Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6 Mods Suggestions for College-student Budget

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 10:10 PM
Hexanon

PICTURE UPDATED IN FIRST POST (NEW WHEELS).

Originally Posted by jthorn9
Skip the pony special crap.

I personally like the roush 9 bar grill with the pony logo for the front.

Chin spoiler painted to your car. I have the CVC series, it doesn't protrude as much as some. I believe I got mine from late model restoration.

Side scoops, they really change the car.

Rear deck lid panel.
Thanks for the suggestion. I completely agree with the chin spoiler.. I needed new ones anyway. The current ones are cracked, courtesy of the previous owner.

I like the side scoops but it might not match the rest of my car - it is a V6 stock, not even GT, no bodykit, nothing. But I will probably add it in later as my car progresses.

Originally Posted by Warpig12354
I would get a GT front bumper and a roush grille with a set of bullit rims.
Originally Posted by 08caliGT
Can usually grab a used set of rims right around 400-600$. Just takes patience for something to come up. Visually: Quarter louver, springs, front bumper, grills, headlights, taillights, rear bumper, dual exhaust conversion. Simple and not over the top. I'd check out AmericanMuscle for their v6 project car. Not a whole lot done, but enough to catch the eye.
I got the rims and tires today. I've update the first post with a picture of it. I like your suggestions, I really do, but unfortunately they sound a little pricey. However, I think it can be done over the course of the next two years or so. I've checked out AmericanMuscle's V6 project car, and I'm totally impressed by it.. do you think visiting I could get GT bumpers off a pick-and-pull yard, or are they a rarity?

Originally Posted by xkape
non car comment... if you are a foreign student, your English is effing awesome. Most cant get the proper words right. understanding is fine but, you seem to even have the little niche phrases down. good job man!
Thanks for the compliments. Yes, I am indeed a foreign student.. well it depends on how they expose themselves to the English language during their formative years. While English isn't my native language, it's my main conversational language. If you check out the racial demographics of Malaysia, the Malays share the country with Chinese, Indians, and a mishmash of other races that emigrated there over the past 3 centuries. English is the 'in between' language for us.

Cheers!
Old 07-22-2012, 10:24 PM
Hexanon

Originally Posted by BeachBlv
yeah man I am a college student too, it sucks knowing exactly what you want your car to be and how to build it but not being able too because of cash. I stared with an 06 V6 pony package so I already had the harness for the foglamps. I was running a roush 9 bar grille for a while with a V6 front end and it looked good. It took me a year but so far I have done GT front and rear bumpers, GT grille with fogs, CDC classic chin spoiler, Roush hood scoop, GT500 spoiler, painted the calipers black, painted my bullets black, painted my badges black, tinted my tail lights front and rear side markers, GT dual exhaust. Nobody can tell its a V6 now and thats the way I want it, considering my last car had a corvette engine in it.. Good luck with yours, black bullits with black racing stripes would be killer and stand out in the parking lot...
Dude, you've got a killer ride. Is that how your ride currently rolls, in that picture in your signature? If so, I am totally envious of you.. you've certainly put in a lot of work on it. You're right, I can't even tell if it's a V6 or not. I think I might do the so-called 'GT conversion' on my car once I've saved up enough money (and found available parts). I hope I can find them in a junkyard, as I can't seem to find bigger parts such as GT bumpers online. Or maybe I'm not looking hard enough. Thanks for the suggestions!

Originally Posted by alkemist
Don't bother with the magnetic black out panel. It doesn't last very long and becomes a waste of money. I had mine for about half a year before it started to shrink and crack. I went with vinyl after that. Much better for something that can be temporary.

+1 on the Roush nine bar, though you can get that "generic" from other vendors such as American Muscle for much cheaper. I didn't bother adding a pony emblem on mine. Gives the front a clean look.

Wheels will give you an instant change to the look of your stang, though I'm personally not a fan of bullitts. AM offers 6% forum discount though I believe you need to have a minimum of 50 posts and PM the rep on here for the code.

