Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another broken part.. Add it to the list

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 03:11 PM
Fort LiquordaleGT
2nd Gear Member

Default Another broken part.. Add it to the list

Add it to the list.

Noticed my fog light was not sitting right, I tapped on it and realized it's just hanging there. Took the grill half off and discovered the bracket is gone, it's broken in a few pieces, the plastic has a rubbery dried feel to it. So how much is this tiny plastic bracket? $103. They don't sell just the bracket you must buy the entire fog light..

I guess since I saved $80 dollars by using gorilla glue to fix my seat valance instead of buying a new one, it's not too bad..

After paying the car off this month I'm now in just over $230..

Seat latches aluminum black - 50
Rear View Mirror - 35
Seat Valance - 3 bucks in glue for now, would have been 80.
Fog Light - 103
Trunk light plastic piece - 3 bucks in glue and screws
Power lumbar - not worth fixing, way too much work and expense.
Stock shifter **** - $25 on ebay

If you ever break your seat valance, you can glue the front clip back on. When I took it off and noticed how they designed it I was not shocked, typical Ford... It's not very secure, I suspect long term all of these will break. I used the Gorilla super glue that that is impact resistant since has it has rubber in it.

I thought 6 years ago this car would not be like the 5.0s where the interior fell part around a great engine and trans, I was wrong, this is the same Ford. I've now fixed my car 3 times by going to home depot... Just sad...
Old 08-11-2012, 03:26 PM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

What do you mean by seat valance? Is that the plastic on the side of the seat by where the lever to recline the seat is found? If so, the passenger side clip on mine has broken as well. Unfortunately for me, the plastic end of the clip is nowhere to be found.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:49 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

the lumbar thing might not be hard to fix. When I replaced my seat covers I looked at it and there isnt much too it but it would take a bit of time as it involves taking the seat apart.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:55 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Another reason that I've owned 6 Toyotas; 1 is my current DD with 80k miles and the other 5 racked up nearly 1,000,000 miles combined with less issues on all 6 than on any ONE of the domestics that I've owned, the current 2 Stangs not withstanding. I own 2 Stangs because they're... Stangs.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:22 PM
Fort LiquordaleGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Antonio323
What do you mean by seat valance? Is that the plastic on the side of the seat by where the lever to recline the seat is found? If so, the passenger side clip on mine has broken as well. Unfortunately for me, the plastic end of the clip is nowhere to be found.

Yes. The clip (along with the piece that broke off) was still in the seat, it's unlikely that it fell off as it's held in there with a metal clip, I had to really yank on it to get it out. It's all the way at the front near the top hidden almost by the seat cushion.

The handle is held on with a C Clip, and there is a screw on the back of the seat. There is another clip, that it was also broke, it's near the middle but this doesn't seem to affect the valance at all.

I could not deal with getting in my car and seeing the exposed switches/wires as mine is on the drivers side considering I paid 30k for this car!

The name in Fords system is "seat cushion valance"... However, you have to buy the correct one based on pass/drivers/color/switches...

They range from $50-$80. I posted a pic of it below, #1 is the clip I glued back on, #2 is the one that is broken but didn't seem to make much difference.

Also Ford is filled with *** clowns, the way they wired the switches is just stupid. The wire harness for the lumbar is easy to remove, however the wire harness for the seat position is dumb, it's reversed, you have to somehow get your fingers in there and press the tab down to get it out. All they had to do was flip it, but nope that's not Fords M.O....

Cleaning my car today, I found yet another problem, the leather on the bottom of the door came off, when I fixed the top the bottom was never peeling, but I guess it peeled, but you can't notice it, probably going to leave it alone, I'm done gluing the car back together..
Attached Thumbnails Another broken part.. Add it to the list-valance.jpg  

Last edited by Fort LiquordaleGT; 08-11-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:40 PM
Fort LiquordaleGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Another reason that I've owned 6 Toyotas; 1 is my current DD with 80k miles and the other 5 racked up nearly 1,000,000 miles combined with less issues on all 6 than on any ONE of the domestics that I've owned, the current 2 Stangs not withstanding. I own 2 Stangs because they're... Stangs.
I refused to buy a foreign car, in fact when I met my GF I told her she eventually needs to sell her scion but now I see how stupid am I. I'm going to compromise, I will buy a Toyota/Honda when we start a family but we'll make sure it's built in the US.. What I learned is that it's not the workers putting these together, it's the design, engineering, quality control and worker pride.. Doesn't matter if a Toyota is built in the US the quality is outstanding.

We can put a rover on mars weighing two tons, but we can't build a decent car, just amazing.

But I'll always own a stang, but I'll never EVER buy a new one again..

Rant over...
Old 08-11-2012, 08:21 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

The lever on the backside of my passenger seat was broken when I bought it. Apparently it's very common. I replaced them with chrome metal ones. Fixed!

The trim piece to the left of my headunit is missing a retaining clip, so it's a little loose. Not making any noise, but would eventually like to find a clip so it's correct.

The big one, I need new dash air vents. I think the previous owner (apparently a female named Olga) wheel hopped the hell out of it and shook them loose. Need to find some of these if anyone has them?
Old 08-11-2012, 09:09 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

I guess Im lucky because with the 5 Mustangs I have owned, I've never had these kinds of problems.

If you're done gluing the car, perhaps try duct tape.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:04 PM
Joenpb
2nd Gear Member

Some people just like to complain. You've had the car 5 years and had a small number of annoying problems, ok. Not sure what you expected? Most cars have small issues of some sort over the years, they're mechanical, and mechanical things don't last forever. I've seen people with real issues, transmission, engine & other problems that are concerning. Glad you were able to fix most without too much effort.

I think you'll find that even paying a lot more money for a car won't ensure it'll be problem free.