Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


Vibration issues, before and after suspension/1 piece driveshaft/new rear end install

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-04-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
05slpGT
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Vehicle: 2012 BMW 135i DCT Convertible
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 807
Default Vibration issues, before and after suspension/1 piece driveshaft/new rear end install

Ive seen this problem posted a few times but found no solution for mine. Ive been battling highway vibrations for a looong time now. Ive had my shocks, struts, springs, driveshaft (shaftmasters), and rear end (boss 302/gt500 rear end w/ 3.73s) all replaced within the year(driveshaft is about 2 years old) and this problem is still happening. It changes when it starts too. Sometimes on road trips it will feel like the car is going to explode at 80-85, other days it wont be bad until 100-110. Has anyone heard of this problem and have any idea what it could be? brakes? transmission? i have 89k on the car stock clutch but i dont see that being the problem... upper/lower control arms?do i need to get to get adjustable control arms? I am lowered, but only by an inch, and steeda said id be fine when i bought the springs. No shop will test my car at that high of a speed, so its making it a difficult problem to fix.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
__________________
Past Rides:
2005 Mustang GT 325rwhp
2013 Subaru BRZ
2014 Subaru WRX STi
2014 Focus ST

Last edited by 05slpGT; 08-04-2012 at 01:03 PM.
05slpGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:10 PM   #2
danzcool
4th Gear Member
 
danzcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Vehicle: 2008 GT
Location: CA
Posts: 1,646
Default

With all you've done, you didn't mention the obvious first check on vibration, I'm sure you've checked, but I have to ask, have you had your wheels balanced?
__________________

danzcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Vehicle: 93 Mustang LX, 13 Boss 302
Location: NC
Posts: 2,028
Default

Exactly what I was thinking. Get them road-force balanced. Tire balance will do some strange stuff.
Boss_Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:06 PM   #4
ClayBonics
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Vehicle: 06 Mustang GT
Location: PA
Posts: 343
Default

My thoughts exactly Road Force Balance makes all the difference.
__________________
SOLD
'06 Mustang GT
Black / Black & Tan Leather
Black DD AM 20x8.5 & 20x10 Bullitts with 255/40/20 & 295/35/20
Go: Hurst Shifter, Mac AB, TI - 93 Brenspeed Tune, SPEC Stage 2 Clutch w/Alum FW
Show: Center Mount Fogs, Side Vents, Hood Pins, Roush Rear Springs, CDC Chin Spoiler,
HIDS
ClayBonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:38 PM   #5
05slpGT
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Vehicle: 2012 BMW 135i DCT Convertible
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 807
Default

Yeah, I have but its been a while, I'll have it checked on monday. Havent heard of Road Force Balance, if its different than a normal tire balance, where would I go that would have one.
__________________
Past Rides:
2005 Mustang GT 325rwhp
2013 Subaru BRZ
2014 Subaru WRX STi
2014 Focus ST
05slpGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #6
tdbrown75
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location:
Posts: 361
Send a message via Yahoo to tdbrown75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05slpGT View Post
Ive seen this problem posted a few times but found no solution for mine. Ive been battling highway vibrations for a looong time now. Ive had my shocks, struts, springs, driveshaft (shaftmasters), and rear end (boss 302/gt500 rear end w/ 3.73s) all replaced within the year(driveshaft is about 2 years old) and this problem is still happening. It changes when it starts too. Sometimes on road trips it will feel like the car is going to explode at 80-85, other days it wont be bad until 100-110. Has anyone heard of this problem and have any idea what it could be? brakes? transmission? i have 89k on the car stock clutch but i dont see that being the problem... upper/lower control arms?do i need to get to get adjustable control arms? I am lowered, but only by an inch, and steeda said id be fine when i bought the springs. No shop will test my car at that high of a speed, so its making it a difficult problem to fix.
I have the exact same problem only mine starts consistently at 80MPH with 4.10s. Iím lowered with Steeda ultralites and run the FRPP dampers. Never had any problems with the stock 3.31s, mine started when I went to 4.10s. Since the vibration developed Iíve had several sets of gears, tried adjusting the suspension geometry and pinion angle with an adjustable UCA and pan hard bar, and even replaced the entire axle assembly. After all this Iíve done nothing but managed to move the vibration around between about 65 and 80MPH.