Oh and get rid of that riding crop of an antenna. Get a shorty, one of the best $15 spent ever.
Awww man, my order for the magnetic blackout panel has already shipped.. I guess I'll just use it and see how it goes. I'll definitely swap it out for vinyl in the future, though.

Everyone here seems to be in favor of me getting a Roush nine-bar grille, so I guess I'll check it out and try to visualize it on my Mustang.

By the way, I just swapped out the wheels today. I got a good deal on brand new 5 spoke rims off a 2011 GT with brand new Pirelli P Zero Neros on it. The previous ones were bald (it was nearly at the end of it's life when I bought the car). No offense to those repping Bullitts but I think my car looks so much better than the rest with my '11 GT wheels. There's a picture of it on the first post, I just uploaded it. Thanks for the advice, I guess I'll just rack up more post count over time and try to net that 6% forum discount!

Oh yes, I just realized how much of an R/C car my Mustang looks like with that ridiculously long antenna. I ordered a shorty from AmericanMuscle already, can't wait to swap it out!

Originally Posted by Nuke
What's your budget look like?
How's roughly $200-$300/month? I know it's very limited, but I can't get a job and with the money my parents send me, I've to pay for gas (Los Angeles is playing tricks on my car.. getting the city MPG), groceries, rent, etc.

Originally Posted by BeachBlv
here is what the roush 9 bar looks like on a v6

click the pic to make bigger

Thanks for the pictures. I think it looks splendid on a V6. I'll definitely keep this one in mind!

Originally Posted by 05MineralGrayV6
My car started out looking very much like yours except mines not a vert. hood scoops look good, vinyl stripes add a more aggresive look, a new front bumper really adds a meaner look, if you cant afford that gotta a least get a chin spoiler and definately ditch the stock wheels for larger aftermarket wheels. I see on your sig that you are claiming your paint code is Mineral Gray if its a 2008 its not they only used that color on s197's in 2005. If you do have a 2005 Mineral gray I have a gently used Roush hood scoop Im trying to sell.
I've gotten new wheels today off a 2011 Mustang GT. Granted it's not aftermarket, but they really make my Mustang look like a new car (and me feeling like a new man). There is a picture of it in the first post.

I am definitely getting a chin spoiler. I'd like a bumper too, but probably in the future. Thanks for pointing out the error in the paint code! I got confused, it's actually ZY (Vapor Silver). It's slightly lighter than Mineral Gray. Thanks for the offer, but I won't add hood scoops until I get new bumpers and maybe side skirts. I just don't think a hood scoop will look very good on a stock V6 just yet!
Old 07-22-2012, 11:55 PM
mystangisblack
2nd Gear Member

Hey man, I'm in the same boat right now. I'm going to OK State this fall and I'm really worried about having my baby parked outside for four years. I might actually end up selling her. And 05MineralGrayV6 has the right idea. My buddy has a red 07 V6 (not vert). He put the CS front and rear bumper on it and it makes a world of difference. Skip the PP stuff. If you're going to change something, make it look like its been changed. Not just another PP V6. Good luck at college next year!

Also, I just read your above post, if you want a chin spoiler and a new bumper, that California Special one is a two for one.

Last edited by mystangisblack; 07-22-2012 at 11:57 PM. Reason: ReRead
Old 07-23-2012, 01:14 AM
Hexanon

Originally Posted by mystangisblack
Hey man, I'm in the same boat right now. I'm going to OK State this fall and I'm really worried about having my baby parked outside for four years. I might actually end up selling her. And 05MineralGrayV6 has the right idea. My buddy has a red 07 V6 (not vert). He put the CS front and rear bumper on it and it makes a world of difference. Skip the PP stuff. If you're going to change something, make it look like its been changed. Not just another PP V6. Good luck at college next year!

Also, I just read your above post, if you want a chin spoiler and a new bumper, that California Special one is a two for one.
I'm actually in college now! And have been for a year, although I just got my car a month ago. (Didn't need one while I was in San Francisco). Dude, don't sell your baby man.. I don't know about you, but I have emotional bonds with the cars I own. The car is an extension of myself and I am very much my car as my car is very much me. Okay, that was a total exaggeration, but you get what I mean. Thanks for the suggestion, yeah, both of you are right. I don't have the funds for a CS bumpers yet though. And I just realized that PP stuff are rare.. not the emblems, but the grille is. Might as well go for a clean Roush nine-bar grille. Yup. No Pony Package for me, that's for sure.

