Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

scared to buy a new 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 01:02 PM
stingertrey

Default scared to buy a new 5.0

Hey guys, always been a huge lsx/Chevy fan but this new 5.0 is a boss and everyone knows it.. I'm sprung for a new one, funds are there. I was all for it until I found threads and topics of people having this ticking noises and issues and dealers giving them the run around and can't even fix it. Tell me what you think of this. Honestly with this being a common problem with no known fix should I go Ls3 Camaro??
Old 07-15-2012, 01:06 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

The only things I've read are failed rings or ring lands and the dealer blames the aftermarket tunes. I'd still be a little scared, because I don't recall every reading about a blown motor on the 4.6 because of a CAI and tune. Ticking? People are neurotic about this ****, so unless it's smoking, i would disregard any posts about ticking.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:08 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I'd never consider a slowmaro, never. I all ready own a car over 4,000lbs and no amount of horsepower is going to make it feel light.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:11 PM
t_kurgan

I joined this board for the specific reason to see the various modifications and any issues that have come up, so I can make a purchase in 2014. I haven't seen anything here that has worried me at all on the 5.0. Like stated, some tunes have had issues, but it appears they are all worked out and lessons have been learned. Engine noises, meh, I agree, can't be too obsessive. High rpm engines don't always sound that great down low, you have to give something to get something. My Z4 M Coupe sounds really raspy and metallic at idle, but sings at 8k. I browsed the Camaro SS boards, and it seems the only real issue has been half-shafts and the absolute crappy paint GM has applied to those vehicles. If I did go the Chevy route, a 3M clear bra would have to be put on before I even drove it off the lot
Old 07-15-2012, 01:23 PM
Bmitchell373
2nd Gear Member

I know of 2 people who have had there engine replaced by the factory warranty. One for lifter tick, other had a oil pressure problem. So wouldn't worry about dealer run around.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:27 PM
DRock
3rd Gear Member

as far as i know only the 2011 really had any problems
Old 07-15-2012, 02:34 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

I took mine in for a tick and they advised the "high intake runners" I have let a few others hear it and all say it's normal... I have never posted about it, because it's not a issue.

With a 3 year 36 you're good.... I think the 11 had majority of the issues and early 12's. They have pretty much resolved everything. Just like any other car the first year or so... They're kinks.... Check out TSB's on first year of the SS.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:20 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

you can scare yourself out of ANY car if you dig for a few problematic/whiny posts.

you will not be happy with the Camaro imo. I sold one to get my stang.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:31 PM
UofHmustang
2nd Gear Member

The Camaro is at least 10k more and a lot slower. Not to mention the interior is hideous with bad blind spots.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:33 PM
stingertrey

I have never considered a mustang as a car I would like but the 2010+ is one fine looking specimen. Along with the legendary 5.0. A buddy at the base I'm at has one and loves it. He drives it like miss daisy though which does that thing no justice. After reading about the two and watching the handling comparisons I REALLY leaned toward the 5.0 over the ls3 camaro.

Quick Reply: scared to buy a new 5.0