Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emergency Brake after Pad Change.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 10:16 AM
NateKR

Default Emergency Brake after Pad Change.

Just recently changed the rear pads on my 08 GT. Since then my emergency brake doesnt seem to hold as tight as it did in the past. I could usually park it on a hill pull the brake (about half way) and put it in park but before shifting into park the brake would hold. Now it needs to be pulled almost all the way up before i could really feel a difference. The pads have been changed for about 2 weeks now. Anyone know how to tighten it?
Old 08-11-2012, 10:28 AM
Fort LiquordaleGT
2nd Gear Member

click here
Old 08-11-2012, 10:57 AM
6-Speed
2nd Gear Member

Did you line up the caliper piston so the notch on the piston face fits into the pin on the backside of the inboard brake pad?

Old 08-11-2012, 01:18 PM
NateKR

Yep had to. If I didnt the caliper wouldnt go back on.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:39 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Check the connection at the calliper and make sure its right. I put mine back together wrong one time.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:18 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Tightening it is pretty easy. There's an adjustment nut on the cable / handle where you tighten/loosen. I want to say 10mm but it's been a couple years. It is a tight spot so I adjusted mine by hand to start to remove slack then the wrench. Do not overtighten it though!
Old 06-14-2015, 04:25 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

A few weeks ago I saw a posting about tightening the emergency brake to get it to work better. I went out and got the 10mm deep socket, then, ignored it. Yesterday I finally did it. Here in my area of NC the "E" brake isn't really needed big time. But I was always thinking I didn't like the handle going so far up when applied. Today that wasn't a problem! Much nicer! Used to make similar adjustment on my old BMW, but, never bothered on the '05 GT. I sometimes push my car out of the garage, or, all I need to do is bump in reverse (5 - Speed) and it'll roll out on its own. That didn't change, so I don't reckon I made it too tight.

The reason I am bothering you all with this, is that I was impressed that the adjustment also made a difference in the feel of the brake pedal on the road. Wasn't expecting that, and I like it for sure. Brakes work, worked today, but the two damn cars that nearly rear ended me today need to pay attention!
Old 06-15-2015, 03:09 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by NateKR
Just recently changed the rear pads on my 08 GT. Since then my emergency brake doesnt seem to hold as tight as it did in the past. I could usually park it on a hill pull the brake (about half way) and put it in park but before shifting into park the brake would hold. Now it needs to be pulled almost all the way up before i could really feel a difference. The pads have been changed for about 2 weeks now. Anyone know how to tighten it?
The bolt under the e-brake is for taking up slack as the cable stretches. I wouldn't use it to 'adjust' the e-brake pull. You most likely just need to take the play out of the calipers since you spread them out when you put the new pads in.

To do this, put the car in neutral (or park if you are auto) and with the wheels chocked so you don't roll (manual), pull the E-brake handle up as high as it will go a few times (while holding the release button). After a few pulls you should feel the distance get shorter. If you don't then you can use the nut to take up some of the slack then try again.

Think about it. If you JUST put in new pads, the travel should be longer, not shorter. It's longer because you pushed the calipers all the way in to put the new pads in so the distance between the pad surface and the rotor surface is further than what it was before.

When you brake normally, they whole caliper slides so you don't really notice a different engagement from the pedal, just the e-brake because it's mechanical.

Last edited by Derf00; 06-15-2015 at 03:16 PM.