Also, thanks. I guess I'll really have to look into getting a California Special one!
Old 07-23-2012, 02:07 AM
mystangisblack
2nd Gear Member

The stuff might be rare, BUT, I see just as many PP V6s driving around as normal ones! Happy modding, keep us posted!
Old 07-23-2012, 11:50 AM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hexanon
Everyone here seems to be in favor of me getting a Roush nine-bar grille, so I guess I'll check it out and try to visualize it on my Mustang.
There is a chop shop (photo editing) section here on the MF board. Someone can give you the visualization that you nee. Just make a post, add a picture and say what you are looking to be done. Also +1 on a chin spoiler. Gives the mustang a much more aggressive look.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:59 PM
Hexanon

Originally Posted by mystangisblack
The stuff might be rare, BUT, I see just as many PP V6s driving around as normal ones! Happy modding, keep us posted!
True. Same goes to you!

Originally Posted by alkemist
There is a chop shop (photo editing) section here on the MF board. Someone can give you the visualization that you nee. Just make a post, add a picture and say what you are looking to be done. Also +1 on a chin spoiler. Gives the mustang a much more aggressive look.
Thanks, I photoshopped it myself though, and I sure like what I see! Gives it a cleaner look. That chin spoiler is a definite must.. does anyone know the average cost to paint match an unpainted, primered chin spoiler in a shop?
Old 07-24-2012, 09:51 AM
ZPounds07GT
3rd Gear Member

One big thing you could do, if you haven't already, check out American Muscle. They have a great variety of parts to check out and view on customer cars.

For a GT conversion: Front conversion package

GT/CS rear conversion: GT/CS rear fascia.

Sequential tail lights: Plug in wiring, makes it easier to replace if the wires are bad (happened to me) and easier to install.

Dual exhaust conversion: Cheapest conversion on the site with the option to pick the axleback you want.

Side scoops: Prepainted, makes it cheaper and easier on you.

Stripes: Make a huge difference and are cheap.

That's all just suggestions with links to make it easier for you. There are tons of variations of all the parts. Some better, some worse. AM is generally a go to place for most Mustang owners. Something that most people advise for performance that will change it drastically is a cold air intake with a flash program tuner. Tons of options there too.

Really and truly, nothing is really going to be that cheap that will make much of a difference. Grant it that you can save the full $300 a month, buying some of this stuff won't be much of a problem.

Good luck! And remember, think about your overall goal and try to avoid buying parts more than once.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:00 AM
Hexanon

Originally Posted by ZPounds07GT
One big thing you could do, if you haven't already, check out American Muscle. They have a great variety of parts to check out and view on customer cars.

For a GT conversion: Front conversion package

GT/CS rear conversion: GT/CS rear fascia.

Sequential tail lights: Plug in wiring, makes it easier to replace if the wires are bad (happened to me) and easier to install.

Dual exhaust conversion: Cheapest conversion on the site with the option to pick the axleback you want.

Side scoops: Prepainted, makes it cheaper and easier on you.

Stripes: Make a huge difference and are cheap.

That's all just suggestions with links to make it easier for you. There are tons of variations of all the parts. Some better, some worse. AM is generally a go to place for most Mustang owners. Something that most people advise for performance that will change it drastically is a cold air intake with a flash program tuner. Tons of options there too.

Really and truly, nothing is really going to be that cheap that will make much of a difference. Grant it that you can save the full $300 a month, buying some of this stuff won't be much of a problem.

Good luck! And remember, think about your overall goal and try to avoid buying parts more than once.
Thanks for the links! I might go with the stripes first, and the sequential tail lights next. I don't think I'll get a CAI just yet, a K&N drop-in filter would suffice for the moment!

Absolutely, that's where your suggestions come in handy! This way I can see what I want, give it a long thought and try to plan where my savings will be unloaded on in the next few years.