Mine is a resonance type vibration with a bass sound, definitely in the driveline (too high frequency to be a wheel/tire and anyway I tried swapping those too). Itís spent weeks at the local dealership with NVH sensors and analytics software trying to isolate the vibration on a Dyno. Attempts to weight the driveshaft made no difference just like the wheels, adjustable upper and pan hard bar and new axle.

At this stage I am convinced the installer (master Ford mechanic) at the dealer maybe wasnít that great with gears. Over the last year they have developed a whine on decel and a booming resonance around 40mph in addition to the vibe over 80. I hate it and it makes it hard to enjoy the car. The 4.10 RPMs on the highway are too much for me so Iím taking it in one last time for a set of 3.73s at a trusted speed shop to give it one more shot.

Iíve learned lots of things as Iíve gone through this experience but one stands out above the rest. DONíT MESS WITH GEARS IN YOUR S197 MUSTANG!

Tim
tdbrown75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #7
05slpGT
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Vehicle: 2012 BMW 135i DCT Convertible
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 807
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdbrown75 View Post
I have the exact same problem only mine starts consistently at 80MPH with 4.10s. Iím lowered with Steeda ultralites and run the FRPP dampers. Never had any problems with the stock 3.31s, mine started when I went to 4.10s. Since the vibration developed Iíve had several sets of gears, tried adjusting the suspension geometry and pinion angle with an adjustable UCA and pan hard bar, and even replaced the entire axle assembly. After all this Iíve done nothing but managed to move the vibration around between about 65 and 80MPH.

Mine is a resonance type vibration with a bass sound, definitely in the driveline (too high frequency to be a wheel/tire and anyway I tried swapping those too). Itís spent weeks at the local dealership with NVH sensors and analytics software trying to isolate the vibration on a Dyno. Attempts to weight the driveshaft made no difference just like the wheels, adjustable upper and pan hard bar and new axle.

At this stage I am convinced the installer (master Ford mechanic) at the dealer maybe wasnít that great with gears. Over the last year they have developed a whine on decel and a booming resonance around 40mph in addition to the vibe over 80. I hate it and it makes it hard to enjoy the car. The 4.10 RPMs on the highway are too much for me so Iím taking it in one last time for a set of 3.73s at a trusted speed shop to give it one more shot.

Iíve learned lots of things as Iíve gone through this experience but one stands out above the rest. DONíT MESS WITH GEARS IN YOUR S197 MUSTANG!

Tim
Sounds like the same kind of vibration from the way you described it, only difference is i am getting no gear whine at all, and on my old rear end i had 4.10s and they used to howl. But i dont think mine could have been gear install, the rear end i bought came fully assembled. It is so damn frustrating and your right, makes it hard to enjoy the car.
__________________
Past Rides:
2005 Mustang GT 325rwhp
2013 Subaru BRZ
2014 Subaru WRX STi
2014 Focus ST
05slpGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:25 PM   #8
tdbrown75
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location:
Posts: 361
Send a message via Yahoo to tdbrown75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05slpGT View Post
Sounds like the same kind of vibration from the way you described it, only difference is i am getting no gear whine at all, and on my old rear end i had 4.10s and they used to howl. But i don't think mine could have been gear install, the rear end i bought came fully assembled. It is so damn frustrating and your right, makes it hard to enjoy the car.
At what point did you notice it exactly? Was it after a particular mod or just something you picked up along the way? I'm fairly certain mine started after my second set of 4.10s which is why I suspect gears. I drove it lowered with the 3.31s for years and never had a problem. I suppose it could be coincidence or maybe they jacked something else up while back there. I too am at a total loss at this point. I thought maybe brakes a one point myself, your brakes stock or you have mods? I'm running drilled/slotted rotors from Rotorpro's.

