Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuilding my gt

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 05:37 AM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

Driving a car without having insurance is illegal and irresponsible. I have no pity at all.

If you're broke, get a bicycle, and if you get hit by a car, pray the person that hit you DOES have insurance.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:42 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

OP - I'm going to be blunt about this. You are a jerk. No insurance? I've been hit in the past 2x by someone with no insurance. I HAD TO PAY my deductible to get the repairs made under uninsured motorists. Your friend also didnt pay for the property damage when he plowed through the fence either, did he?

The next time someone without insurance hits me, before the police get there I'm going after their ride with a tire iron. Just keep that in mind.

Get some insurance you jerk. If you can pay for internet, you can pay for that.

And quit looking for parts here. Go find a junkyard and pull your own parts. That's what broke college kids are supposed to do.

PS - I hope you go do take him to small claims court. You might get a judgement against him, but once the judge finds out you didnt have insurance, you're going to have to pay for the damages to the fence either jointly or I hope you get a summary judgement against you for having a motor vehicle without insurance.

Last edited by wcgman; 07-28-2012 at 07:46 AM.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:05 AM
Tom V
2nd Gear Member

Well, I'm not surprised your friend bailed. I agree with the others. Get some estimates and take him to court. He's not a friend any more so what do you have to loose? Make sure you document everything first so you are prepared well. If the judge asks you a question you really need the answer quickly and accurately.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:48 PM
darkstang69
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wcgman
OP - I'm going to be blunt about this. You are a jerk. No insurance? I've been hit in the past 2x by someone with no insurance. I HAD TO PAY my deductible to get the repairs made under uninsured motorists. Your friend also didnt pay for the property damage when he plowed through the fence either, did he?

The next time someone without insurance hits me, before the police get there I'm going after their ride with a tire iron. Just keep that in mind.

Get some insurance you jerk. If you can pay for internet, you can pay for that.

And quit looking for parts here. Go find a junkyard and pull your own parts. That's what broke college kids are supposed to do.

PS - I hope you go do take him to small claims court. You might get a judgement against him, but once the judge finds out you didnt have insurance, you're going to have to pay for the damages to the fence either jointly or I hope you get a summary judgement against you for having a motor vehicle without insurance.
I know it was a stupid move not having insuranse, we all have done stupid things and not having insurance was one of them... Yes he payed for the fence it was surprisingly cheap ($50) I already bought most some parts Im just looking for some advice...
Old 07-29-2012, 10:57 AM
wanakanabe
2nd Gear Member

Agree with most,you almost ruined your whole life.What if he hit someone else.Maybe someone got killed or had to be on support /disability for life.With all the lawsuits,medical and court costs.Your financial life would have been destroyed.
I would be be going after my friend/exfriend to pay for everything.Just realize how close you came to ruining your life so a friend could take a joy ride with his girlfriend.
If you didn't want all the flack,you probably shouldn't have mentioned the not having insurance part.Lots of very strong feelings around about this.

Good luck
Old 07-29-2012, 12:15 PM
TommyB681
2nd Gear Member

that blows but hey as for right now look at is as '**** happens' obviously there isnt much use tying up legal litigation at this point. just take your time and look for part outs on sites to save some money on the rebuild. good luck!!
Old 07-29-2012, 01:04 PM
RichieCal
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by darkstang69
I know it was a stupid move not having insuranse, we all have done stupid things and not having insurance was one of them... Yes he payed for the fence it was surprisingly cheap ($50) I already bought most some parts Im just looking for some advice...
He payed for the fence, but didn't pay to fix your car???!...I'm still wonderin how u get license plates for a car when u don't have insurance???
Old 07-29-2012, 03:41 PM
loots06
5th Gear Member

Where are you located? I may have some of those parts you need. I wouldnt waste time on repairing the fenders just get new/used ones. I'm sure you could find a hood locally. Keep an eye CL and +1000 on s197forums.

Doing it yourself would save you a bunch or money, simple hands tools and you'll be fine. If you get stuck on something look up some of the DIY treads, check YouTube or ask for help on the forum.

Last edited by loots06; 07-29-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:29 PM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RichieCal
He payed for the fence, but didn't pay to fix your car???!...I'm still wonderin how u get license plates for a car when u don't have insurance???
I don't know if all states require proof of insurance to get a car registered. Even if proof is required though, it's an easy system to beat. Pay for one month's insurance, get plates then stop paying insurance...or if you are a true deviant print up a fake insurance card. Then wreck, cause property damage to other's property, don't have insurance or the money to cover the other person's property. It's done all the time.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:43 PM
modru2004
2nd Gear Member

broke college student or not your telling me you can't afford to pay for liability insurance? its cheap as hell assuming you don't have a horrible driving record. there's no excuse. and if your driving records so bad you can't afford liability why the hell do you have a mustang gt.

as far as the "friend" goes, theres no excuse for what he did. hes no friend and should be taken to court for the damages.

Quick Reply: Rebuilding my gt