Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCT Tuner issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 11:19 AM
awbreyjd
2nd Gear Member

Default SCT Tuner issues

My 2013 5.0 computer locked while writing the tune file. Car would not start. Wound up going through about 2 hours of troubleshooting with SCT and multiple firmware loads, before having to send in my Tuner and Cars computer for them to reload the stock tune and check the tuner. They reloaded it, sent it back with the same tuner. I loaded a custom tune just fine. Realized it ran a little Rich. Had Lund Performance modify the tune file. Went to load and again. Cars computer locked and was stuck with a not starting car. Another 3 hours on the Phone with SCT and a special troublshooting firmware load later. Nothing. Basically the cars computer is stuck in boot mode and will not even register that the key is in the on position to move the tune process along. The firmware now loaded on my tuner allows you to force the tuner to attempt to proceed with the tune. Just before I went to pull the computer to once again send into SCT, I decided to give it a try after the battery had been disconnected for 30 mins, and the car was still not registering a key on however the testing firmware I have on my tuner allowed it to force the tune to go through. So now I am adding some parts and will need a revised tune from Lund but hoping that the car will not lock when I try to load it again.

One thing I did notice after the fact. If you have a sync system when performing a tune DO NOT have a blue tooth synced device on or atleast not near the car as I suspect the whole issue may have been the tuner and my phone trying to talk to the car at the same time. Looking back, everytime I had no issues with a tune, my phone was in the house not in my pocket. But once the computer fails a tune, it is a pain to recover it.

Disclaimer: Even with my issues I stand by SCT products as I am one of a few that have had issues. I have used SCT many times on many cars and this is my first problem. I stated my problems and my finding to help anyone else that may run into an issue. SCT support was top notch in helping me out. Sorry for the book.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:29 AM
a_lopez1975
4th Gear Member

Damn, sorry to hear the news. I've had no issues with SCT yet. However, I'm positive you will solve the solution to your problems. Good luck and keep us posted. Sorry for no iput (I'm somewhat still of a Newbie with it comes to Engine modifications)..
Old 08-10-2012, 12:44 PM
Joenpb
2nd Gear Member

I never have anything else powered up on the car when loading a tune, and have never had an issue.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:27 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

I just recently had an issue with my 2012.

I also recommend you do not try to load a tune (stock or custom) until you turn car off, open doors and make sure all of the retained power has totally cut off.

The time that I had an issue and it crashed on the tune load I had pulled over, turned the car off and immediately began to load a tune. However .. the retained power was still on and the tune failed to load halfway through and told me to return to stock. Car was dead and stock tune would not reload either... I waited a little while with key off and luckily was able to return to stock and start fresh.

Perhaps the retained power is cutting off during the tune load and that is where the corruption occurs.