Tim

Last edited by tdbrown75; 08-04-2012 at 04:40 PM.
tdbrown75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:03 PM   #9
drfister
3rd Gear Member
 
drfister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 2005 Sonic Blue 4.0
Location: ONTARIO
Posts: 599
DrFister
Default

When I initially had my driveshaft and 3.73s put in, I had a bad vibration while cruising on the highway at 130km/h (80mph). This was on top of gear whine with richmond gears. Auto trans, Steeda d/s (not sure which company acutally made it at that time, but its the tapered on 4"->3.5"), lowered with pro-kit, had an adj UCA at the time as well. I would get a vibration at ~130-140km/h (80-90mph), nothing above or below that. It was very disheartening because I bought the 1-piece shaft to ensure I had NO vibrations, but it seemed to vibrate when the stock one did not.

Needless to say, I enventually had my richmond gears replaced with frpp gears, still 3.73s, as well as installed a BMR adj panhard bar. The gears and panhard eliminated my gear whine and also suprisingly, and to my great relief, got rid of my scary driveshaft vibration. Smooth as silk. Good luck on getting it sorted out!
__________________

2005 Sonic Blue 4.0 V6 2005-2013 R.I.P.
2009 Black 4.6 GT FR500S exhaust, Roush CAI
drfister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:58 PM   #10
05slpGT
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Vehicle: 2012 BMW 135i DCT Convertible
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 807
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdbrown75 View Post
At what point did you notice it exactly? Was it after a particular mod or just something you picked up along the way? I'm fairly certain mine started after my second set of 4.10s which is why I suspect gears. I drove it lowered with the 3.31s for years and never had a problem. I suppose it could be coincidence or maybe they jacked something else up while back there. I too am at a total loss at this point. I thought maybe brakes a one point myself, your brakes stock or you have mods? I'm running drilled/slotted rotors from Rotorpro's.

Tim
Funny... I have drilled/slotted rotors from Rotorpros... how long have you been running them? Ive been running mine for a few years, long enough to be on my 2nd set. And it was no mod in particular that i can think of, and i even had the vibration with stock 3.55s.
__________________
Past Rides:
2005 Mustang GT 325rwhp
2013 Subaru BRZ
2014 Subaru WRX STi
2014 Focus ST
05slpGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:51 AM   #11
Nuke
6th Gear Member
 
Nuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Vehicle: 2007 GT
Location: PA to KY ('07) to IL ('09) to MS ('10) to FL ('11)
Posts: 16,109
Send a message via AIM to Nuke Send a message via Yahoo to Nuke Send a message via Skype™ to Nuke
Default

Your vibration problem could be one or combinations of many of those things described above. You'll have to try to eliminate them one-by-one.

The RoadForce balance will identify tire and rim issues that a standard spin balance willnot and cannot pick up. It applies pressure to the tire (hence the Road Force) as if it was making contact as it does during use.

Also, if you're running aftermarket wheels, be sure the rotor clips have been removed, IF any of them still remain. They were for the assembly line only and have no further function.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RotorClips.jpg (17.2 KB, 8 views)
__________________
Rick
07 GT Prem: Alloy, MT, 3.55's, Steeda CAI w/Brenspeed tunes, FRPP Stingers, 275/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S on SVT Cobras (OE GT500's), 14" shorty, Wheelskin side scoops & qtr window louvers, A-H rear window louvers, SHR honeycomb blackout panel, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
06 V6: Legend Lime, Pony Package, 14" shorty, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:22 AM   #12
tdbrown75
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location:
Posts: 361
Send a message via Yahoo to tdbrown75
Default

What i have feels NOTHING like tire out of balance, it's not a wobbly shake your passenger seat kind of vibe. It's much higher frequency, imagine a bass box hitting a long low note, it's audible, its a resonance in the frame of the car VERY similar to exhaust drone only its not drone. It's a buzzing kind of vibe that blurs objects in the mirror. Imagine hitting rumble strips at high speed (only not quite as pronounced).

Here's my very similar thread I started when mine developed: http://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s1...ay-speeds.html

I'm only looking back into it as I decided the 4.10s are a bit much for me on the highway and the gears are a bit too short so I'm dropping back to 3.73. I'm secretly hoping it fixes my vibe problem too, but I'm not overly optimistic about it. Car goes in Wednesday where I should have took it for gears the first time. I'll be back with an update once I get it back. Wish me luck!

