originally Posted by kenthicken
I would make absolutely sure of this before buying the '13. There are several posts regarding a memo sent six months ago to all Ford dealerships about voiding the engine / drivetrain warranty over things like reflashed PCMs, headers, CAI's, etc.

If you're not worried about voiding the drivetrain warranty with mods, then definitely go ***** out... but don't cry when your new '13 with the flashed PCM and $6,000 worth of engine damage is denied warranty work by Ford.

Gotta pay to play.
If it was me in NYC something like that wouldn't be an option. Simple tune and CAI around here an you're out. I wouldn't count on a super-modded 5.0

Sounds like a simple case of new-car-itis cutting off circulation to the brain. I'd really sit down and think about what I REALLY want and save/work towards that, a test drive will really delusion the mind.

Either way - least you're driving a mustang
Old 07-07-2012, 09:12 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

I say keep the car u have. The warranty is going to be hassle and only get worst with people modding. The mustang is getting steeper in price so when u mod and something happens good luck. This coming from a guy who hates car payments
Old 07-07-2012, 10:53 PM
MiniD

When I look to buy a car, I run from anything performance that was mod'd. It tells me that the driver wasn't happy with fast and wanted to go faster. Now they want to get rid of a vehicle they sank alot of money into. That means serious risk. I think you're going to take a bath on your trade-in value or used car purchaser. It doesn't really matter how well you maintained the car, the perception is there due to people who lie about broken cars that they mod'd and pushed too hard.

The money you invested into the 2010 will only be returned through longevity. I suggest you keep it. I do understand that new model envy is the toughest thing about owning a 1-2 year old car.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:07 PM
65Raven65
3rd Gear Member

Unless the minor changes they made for 2013 are worth more to you than the power you're making in your 2010 now, I'd stick for the time being.

YMMV
Old 07-08-2012, 12:58 AM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

Stick with what you have, unless you are 100000% sure you want to trade up.

I had the trading for a 5.0 thought for a while too, but realized that I drive my Mustang about a hundred miles a month now (If that) Paying $30K for a garage decoration would be idiotic. I'll spend the next year or two tinkering with this car, then when it makes sense, I'll snag a 5.0. You have to consider what really makes sense for you.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:25 AM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MiniD
When I look to buy a car, I run from anything performance that was mod'd. It tells me that the driver wasn't happy with fast and wanted to go faster. Now they want to get rid of a vehicle they sank alot of money into. That means serious risk. I think you're going to take a bath on your trade-in value or used car purchaser. It doesn't really matter how well you maintained the car, the perception is there due to people who lie about broken cars that they mod'd and pushed too hard.

The money you invested into the 2010 will only be returned through longevity. I suggest you keep it. I do understand that new model envy is the toughest thing about owning a 1-2 year old car.
on that same token a ton of performance cars were modded and demodded prior to trading in - and only the most observant of car peoples and mechanics would notice the little things left behind. I'd know - I've returned three cars to stock when selling/trading in, and I meticulously maintain them, ahead of schedule, and I don't really beat up my cars very badly.

you never really know how well maintained the vehicle was either. good luck finding that small % of owners that maintained the car, didn't push it terribly hard very often, and didn't mod it.

I would just assume the risk is always there when buying used. if you can't stomach the idea, then buy new.

re the OP's question .. I'd stick with what ya got man! still a new car, and it's more of a side-trade then anything. it gives you a platform at a higher starting point, that's about it.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:37 AM
65Raven65
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BleedinBlue
I drive my Mustang about a hundred miles a month now (If that) Paying $30K for a garage decoration would be idiotic. u.

Idiot here!

I ordered my 2010 GT mid 2009, so I've had it for almost 3 years. It has almost 4600 on it!

I doesn't bother me though, I plan to keep it forever. Plus its fun and fast enough for the rare times I bring it out. I imagine one day I'll supercharge it, but its not real high on my priority list.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:57 AM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 65Raven65
Idiot here!

I ordered my 2010 GT mid 2009, so I've had it for almost 3 years. It has almost 4600 on it!

I doesn't bother me though, I plan to keep it forever. Plus its fun and fast enough for the rare times I bring it out. I imagine one day I'll supercharge it, but its not real high on my priority list.
LOL, well, idiotic for me, anyway.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:09 AM
65Raven65
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BleedinBlue
LOL, well, idiotic for me, anyway.

No worries. It's my play car so I knew going into it it would be a colossal waste of money!

Old 07-08-2012, 02:13 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

If you want man, I can take you for a spin in mine with the intake and tune. Would give you an idea of what you're looking at with minor bolt on's compared to yours. Just a thought. I'm guessing they are close but mine only has 3.31s in it however. More gear in that car would be a spinfest though.

As for whether its worth it, I'd say if you want to put a blower on the 5.0 then yes. Otherwise the 10 is a nice car. Newer body, improved handling, and a very mature version of the 4.6 which proved to be reliable. Now if you stepped up to a Boss... That might make things more compelling, lol

Last edited by Mudflap; 07-08-2012 at 02:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Trade my '10 M90'd GT in for a 2013 GT?