Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any cons with a glass roof?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 02:16 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

http://www.mustangevolution.com/must...-2009-mustang/

http://corporate.ford.com/news-cente...light-on-28813

Google does wonders people...

It's not just glass slapped on the roof. It's got an anti-vibration layer built into the glass and is treated to reduce damaging sun rays. The integritiy of the chassis is not compromised. Plus, keep in mind that the 05+ and 2010+ are designed from the bottom up to be a convertible so the frame rigidity is 90% in the unibody of the car and not soley reliant on the roof like pre 05 models.

Last edited by Derf00; 08-16-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:56 PM
George_ORH
1st Gear Member

I have a 2010Gt with the glass roof option.

I LOVE IT.

The glass is tinted and hasn't given my interior any issues yet.
I keep the shade pulled most of the time during the day and open it up late pm's or
at night.

Weight? No idea.
If someone is that concerned about the weight, I doubt they really want the glass roof. It's a luxury item/option,,, Kind of like power windows, power locks, electric seats, etc. All of those items have parts that add weight to the car (just saying)- But those items are sure NICE to have!

I love the exterior look of the car with the glass roof as well, Just gives it a little something extra.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:50 PM
Hamhole
1st Gear Member

The glass roof is awesome. Many people at car shows are surprised when I mention it in passing and they go over to take a look.

The only con with a glass roof is getting honked at from behind because you're staring at all the trees overhead at the red light.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:17 PM
potman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MrSandman
Norm, ive heard a lot of people make those arguments.. but none of them has provided any kind of proof that a glass roof will degrade performance. This is the first ive heard of chassis stiffness. I doubt thats an issue considering the glass is less flexible (and actually stronger) than the paper thin sheet metal on a typical coupe.
This would lead me to suspect that the glass would crack under heavy flexing. I would think though that Ford would have taken this into account and made the chasis stronger to compensate.

I looked at a yellow one with a glass roof before I bought mine. The glass roof was sharp, but the inside shade was off track, buckled and really messed up. Since it was new on the lot and already messed up I decided to avoid it.

Last edited by potman; 08-20-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:25 PM
Joenpb
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by potman
I looked at a yellow one with a glass roof before I bought mine. The glass roof was sharp, but the inside shade was off track, buckled and really messed up. Since it was new on the lot and already messed up I decided to avoid it.
Exactly, if a convertible top is shot in 5 years as a daily driver the sun shade will be toast in three.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:19 PM
wingless
2nd Gear Member

The glass roof is great!

Old 08-23-2012, 08:01 AM
George_ORH
1st Gear Member

I'm sure the sun shade on the roof could easily be repaired. But I do treat mine like a "convertible" in that I usually leave it closed and just open it on occasion. For people who have never been in a glass roofed mustang, They make the car feel very "open".

I had considered having mine tinted if I wanted it open all the time. My local tint guru said it wouldn't be a problem if I ever want to.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:13 PM
potman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wingless
The glass roof is great!

Spoiler delete looks nice too.

Classy ride ya got there.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:00 PM
wingless
2nd Gear Member

The glass roof was sharp, but the inside shade was off track, buckled and really messed up. Since it was new on the lot and already messed up I decided to avoid it.
FWIW, the roof shade got sticky on mine, so the dealership swapped it under warranty.

Mine is opened each time butt pressure is applied to the driver's seat and closed when I exit the vehicle.

It opens-up the interior and I love this option.

Spoiler delete looks nice too.

Classy ride ya got there.
Thank you very much. It is a great vehicle.

My F150 Mustang is also very handy for hauling stuff, as well as butt.

Old 06-06-2015, 08:38 PM
sassystang

Default glass roof shade repair

Does anyone know how to repair a shade that is off the track?

Quick Reply: Any cons with a glass roof?