Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSD cops=battery killers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 08:08 PM
Boogiestang
1st Gear Member

Default MSD cops=battery killers?

I have a 05GT will all the usual bolt on upgrades and a tune from Brenspeed. I recently installed the MSD cops and now after the car sits more than 2 days the battery is dead so obviously something is pulling the battery down. I have used MSD ignition parts for 20plus years and have had good success with them but now I am beginning to wonder. Yes I do like the faster starting(when battery is charged) and cleaner running but this having to jump it off everytime is not gonna get it. The car is not a daily driver but it is driven most weekends and sometimes during the week on nice days. I did pull the negative off tonight for a couple minutes to maybe let the system reset but didnot have time to jump it off. I sure would hate to put the stock cops back on but I might have to. Anyone else have this experience with yours or can you give me some input on what to do? Thanks. Boogie
Old 08-02-2012, 08:12 PM
Tygr1
2nd Gear Member

How old is the battery?
Old 08-02-2012, 08:25 PM
Boogiestang
1st Gear Member

Around 1 year old and it is rated higher than the stock battery so I doubt that it is the problem. Everything was fine until I did the MSD swap. Once the car runs awhile it will restart fine so that tells me the charging system is ok and the battery is fine. Kind of weird I know.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:34 PM
obxdude018
3rd Gear Member

There will probably be a lot more educated people than me to chime in about aftermarket COP's, but from what I have heard and read, they seem to cause more headaches than anything else and that sticking with the stock ones is a more logic choice.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:36 PM
BigIron22
1st Gear Member

I would still have the battery checked! My stock battery died, I got a replacement and that replacement died a year later. Sometimes new parts fail early.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:37 PM
DRock
3rd Gear Member

go over the install again and check that everything is hooked up properly and tight
Old 08-02-2012, 08:52 PM
Boogiestang
1st Gear Member

Battery could be going,,very possible. I will pull it and have it checked but I still find it ironic that this started happening right after the coil change over. Hey good thing I kept the stock coils just in case. Sure hate to was $380 dollars on nothing but problems.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:55 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

If it's hte original battery, it's probably outlived it's life. Otherwise there are other known issues that can cause battery drain, including a failing alternator or and issue with the shaker head unit.
Best bet is to take the battery in to be tested (autozone or elsewhere), they can let you know whether it's simply discharged or going dead at no charge, also they can test the alternator. My best guess is it's just coincidence... but it's also known that the stock COPs are the most reliable.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:12 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Ever hear of a coincidence? That's what you have here. I have msd cops and don't drive my car every day. My battery would die from sitting for 5-6 days and that was with the stock cops.

I'm on my third battery. Stock lasted 3 years, autozone battery lasted 3 years. The one from O'reily's has been the best so far.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:13 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

I've had the MSD cops for many years with no problem at all. In fact they shouldn't be a cause for the battery to drain anyways. You probably have a battery issue, alternator issue, or some other drain in the system. My guess is that it is the battery.

Quick Reply: MSD cops=battery killers?