Tim
tdbrown75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:58 AM   #13
05slpGT
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Vehicle: 2012 BMW 135i DCT Convertible
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 807
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdbrown75 View Post
What i have feels NOTHING like tire out of balance, it's not a wobbly shake your passenger seat kind of vibe. It's much higher frequency, imagine a bass box hitting a long low note, it's audible, its a resonance in the frame of the car VERY similar to exhaust drone only its not drone. It's a buzzing kind of vibe that blurs objects in the mirror. Imagine hitting rumble strips at high speed (only not quite as pronounced).

Here's my very similar thread I started when mine developed: http://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s1...ay-speeds.html

I'm only looking back into it as I decided the 4.10s are a bit much for me on the highway and the gears are a bit too short so I'm dropping back to 3.73. I'm secretly hoping it fixes my vibe problem too, but I'm not overly optimistic about it. Car goes in Wednesday where I should have took it for gears the first time. I'll be back with an update once I get it back. Wish me luck!

Tim
Exactly as described above. My rear view mirror looks likes its going to fall off when the vibration kicks in. Its a low deep audible drone, almost like exhaust. I would throw the GoPro on it but im afraid that the vibration would knock it off.
__________________
Past Rides:
2005 Mustang GT 325rwhp
2013 Subaru BRZ
2014 Subaru WRX STi
2014 Focus ST
05slpGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:22 PM   #14
tdbrown75
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location:
Posts: 361
Send a message via Yahoo to tdbrown75
Default

So I called my shop today to see if all the parts had come in for my appointment this week. The guy at the shop told me the ďGT500 bearing kitĒ had not come in yet but should arrive tomorrow. I was thinking why the heck do I need a GT500 bearing kit and is it even any different? I got home an Googled itÖ and almost fell out of my chair.

http://www.lethalperformance.com/for...stall-kit.html

Made specifically for the 2010-2013 Shelby GT500 this ring and pinion install kit is the answer many have been waiting for. The GT500 uses a different pinion bearing than the Mustang GT. Since the GT500 pinion bearing itself can't be ordered through Ford many have had to stick with the standard bearing which come to find out was the cause of vibration in the rear end after a gear swap.

So as I had a dealer do the install they very likely used the stock GT pinion, which in turn would explain why they could never identify the source of the vibration! I'll let you know how it turns out later this week or this weekend.

Tim
tdbrown75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:19 AM   #15
05slpGT
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Vehicle: 2012 BMW 135i DCT Convertible
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 807
Default

I wonder if that is included with the rear end in my car? I have this http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-s...mbly-0512.html
I had the vibration before AND after that thing was installed.

This is such a pain in the ***, theres so many things it could be. Heres a little writeup about symptoms of bad control arms
http://www.ehow.com/how_8054093_cont...placement.html
"Test drive the car on the freeway. Torn and worn out control arms or bent control arms will cause a car's steering to vibrate. This is a symptom that will become exacerbated the higher the speeds are and may become very noticeable at freeway speeds. Other potential causes of this symptom can be a bad alignment, bent wheels or unevenly worn tires."
__________________
Past Rides:
2005 Mustang GT 325rwhp
2013 Subaru BRZ
2014 Subaru WRX STi
2014 Focus ST

Last edited by 05slpGT; 08-08-2012 at 11:29 AM.
05slpGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:00 PM   #16
tdbrown75
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location:
Posts: 361
Send a message via Yahoo to tdbrown75
Default

Yes that rear end should have the bearing (reads heavy duty bearings), so in your case at least that's probably not the issue.

It is pretty amazing how no one seems to be able to fix these things, you assume anything can be fixed now a days with computers/tools available.

Again I'm not getting my hopes up, the vibe is not the reason for the gear change but if it goes away I'll be thrilled.

If it doesn't fix it we shall journey on together until one of us figures it out. I find out tomorrow, wish me luck!

