Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Keep Modding...or to Prepare to Trade?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 05:16 PM
MarkMan
4th Gear Member

I'd love to have a 2013 GT500! At the Mid America Shelby get together in Tulsa, I was at the road course track, got crud all over the car, took 3 or 4 hrs to clean it up again for the car show! I wouldn't take it back to the track cause I didn't want to clean again. On the way home the wife said "you need one to race and one to show"! I almost had a wreck. Got me thinking anyway! But I can't get rid of this one.....no way!
Old 08-07-2012, 05:24 PM
Fort LiquordaleGT
2nd Gear Member

As Mick Jagger sang, I can't get no satisfaction...

Everyone who loves Mustangs knows they will never EVER be satisfied. If you trade up you'll be in the same spot two years from now... I learned my lesson and beside the steeda shifter my car is 100% stock and I'm so much happier that is it compared to my 5.0... Modding is fun but it loses it's charm and costs a lot of money.

I just paid off my 06, about 28k financed, $401/a month interest free. I love my car, but I'll never do it again... A paid off Mustang is far better off than one with loads of debt in the trunk.

Trust me, you'll never be satisfied. In fact a lot of Mustang guys switch to the Vette as they get older because they are still chasing the notion they will finally be satisfied.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:30 PM
MarkMan
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fort LiquordaleGT
As Mick Jagger sang, I can't get no satisfaction...

Everyone who loves Mustangs knows they will never EVER be satisfied. If you trade up you'll be in the same spot two years from now... I learned my lesson and beside the steeda shifter my car is 100% stock and I'm so much happier that is it compared to my 5.0... Modding is fun but it loses it's charm and costs a lot of money.

I just paid off my 06, about 28k financed, $401/a month interest free. I love my car, but I'll never do it again... A paid off Mustang is far better off than one with loads of debt in the trunk.

Trust me, you'll never be satisfied. In fact a lot of Mustang guys switch to the Vette as they get older because they are still chasing the notion they will finally be satisfied.
+1.....
Old 08-07-2012, 05:35 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

No pun intended, but just ride it out and see what the future holds after your wedding. You are entering a new chapter in your life and adding in more debt is normally not the way to go unless you are well off. Never really know when you might have an extra mouth to feed. I know.. I know.. that's no fun at all but that's just reality. This is coming from a female POV.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:47 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Very interesting post. There are many of us that are in a similar situation in regards to being at that crossroads where to mod or trade up. I think the big thing here is that your modding list is extensive and for the most part hard to recouperate when you finally trade it in. If you said all I was is a CAI, tune, wheels, tires, and some cosmetics, I would say keep your car. But since you are considering throwing 8-10K at it, I can understand why you are at a crossroad. The redesign is a significant improvement and I thought the S197 was a great step forward. However, with that coyote motor, it is such a drastic jump in power and technology that I think you should trade it in. Here's a question for you that might help you make a decision.

Will your planned mods for the 06 bring the overall performance of the car to a similar level as a 5.0 with the performance pack (Brembo's, 3.73, 19s, stiffer suspension) and add a CAI, tune, and exhaust?

If the answer is yes, then trade up now and don't mod. If your upgrades are going to kill a 5.0 with the above simple reversable mods then keep your current car and have fun.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:04 PM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by alkemist
No pun intended, but just ride it out and see what the future holds after your wedding. You are entering a new chapter in your life and adding in more debt is normally not the way to go unless you are well off. Never really know when you might have an extra mouth to feed. I know.. I know.. that's no fun at all but that's just reality. This is coming from a female POV.
Yup, I know. She intends to be pregnant in a year, I already told her I intend to get a blower or trade BEFORE that! Luckily except for cars/house, we are debt free.

Originally Posted by UrS4
Very interesting post. There are many of us that are in a similar situation in regards to being at that crossroads where to mod or trade up. I think the big thing here is that your modding list is extensive and for the most part hard to recouperate when you finally trade it in. If you said all I was is a CAI, tune, wheels, tires, and some cosmetics, I would say keep your car. But since you are considering throwing 8-10K at it, I can understand why you are at a crossroad. The redesign is a significant improvement and I thought the S197 was a great step forward. However, with that coyote motor, it is such a drastic jump in power and technology that I think you should trade it in. Here's a question for you that might help you make a decision.

Will your planned mods for the 06 bring the overall performance of the car to a similar level as a 5.0 with the performance pack (Brembo's, 3.73, 19s, stiffer suspension) and add a CAI, tune, and exhaust?

If the answer is yes, then trade up now and don't mod. If your upgrades are going to kill a 5.0 with the above simple reversable mods then keep your current car and have fun.
I'll probably never forge this car, but at 450-480 I think I'd be more than satisfied for quite a while.

I've seen more than one used procharger for the $3K range even in the past week. I bet they'll pop up more and more as others upgrade to coyotes.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:01 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

I'll side with the consensus here... Keep that car for know so you don't have a bigger debt.
And always listen to our female members, they seem to grasp the reality better when it comes to the Hobby and daily life.
Wait out and see what your finances will be like after you have a kid etc...
It is a game changer for sure.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:56 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cobra Drifter
I still have my 01 Cobra and have been modding the hell out of it. Fully forged completely custom built motor, eaton swapped, T-56 swapped, DSS level 5 half shafts etc. Ive spent a grip on this and its value isnt nearly what I spent.

Im going to be selling it soon as I will be changing jobs and not be 5 minutes from the race track anymore. So doubt I will get to race anymore and sure could use all that money to invest in some home improvement projects.

Seems as life goes forward we change our priorities. Have fun and enjoy whichever choice you make but nothing is permenant. Sure it may take years to be able to change but enjoying your car, which ever you choose, is what makes it worth paying payments and mods etc.
Off topic, but that is the baddest mustang I have ever seen.

Sure do love those Vossen's <--- Why the hell do they cost a arm and a leg?
Old 08-07-2012, 08:06 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

ultimately it is your money and your decision. I am living it up while I'm young and can afford the stupid financial decisions. I'm a few years out from 30 and I know at some point I'll need to focus a little more on the future and a little less on the present.. but that point in time is not now, and it's not anytime in the immediate future

I agree with the 'chasing satisfaction' post from Fort L.. but on the other hand I just don't care, and I absolutely live for the excitement a new car project brings me. it's no fun having the completed project for me - but the clean slate always gives me something to look forward to, something to plan out, dream, design ..

it is up to the individual to decide whether it's worth it. it sounds like you should wait a bit, though, after reading your story.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:07 PM
07 Cervini
2nd Gear Member

Keep the car. Any jackwagon can throw money at a new car, but a person that puts time, thought, and design into something they can call their own is what stands out from the crowd.

Quick Reply: To Keep Modding...or to Prepare to Trade?