Tim
tdbrown75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:02 PM   #17
moosestang
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2006 mustang gt
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 11,278
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdbrown75 View Post
What i have feels NOTHING like tire out of balance, it's not a wobbly shake your passenger seat kind of vibe. It's much higher frequency, imagine a bass box hitting a long low note, it's audible, its a resonance in the frame of the car VERY similar to exhaust drone only its not drone. It's a buzzing kind of vibe that blurs objects in the mirror. Imagine hitting rumble strips at high speed (only not quite as pronounced).

Here's my very similar thread I started when mine developed: http://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s1...ay-speeds.html

I'm only looking back into it as I decided the 4.10s are a bit much for me on the highway and the gears are a bit too short so I'm dropping back to 3.73. I'm secretly hoping it fixes my vibe problem too, but I'm not overly optimistic about it. Car goes in Wednesday where I should have took it for gears the first time. I'll be back with an update once I get it back. Wish me luck!

Tim
Did you every turn the driveshaft 180 degrees or adjust the pinion angle yourself? Grab a couple of wrenches, crawl under there and change the angle. There is no correct pinion angle imo, there is just what works best for you. With the stock driveshaft or any shaft with a cv joint at the pinion flange, you can set it to almost any angle without causing any harm.

If I were a dealer and someone brought a lowered vehicle in complaining about vibrations, I'd tell them to go pound sand as far as warranty goes. Put the stock springs back in, then I'll waste my time with it.
__________________
Boost or Buell, decisions, decisions.

whipple HO SC,FRPP k springs, Pypes mid mufflers, hurst, frpp TB, 4.10's, spohn lca's, adj. UCA, relo brackets, 1 piece DS, spec stg 3+ clutch. 12.52@117.6mph so far with a 2.01 60 ft time

Pumpkin jacking addict

Last edited by moosestang; 08-08-2012 at 09:06 PM.
moosestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:49 PM   #18
tdbrown75
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location:
Posts: 361
Send a message via Yahoo to tdbrown75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosestang View Post
Did you every turn the driveshaft 180 degrees or adjust the pinion angle yourself? Grab a couple of wrenches, crawl under there and change the angle. There is no correct pinion angle imo, there is just what works best for you. With the stock driveshaft or any shaft with a cv joint at the pinion flange, you can set it to almost any angle without causing any harm.

If I were a dealer and someone brought a lowered vehicle in complaining about vibrations, I'd tell them to go pound sand as far as warranty goes. Put the stock springs back in, then I'll waste my time with it.
Yes I clocked the drive shaft (tried multiple positions) but no I've not messed with the pinion angle. I had the car lowered for 2+ years before putting in the 4.10s with no signs of any vibes at all which is why I am suspicious of the gears. Seeing as the dealer owned speed shop modified my car (suspension and gears) they stood behind their work which was really cool.

05slpGT have you tried various pinion angles to see if you could make it any better/worse?
And moosestang thanks for the tip!

Tim
tdbrown75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:39 AM   #19
05slpGT
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Vehicle: 2012 BMW 135i DCT Convertible
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 807
Default

Ive never adjusted the pinion angles, not sure how its done.
__________________
Past Rides:
2005 Mustang GT 325rwhp
2013 Subaru BRZ
2014 Subaru WRX STi
2014 Focus ST
05slpGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:09 AM   #20
808muscle
5th Gear Member
 
808muscle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 2006 Mustang GT
Location: Maui
Posts: 4,612
Default

I will put money that its your pinion angle. You need a adjustable UCA installed to adjust it. Do some searches. Dropping your car with a one piece driveshaft changes the PA so it has to be corrected.
__________________


06 Satin Silver GT - Auto...ROUSH M90 CAI, Afco Dual Fan HE, 4.10s,Trutrac, Detroit Rockers, Moroso, DSS DS, TCI Rachet Shifter, PA Deep Pan, Eibach Handling, FR P Springs, Strange Shocks/Struts, BMR, J&M, SS Lines/ EBC Rotors w/Reds, Mickey Thompson SC5, Nitto 255/305, 2011 leather, Pypes LT's/H-Pipe, MBRP Resonators, Borla

2014 Pro Street 12.90 Class...Season Points Runner Up
12.23@114
808muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:09 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang




Paid Advertisement

 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
New Sponsors
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:47 AM.

© Internet Brands, Inc.


This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Fordģ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company
Emails Backup